Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

Because....?

I remember Z lining up inside against the Vikings on early downs and destroying them.

Who says they will ONLY do it on passing downs? Again I think people aren’t thinking outside the box on these issue enough. The offense can get better without adding a WR. The run defense can get better without adding Dline.

Because it's not very smart to continously wear them down in the running game when they are (Z) or can be (Gary) elite as OLB. The prototype player you need is a big guy like Calais Campbell, not guys eho weight 275 pounds. It's completely different to do it from time to time during a game.

2 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Because it's not very smart to continously wear them down in the running game when they are (Z) or can be (Gary) elite as OLB. The prototype player you need is a big guy like Calais Campbell, not guys eho weight 275 pounds. It's completely different to do it from time to time during a game.

Fact is it will likely be match up based. But Pettine talked about best 11 on the field. Gary is likely viewed as that.

I don’t know why you’re bring up Campbell... unless you think I’m suggesting they are trying to force players into traditional 3-4 roles.

Im suggesting they likely view getting their best 11 on the field. And finding the best way to make a run defense scheme based on the pieces. I don’t think Petrine thinks he can ask z or Gary to be a tradition 3-4 DE. 

he can however figure out a run defense where he can use lowery, Clark, Smith, Smith, Gary, kirksey, Burks/Keke with some consistency.

We went into training camp with 15 TT-era players on the roster. Amazingly, somehow only one failed to make it through the roster cutdown (Kumerow),

I would've bet large sums of money before the draft that we would eventually cut Jake Kumerow, Montravous Adams, Lane Taylor and Robert Tonyan.

Yeah, with the 3-week IR, there could be a decent number of IR's.  Between 16 on PS and some others being added to replace IR's, a whole bunch of releases will be getting paid by the Packers.  Interesting roster, and I'm intrigued by the Taylor keep.  

I'll be surprised if more than one or two of our released guys get picked up.  Maybe none.  

It will be interesting to see whether Gute picks up anybody else's releases.  

4 hours ago, JQ1 said:

So it looks like Montravious has made the team...for now. 

Hopefully he heads to IR for a while so we can use his roster spot. Don't think Gute has the stones to cut him because Adams is his guy for some reason, so he could use IR as the excuse to get him off the roster for now. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Yeah, with the 3-week IR, there could be a decent number of IR's.  Between 16 on PS and some others being added to replace IR's, a whole bunch of releases will be getting paid by the Packers.  Interesting roster, and I'm intrigued by the Taylor keep.  

Just trying to confirm the IR rules, I keep reading people talking about the a 3-week IR rule, but I can't find anything about the NFL actually passing the 3-week rule.

Best I can come up with is Mike Florio posting that the NFL is expected to pass a 3 week IR Covid-19 rule, specifically for those that fail Covid-19 test. But I can't find if that actually got voted on and passed, nor if other IR players could use the 3 week rule.

So is the IR still at 8 weeks? Or what 3 week IR has been passed by the NFL?

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

Just trying to confirm the IR rules, I keep reading people talking about the a 3-week IR rule, but I can't find anything about the NFL actually passing the 3-week rule.

Best I can come up with is Mike Florio posting that the NFL is expected to pass a 3 week IR Covid-19 rule, specifically for those that fail Covid-19 test. But I can't find if that actually got voted on and passed, nor if other IR players could use the 3 week rule.

So is the IR still at 8 weeks? Or what 3 week IR has been passed by the NFL?

It's 3 weeks. A player can resume practicing and play 21 days after being placed on IR assuming that player was originally on the 53-man roster. Doesn't have to be COVID related.

Think of it as the NFL's version of MLB's 15-day DL.

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

According to Spotrac, Packers right around $12 mil in cap space with the current roster. 

Plenty of room for Clay Matthews to not play ILB, for Damon Harrison to not play in Green Bay, for us to not trade for Alshon Jefferey, who is rumored to be on the block, for Sanu to play somewhere else, for Veldheer to sign with someone else and for us to not make a single significant move all season.

35 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's 3 weeks. A player can resume practicing and play 21 days after being placed on IR assuming that player was originally on the 53-man roster. Doesn't have to be COVID related.

Think of it as the NFL's version of MLB's 15-day DL.

Thanks, looking for it the rule via "3 weeks" wasn't getting me anywhere, but "21 days" search found it quickly.

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

According to Spotrac, Packers right around $12 mil in cap space with the current roster. 

I believe that's $12 million counting the top 51, counting the top 53 it's $11 million.

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Plenty of room for Clay Matthews to not play ILB, for Damon Harrison to not play in Green Bay, for us to not trade for Alshon Jefferey, who is rumored to be on the block, for Sanu to play somewhere else, for Veldheer to sign with someone else and for us to not make a single significant move all season.

Exact, because they're smart!

- We're $11 million under in 2020

- But currently $5 million over the 2021 minimum

While reportedly trying to resign OT David Bakhtiari and RB Aaron Jones and have room to sign an FA or two, only for their fans to complain that they did "not make a single significant move all season."

They're playing chess, while your complaining about checkers.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I believe that's $12 million counting the top 51, counting the top 53 it's $11 million.

Exact, because they're smart!

- We're $11 million under in 2020

- But currently $5 million over the 2021 minimum

While reportedly trying to resign OT David Bakhtiari and RB Aaron Jones and have room to sign an FA or two, only for their fans to complain that they did "not make a single significant move all season."

They're playing chess, while your complaining about checkers.

You gotta remember who you’re quoting.  Who on this site is the most opposed to frivolous spending and acquisitions?  

We need to make in-season moves if they make sense, but I was mostly pointing out we’re not going to do any of those things, not complaining about it.

• Like 1