Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

If only I had any respect for Silverstein's ability to judge players.  At this point we're not far from game 1, we'll see what the situation is when we get there.  Also, I swear to god people's weird desire to see every time a player gets put on the ground as some objective proof they're not fit to play NFL football is absolutely baffling to me.  Anyone who's ever played knows it happens to everyone eventually, and it's generally due more to things like not having your feet set or tripping over someone.  Unless it's happening with regularity, I literally could not care less.

·
1h

One day after #Packers ILB Kamal Martin undergoes knee surgery (news thoroughly reported by , much to Matt LaFleur's chagrin), ILB Oren Burks is back in action. But, S/ILB hybrid Raven Greene remains out, which is not ideal. RT/RG Billy Turner is also not practicing.

Burks back is a good sign. Looking more and more like Billy Turner could be highest paid backup G/T in the NFL. (I have not researched that). 

This next week will say a lot about Gute's priorities this season. If he's concerned about the future and wants to hold onto this remaining cap space for future problems, he won't make a move and will go into the season with the holes/depth concerns we currently have at OT, DL and ILB (not even talking about WR at this point). If he wants to take a serious run at winning this year, Veldheer and some vet combination of a DL/ILB will be Packers by start of next week. 

Here's to my personal hope that it's the latter.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This next week will say a lot about Gute's priorities this season. If he's concerned about the future and wants to hold onto this remaining cap space for future problems, he won't make a move and will go into the season with the holes/depth concerns we currently have at OT, DL and ILB (not even talking about WR at this point). If he wants to take a serious run at winning this year, Veldheer and some vet combination of a DL/ILB will be Packers by start of next week. 

Here's to my personal hope that it's the latter.  

I don't think they're doing anything at DL and ILB unless they see a steal, like last year we traded for Goodson for the price of paying his low salary and maybe being forced to swap 7ths (which we didn't have to do).

I think using a SS as a coverage LB and Summers and or OLB is their answer at ILB.

At DL, I strongly believe they're strongly looking at 3 OLBers packages with Z and/or Gary at DT. 

I could see Veldeer or Tramon Williams as possible additions, though I'm still not sure why they haven't pulled the trigger already if they were going to do it... only answer I can think of, is get to 53 first, IR some guys (say Martin) and then list them....

Unless they truely believe Light has the backup job down... I wonder if they'll even practice Runyan there.

Thats a bummer on the injury front.....at two positions we didnt need players getting knee injuries at. Based on "training camp" reports I'd raised expectations Martin would be a contributor this year - but missing six weeks is gonna set him back. Lets hope Kirksey holds up.

Wonder it Taylor is looking better for RG with Turner holding the fort at RT.

Don't know if you guys heard Aaron presser today but he had some proper praise for MVS, saying he has put together a nice seven to ten days of practice and that he is getting into good standards in his practice habits and he is getting smarter. Good to hear.

Aaron when asked about the RT seemed quite unsettled and felt it was 'murky.'  Did not sound confident one bit. I'm forecasting a strip sack in the first series against Minny. Really feel we need to be on the horn to Veldheer asap.

• Like 1

Sad about Martin, been wanting some top flight ILB play for awhile. This year will end up being a major asterisk, but I think the team with the most continuity from last year will have a major advantage.  I definitely think that GB wants to wait until after week 1 to  sign Veldheer for salary reasons and do not doubt that Veldheer wants to preserve his body, sounds like a match made in  heaven. I think we have a great shot this year and am thrilled to have Packer football to talk about.