Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

43 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think it depends on the game plan, if we're thinking about being a pass first team, then I think they certainly should of signed Veldeer.

But if they're thinking of a run first team, then Wagner and Turner make more sense, though I still feel more comfortable with Veldeer.

As far as Gute being cheap, I don't think it's that, as they signed Wagner to a contract worth over $6.5 million in the first year, with $5.75 guaranteed. Where if they were simply cheap, they could of signed Veldeer for $3.5 with less than $1.5 guaranteed.

I think they're thinking about running the ball more.

They might also be waiting to see what shows up on the waiver wire Saturday before making a move. 

6 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

They might also be waiting to see what shows up on the waiver wire Saturday before making a move. 

Undrafted second year player who spent last year as a roommate of a fellow undrafted teammate who had one special teams tackle for the Bengals.  From Utah.

Best Gute can do.

On 9/2/2020 at 2:45 PM, packfanfb said:

This next week will say a lot about Gute's priorities this season. If he's concerned about the future and wants to hold onto this remaining cap space for future problems, he won't make a move and will go into the season with the holes/depth concerns we currently have at OT, DL and ILB (not even talking about WR at this point). If he wants to take a serious run at winning this year, Veldheer and some vet combination of a DL/ILB will be Packers by start of next week. 

Here's to my personal hope that it's the latter.  

How many times have you made nearly this exact post? O/U 100

• Like 1

We don't really know the injury levels, of course.  Wagner was back at practice, two weeks prior to opening day.  Maybe they think he'll be perfectly fine by opening day?  And that with his experience he'll be fine; and after a month in camp and a couple of weeks of actually practicing, they think he'll be as or more ready to play week one as some new pickup would be?  Or Veldheer too?  

Turner's hurt, but they've got the medicals, and maybe it's modest,.  Maybe he's going to miss a week or two.  Just trying to think hopefully here.  

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's a crazy world we're living in when signing Veldheer and scrap heap DL/ILB's would be interpreted as signs of making a serious run at winning.

Not if you look at the history of the league and see that free agency is won in August-October.

Preseason and mid season acquisitions are typically the moves that work out the best.  Big free agents can help, but they typically take a couple years to get you to the Super Bowl win with light, timely, affordable additions along the way.

53 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I'll take the over.

I feel like the forum would flip preeeetty quick on Veldheer. There's no way he wouldn't be about par with Billy and Rick over a few games..

And that's fine. You're not signing Veldheer to start, you're signing him as insurance at both OT positions so Alex Light doesn't end 12's season when he whiffs on the DE. If he's on par with Wag/Turner, that's okay.

41 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And that's fine. You're not signing Veldheer to start, you're signing him as insurance at both OT positions so Alex Light doesn't end 12's season when he whiffs on the DE. If he's on par with Wag/Turner, that's okay.

So youre signing a 3rd string tackle right now?

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Still waiting for Gute to make up his mind. Either go for it or get rid of 12. 

Signing two aholes who are on the street 7 days before the first game is only "going for it" to you though lol.

We're talking about busted *** Jason Veldheer and some random unnamed guy who isn't on a NFL roster that totals nearly 3k players as the pathway to a title.

SIGN TWO NOBODIES OR YOU ARE PUNTING THE SEASON AND YOU MUST BLOW IT UP.

Seems pretty God damn extreme to me.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

It's a crazy world we're living in when signing Veldheer and scrap heap DL/ILB's would be interpreted as signs of making a serious run at winning.

Exactly. If I passed that on to any other fan base they would die laughing at that logic.