Packers 2020 Training Camp

Brat&Beer

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Anybody assuming Veldheer wants to play to start the season is missing the boat. Dude's body is a wreck. 

He probably wants to wait to the halfway point in the year, look at the contending teams and come in that way.

No way does he want to sit through training camp.

He keeps liking on twitter everyone who is saying for us to sign him, and made like a "call me" type of tweet to demovsky tweeting about Wagners injury. I know its twitter but maybe he does want to play sooner than later.

14 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Anybody assuming Veldheer wants to play to start the season is missing the boat. Dude's body is a wreck. 

He probably wants to wait to the halfway point in the year, look at the contending teams and come in that way.

No way does he want to sit through training camp.

Anybody assuming Veldheer wants to play is probably listening directly to what Veldheer himself has been saying for a few weeks haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Have a bad feeling that we are going to learn the "hard way" about not signing Veldheer.

Agreed. Can't help but see this as a situation where the team has decided against signing a player that stepped in and helped immensely the previous year due to age/wear-n-tear.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Agreed. Can't help but see this as a situation where the team has decided against signing a player that stepped in and helped immensely the previous year due to age/wear-n-tear.

Another term for this: "being cheap." Gute wants to pay Alex Light $750,000 instead of paying Jared Veldheer $3 million.  

• Like 1

I assume Veldheer still qualifies as a vested veteran, so his salary is guaranteed if he's on the roster week 1.  No point in bringing him in now when you can wait a few weeks and avoid that scenario entirely; cold business, but that's the NFL.

On top of that, I think people are expecting a lot more from Veldheer than he's capable of providing, especially in this offense.  For one, never expect a similar level of performance from a guy who starts week 16 and a guy who starts week 1; consider how different Lancaster looked in 2018 vs 2019.  Fresh legs make a world of difference in a game as brutal as pro football, and pass rushers have a lot less juice after 700+ snaps.  For two, Veldheer was a really nice athlete when he came out back in 2010, but most of that is gone at this point.  There's not a ton of flexibility in the lower half these days, and he gets by largely through experience and being an absolute unit of a human being.  

I'm down with them signing him as a back-up relief option if indeed the OT situation stays as beat up as it is.  But you probably want to exhaust all other available options before you pick him up.

I think it depends on the game plan, if we're thinking about being a pass first team, then I think they certainly should of signed Veldeer.

But if they're thinking of a run first team, then Wagner and Turner make more sense, though I still feel more comfortable with Veldeer.

As far as Gute being cheap, I don't think it's that, as they signed Wagner to a contract worth over $6.5 million in the first year, with $5.75 guaranteed. Where if they were simply cheap, they could of signed Veldeer for $3.5 with less than $1.5 guaranteed.

I think they're thinking about running the ball more.