2K20--Training Camp

onejayhawk

In theory, rookies should report on Saturday. How things work with COVID around remains to be seen. Two big contracts--PM II and Chris Jones--are now , but non of the drafted rookies are under contract. It promises to be an interesting start to camp. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/7/14/21323987/chiefs-rookies-to-report-for-training-camp-on-saturday-we-hope-nfl-nflpa-coronavirus

A couple of things I expect to see:

• Serious warfare for DL spots. Jones, Clark and Nnadi are givens. Probably, 5th round pick Michael Danna will find a roster spot. That leaves about nine players chasing four, maybe five jobs.
  • Significant effort to bring in new return players. Several UDFA have experience and success returning kicks. The team wants Mecole Hardman to focus more on the offense making at least one position available.
  • A scramble in the secondary. We drafted two CB and brought in several more. we also signed safety in Rodney Clemons. On the flip side, it has not been determined how well Thornhill is recovered and Bashaud Breeland playing status. I would not be surprised to see Clemons make the team out of camp and rookie CB playing significant minutes in September.
  • A retool of the OL. We had a pretty good unit last year, but there are warning signs. We had to grab an almost 40 veteran to play the home stretch both, while tackles are in the last two years of their contracts. Lucas Niang is a talent, but also injured. Where will he play this year and long term.

J

Today, the first players repor

Jted for testing. Tomorrow, more tests. If a player gets two negatives in a row, then he can go on to other things, such as enter the building and getting a locker.. Something resembling camp will start Wednesday.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/20/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-what-we-know-covid-19-testing-physicals-equipment-fitting-practice/

J

so .. obviously no pre-season games.

72-hour between initial two tests may have delayed Chiefs TC. Don't think it will matter with no pre-season games.

Will be interesting how they handle the rosters and practice squads when count down day comes along. Cutting vets based on TC performance alone would be tough I think. Extended PS even over the (raised) CBA limit?

A practice squad option/waiver period  if a player released is claimed by some other team? Guess they'll have to be creative here  .... 

A full 16 game season is now in jeopardy.  Players are retiring at an unusually high rate. They want no part of "the season of Covid".

It will be interesting to see which teams play to "judge and grade their talent", as "preseason-like". Let's face it, some teams are simply in the throes of an overhaul.

Some teams, whether you like or not, will "play" for a high draft slot. They'll have an easier time to get away with this, with a reduced schedule in all likelihood.

Some teams have a reasonable shot at riches. They'll play hard for as many games they can play. And get into the "playoffs".

This will be a season full of surprises. I just hope the NFL plays enough games to call it a season.

Edited by mayanfootball

11 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

A full 16 game season is now in jeopardy.  Players are retiring at an unusually high rate. They want no part of "the season of Covid".

It will be interesting to see which teams play to "judge and grade their talent", as "preseason-like". Let's face it, some teams are simply in the throes of an overhaul.

Some teams, whether you like or not, will "play" for a high draft slot. They'll have an easier time to get away with this, with a reduced schedule in all likelihood.

Some teams have a reasonable shot at riches. They'll play hard for as many games they can play. And get into the "playoffs".

This will be a season full of surprises. I just hope the NFL plays enough games to call it a season.

Report today was that 59 players have tested positive. It isn't addressed how many total tests this is out of; Is it just the Chiefs and Texans or other teams too? It's also before any training camp or games. Other players have commented too that they aren't comfortable. Most recent notable that I can quickly find being Rodney Hudson:

I've been saying it and I'm going to keep saying it. As much as we all want it to happen, there won't be a season.

Yeah, the lack of advance planning is making me less and less optimistic of anything really happening. Especially anything resembling normalcy. Really feels like everyone dragged their feet on figuring this stuff out, hoping it'd be fine by the time they really had to make any decisions, and it just didn't work out that way.

Latest developments:

no pre-season games
TC roster limited to 80 players (instead of 90) - not sure why??? But that means the Chiefs will have to cut 10 players.

I would expect something like:

2 OL
3 WR 
2 DL
1 LB
2 DB

Won't try to put some names behind it as I know nothing about the UDFA.

Pick yourselves: 

Edited by KC_Guy

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, the lack of advance planning is making me less and less optimistic of anything really happening. Especially anything resembling normalcy. Really feels like everyone dragged their feet on figuring this stuff out, hoping it'd be fine by the time they really had to make any decisions, and it just didn't work out that way.

It feels that way with the government as well. We're shutting down, we're opening up, we're shutting down, we're partly opening up... no more bars... but these other  businesses can stay open .... I'm an alcoholic so I'm pissed. And meanwhile other countries that got COVID at the same time as we did have already eliminated the damn thing because they immediately formed a concise plan and stuck with it and didn't have sixty cooks in the kitchen making sure their corporate donors get their back scratched a specific way before they agree to help the dying american people and tackle a rapidly evolving economic crisis that could evict like 10% of the population or some ****. I just want this **** to end. I work customer service, it's very tiring dealing with the opinionated sheep public all day about it. I don't give a **** what you read about masks on facebook, just buy your **** and move on.

