20 year old Arvydas Sabonis vs 20 YO Lebron

resilient part 2

I am going full @the lone starmode here, but if Sabonis was 20 years old and eligible for the draft, and so was Lebron, again, who would you take in today's game? 

I know Lebron is a sure thing and today's game reflects less value in great centers etc.. But just think about it for a second. Sabonis would be like a Shaq size bigman with Jokic like skills but better. A.S may very well be as good if not the best passing Big ever. At near 7'3 and over 300 pounds would be the best rebounder easy in today's game. He had a legit 3 point shot as well. Only weakness is the PNR defense. Yet he was athletic enough and long enough to minimize that issue IMO.

In a ERA where it is nearly impossible to find a great bigman and seeing what impact Embiid and Jokic have on the game, I can't imagine Sabonis not being in the MVP talk for just about every year he plays .

Is this just blasphemy taking anyone over Lebron or does Big Sabonis have a legit debate??

PS- for those who did not witness, it was Sabonis dwarfing David Robinson and beating the 88 USA Olympic squad to caused the US to go "dream team" 

Edited by resilient part 2

Sabonis was amazing, but perimeter players control the game now. I'd take LeBron without thinking twice.

Sabonis could obviously find great success in this era considering players like Jokic and Gasol thrived. However, with how the game is played today there's just no reason to take a big man, ANY big man, over LeBron. It's not even just LeBron either: there's a lot of perimeter players I'd take to start a franchise today before I'd consider a big man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

At this point I would only take Lebron KD and Giannis over a young Sabonis. and Barely however. I just see Sabonis as Jokic with Shaq like power. 

a hybrid of Jokic/Shaq would be so dominant today.

Young Sabonis did not have Shaq power. He was big, but let's not go crazy now. Embiid? Yeah, probably.

• Like 2

Do I take the best (or second best to some) all around player of all time or a guy who was a pretty great big that never got to show what he really could have done against NBA talent in his prime and had a solid career here once he arrived?  Not a tough decision at all for me. 

Not surprised many/all have taken Lebron. A top 3-5 player all-time, plus in this ERA. My whole debate was Sabonis would/should be considered closer overall. 

Just for a point, Other than KD, Lebron and probably Giannis.. Steph Curry is a toss up and definitely take Sabonis over Harden, Westbrook, and whomever else I am not mentioning..

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Young Sabonis did not have Shaq power. He was big, but let's not go crazy now. Embiid? Yeah, probably.

No, of course, no one did. But the man was a damn big second place in that category. (Wilt not included) would like to add that the current physical training methods of today's NBA ERA would have enhanced Arvydas up a notch as well.

12 hours ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Quarantine has really done some work on you man. This shouldn't even be close. 

it definitely has... but true to myself, I say it should be closer.. It is just hard when A.S has never really been seen in his prime and many fans can't make a true assessment.

59 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

it definitely has... but true to myself, I say it should be closer.. It is just hard when A.S has never really been seen in his prime and many fans can't make a true assessment.

I mean that's what make it so easy to choose LeBron.

The choice you gave everyone was between a proven, guaranteed at absolute minimum top 10 player of all-time vs. some guy who had a few decent NBA seasons and would have to stay healthy and reach the absolute peak of his potential to make it close.

Why wouldn't everyone take LeBron?

I mean, who would you choose: 20-year-old Larry Bird or 20-year-old Greg Oden?

21 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean that's what make it so easy to choose LeBron.

The choice you gave everyone was between a proven, guaranteed at absolute minimum top 10 player of all-time vs. some guy who had a few decent NBA seasons and would have to stay healthy and reach the absolute peak of his potential to make it close.

Why wouldn't everyone take LeBron?

I mean, who would you choose: 20-year-old Larry Bird or 20-year-old Greg Oden?

not a good comparison...Sabonis was healthy for most of his 20s Oden never was.. many people actually considered Sabonis the best player in the world in the 80s as well.