Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

I thought media couldnt talk about the Depth Chart. Its a ruse.

Also. Being 4th isnt that big of a negative. Lewis is obviously 1st blocking TE Deguara is the 1st HBack and apparently Tonyan is doing well. Essentially Jace is 2nd at each of those positions?.

Edited by HighCalebR

3 hours ago, Smidgeon said:

I had hopes for Jace.  This is disheartening.

Consider the source... Anything to do with Silverstuin or any other Packer newspaper columnist is less than worthless. If you want some actual reports with merit, I'd go with CHTV or  APC.

The thing with Jace is---- he had covid! He was cleared for practice less than two weeks ago.

As long as he stays healthy, Jace is gonna be a good player this year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Donzo said:

Consider the source... Anything to do with Silverstuin or any other Packer newspaper columnist is less than worthless. If you want some actual reports with merit, I'd go with CHTV or  APC.

The thing with Jace is---- he had covid! He was cleared for practice less than two weeks ago.

As long as he stays healthy, Jace is gonna be a good player this year.

Eh.  I'm firmly of the opinion that he won't be "good" for at least another year.  Seems to take TE's time to figure it out and get their college body into an NFL body.  Especially at that position.

My hope for him is that he can find a role in the passing game where he can focus on what he does well, run routes and get in and out of breaks.  He should contribute there this year.

Jace was Covid, and he's played very little football, college and pro combined.  So, it wouldn't surprise if he's not a quick study for knowing all of the positions.  Maybe he was off on some positioning one practice.  Doesn't mean he won't learn them better moving forward, and by October he'll be fine?  

Also true that media tend to notice noticeable plays, whether good or bad. :)  Garvin got him off balance and plowed him backward one play; maybe it's symptomatic, but maybe a fluke balance error?  Doesn't mean he'll be getting plowed all the time.  Silverstein noted that he seemed OK blocking in a later practice.  

Hopefully he'll catch up in due time, and end up contributing well, this season and beyond.  I'm just guessing that at this point he's behind, and won't be getting tons of September snaps, or as many TE snaps as we maybe expected prior to camp.  

One of the questions I've got with TE is about the "deception" factor.  We always hear the concept that we want this run-pass offense where the defense doesn't know what's coming, and/or that whatever package the defense puts on the field, we'll be able to recognize and attack the vulnerabilities.  But to some degree, I do still wonder how run/pass ambiguous our TE's can actually be?  Lewis, obviously he tends to tell "run", and requires zero attention as a pass-catcher.  Do Tonyan or Jace tell "'pass", or even if we surprise with run they run-block so poorly that runs still won't work great even if defenses are suspecting pass?  

I guess I'm wondering whether you don't maybe need better two-way TE's to make the offense thrive?  Or whether any/all of Jace, Deguara, and Tonyan are good enough at both phases? 

yes, I get we can do 2-TE sets with both Lewis-run and Tonyan/Jace-pass.  My concern there is that basically you've then only got three possible pass targets, in Tonyan/Jace, Adams, and 2nd WR.  Even if a defense is packaging for run, I'm not sure how effective our pass will be with only those three targets, if that question makes sense?   

It’s most unfortunate to lose Martin, for the team, and especially for that young man who has worked so hard to recover from his previous knee injury. By many accounts, the injury history was the reason he dropped to the 5th round when he’d been a projected 3rd rounder (by some).

The rest of the story though, is: Who steps in? Burkes is/has been hurt...again. Hybrid Raven Greene - hurt again. Ty Summers? Somebody who wasn’t on the team last year? It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Film at 11...

Level 1:
Promising #Packers LB Kamal Martin had surgery on his meniscus yesterday, source confirmed. He’s likely out 6-8 weeks, making him an IR/designated to return candidate.

I believe Martin has to be on the original 53 before being placed on IR to be eligible to be designated for return. Correct? 

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

I believe Martin has to be on the original 53 before being placed on IR to be eligible to be designated for return. Correct? 

According to the rules last year. There’s a new CBA and the Covid protocol, so that may not be the case this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Eh.  I'm firmly of the opinion that he won't be "good" for at least another year.  Seems to take TE's time to figure it out and get their college body into an NFL body.  Especially at that position.

My hope for him is that he can find a role in the passing game where he can focus on what he does well, run routes and get in and out of breaks.  He should contribute there this year.

I liked what I saw when he flashed a bit in the playoffs. Also liked the early reports on his progress from the end of last year... The guy looks like  a player to me.

The whole thing will be his health. There's different info on the aftereffects of covid. We'll see how doe?!?

Heard a funny take about Silverstiners' podcast. I guess he was like, "I don't know what could be wrong with him". He didn't even mention his covid diagnosis... Completely amazing buffoonery- lol.

2 hours ago, FlopTube said:

Kamal Martin to undergo knee surgery per Demovsky. “Not season ending but a setback”

The Pack just can't seem to have nice things at ILB- sigh.

Yeah, he needs to be on the 53M roster;  put on the IR ,then brought back when he's ready.... I think 3-5 guys can be brought back this year. No designations are required now.

Edited by Donzo