Edited by Kirill

Wire has a projection of the 53 man roster. They play it very safe, with almost no turnover.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/gallery/kansas-city-chiefs-training-camp-53-man-roster-projection/

That said, there are things I disagree with. One is no Taco Charlton. Another is no rookie WR. Taco is an effective pass rusher who fits the Spagnuolo mold. He's a washout as a 1st round player, but he can still help a roster. The team has given clear indication that they want to get a new PR, so that Micole Hardman can focus on offense.

J

Pride did a nice article covering the schedule and the special rules concerning COVID. Among other things, most indoor gatherings are off limits--bars, parties, churches--if attendance is over 25% of capacity. I wonder how Johnny Manziel would have coped.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/7/27/21340410/we-have-the-schedule-for-chiefs-training-camp-nfl-coronavirus

J

Initial 80 man roster.

Offense (38)

Pos. First Second Third Fourth
QB Patrick Mahomes Matt Moore Chad Henne Jordan Ta’amu
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire Darrel Williams, Darwin Thompson DeAndre Washington Elijah McGuire
FB Anthony Sherman      
WR Tyreek Hill Demarcus Robinson, Byron Pringle Kalija Lipscomb, Maurice Ffrench  Andre Baccellia
WR Sammy Watkins Mecole Hardman, Gehrig Dieter Jody Fortson Justice Shelton-Mosley
TE Travis Kelce Deon Yelder Ricky Seals-Jones Nick Keizer
LT Eric Fisher Greg Senat Yasir Durant  
LG Kelechi Osemele Andrew Wylie Nick Allegretti  
C Austin Reiter Nick Allegretti Darryl Williams  
RG Mike Remmers Ryan Hunter Lucas Niang  
RT Mitchell Schwartz Lucas Niang Jackson Barton

Defense (42)

Pos. First Second Third
LDE Alex Okafor  Breeland Speaks Demone Harris, Taco Charlton
LDT Chris Jones Khalen Saunders Tershawn Wharton
RDT Derrick Nnadi Mike Pennel Devaroe Lawrence
RDE Frank Clark Tanoh Kpassagnon Mike Danna, Tim Ward
LB Anthony Hitchens Willie Gay Jr. Ben Niemann, Darius Harris
LB Damien Wilson Dorian O’Daniel Emmanuel Smith, Omari Cobb
LCB Charvarius Ward Antonio Hamilton Hakeem Bailey
RCB Bashaud Breeland L’Jarius Sneed Chris Lammons
SCB Rashad Fenton Alex Brown Lavert Hill
FS Daniel Sorensen Tedric Thompson  
SS Tyrann Mathieu Armani Watts Rodney Clemons

Special teams (3)

Pos. First Second Third
P Tommy Townsend    
K Harrison Butker    
KO Harrison Butker    
LS James Winchester    
H Tommy Townsend    
PR Tyreek Hill Justice Shelton-Mosley Maurice Ffrench
KR Mecole Hardman Maurice Ffrench Justice Shelton-Mosley

• 3 weeks later...

Tons of injuries  .. not good. May be related to no OTAs? I think it was the right decision to scrap all pre-season games as they would have increased the risk even more.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/8/16/21371011/third-practice-chiefs-cornerback-alex-brown-tears-acl-likely-out-for-season-nfl-training-camp

Alex Brown officially on IR.

Chiefs brought in two new guys: 

WR Aleva Hifo is back, and they claimed TE Daniel Helm on waivers from San Francisco. May be related to Yelder being nicked up some?

Edited by KC_Guy

Hifo was released two weeks ago. He was thought to be a potential PR. My guess is that no one has grabbed the job and the team wants options to having Mecole Harman do it again.

Helm is an in line blocker, which makes sense since Seals-Jones isn't and I would not be comfortable with Nick Keizer as the TE2.

J

Tight ends have been falling like flies. Yelder was released, then Ricky Seals-Jones was carted offthe field, Leaving only Kelce and Keizer. The team claimed Daniel Helm off waivers (SF), but more moves may be coming. Here is an article speculating on potential signings.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-tight-ends-to-sign-following-injuries/

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Tight ends have been falling like flies. Yelder was released, then Ricky Seals-Jones was carted offthe field, Leaving only Kelce and Keizer. The team claimed Daniel Helm off waivers (SF), but more moves may be coming. Here is an article speculating on potential signings.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-tight-ends-to-sign-following-injuries/

J

Where did you get that they released Yelder? Or did you mix him up with Lovett??