CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is about to get real silly, isn't it? 

Yes and no.  So Alexander is a former 5*, but struggled to break into our rotation, and it seems like some of the same things are happening in USC.  The talent level isn’t transitioning to the next level, and he’s stuck not being a starter.  So he’s probably holding that extra year to go to a lesser school to gain a starting spot to see if he can improve his exposure and chances to get into the NFL. 

Whether NIL or depth-chart based, Week 3-4 is going to be a time to watch on the calendar in the years to come with the player being able to throw their redshirt into the equation.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yes and no.  So Alexander is a former 5*, but struggled to break into our rotation, and it seems like some of the same things are happening in USC.  The talent level isn’t transitioning to the next level, and he’s stuck not being a starter.  So he’s probably holding that extra year to go to a lesser school to gain a starting spot to see if he can improve his exposure and chances to get into the NFL. 

Whether NIL or depth-chart based, Week 3-4 is going to be a time to watch on the calendar in the years to come with the player being able to throw their redshirt into the equation.  

I can't see this as a positive character trait. I think you're absolutely right this may become the new norm but it also may be best for kids to stick w/ it. I dunno. This is turning into more of a clustersomthing than I already thought it would

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I can't see this as a positive character trait. 

Maybe but we have no idea what’s going on in his life right now. It may be more than just football. And unless you’ve ever moved across the country to go to college, you have no idea what that’s like in itself. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Maybe but we have no idea what’s going on in his life right now. It may be more than just football. And unless you’ve ever moved across the country to go to college, you have no idea what that’s like in itself. 

People really do be forgetting how they thought as young adults, man. Everyone's got the boomer mentality of "stick it out, pull yourself by the bootstraps and grind" when, in reality, at 19-22, they would've moved on too if they didn't play after being a star athlete in high school. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, thrILL! said:

And if that's the case, come out and say it. In Bear's situation, hopping back and forth, in and out of the portal, doesn't lead me to that being the case. For other recruits, sure, it could be. No denying that

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

And if that's the case, come out and say it.

Are we really blaming a 21 year old for not announcing a possible personal problem to the entire country?

We are fans. I get that this is an entertainment product, recruiting is big business, and we routinely get information that in any other setting would be wildly personal like compensation, medical history, and character traits (that is probably at least equal parts sincere and BS gossip).

But we are not entitled to every thought or struggle that these guys go through, regardless of their pay or fame.

This does not mean I disagree with your criticism of the system in any way. It's an absurd level of negligence that the NCAA has let this get out of control. But the answer is not that every D1 football player needs to be a completely open book so that they can be judged by fans on the worthiness of their transfer. It's an NCAA issue, and we should direct the blame accordingly.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

People really do be forgetting how they thought as young adults, man. Everyone's got the boomer mentality of "stick it out, pull yourself by the bootstraps and grind" when, in reality, at 19-22, they would've moved on too if they didn't play after being a star athlete in high school. 

This has almost nothing to do with football, but my god the expectations on young people (and young men in particular) in terms of being mental health savants the moment they turn 18 are outrageous. No one is self-actualized at that age.

I'm glad this is something we pay attention to now, but this isn't an overnight fix type problem. It's generational.

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This has almost nothing to do with football, but my god the expectations on young people (and young men in particular) in terms of being mental health savants the moment they turn 18 are outrageous. No one is self-actualized at that age.

I'm glad this is something we pay attention to now, but this isn't an overnight fix type problem. It's generational.

100%

When I was his age, I made every decision with little to no real thought of consequences/impact and when I wanted change, I took it because it was easier, which is what 95% of people that age do. I dropped out of college 2x by the time I was 22 ffs. I am in no position to criticize these kids at all. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Are we really blaming a 21 year old for not announcing a possible personal problem to the entire country?

We are fans. I get that this is an entertainment product, recruiting is big business, and we routinely get information that in any other setting would be wildly personal like compensation, medical history, and character traits (that is probably at least equal parts sincere and BS gossip).

But we are not entitled to every thought or struggle that these guys go through, regardless of their pay or fame.

This does not mean I disagree with your criticism of the system in any way. It's an absurd level of negligence that the NCAA has let this get out of control. But the answer is not that every D1 football player needs to be a completely open book so that they can be judged by fans on the worthiness of their transfer. It's an NCAA issue, and we should direct the blame accordingly.

I don't think it's hard to say "I miss home", is it? I dunno.... maybe it is for some.

18 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

100%

When I was his age, I made every decision with little to no real thought of consequences/impact and when I wanted change, I took it because it was easier, which is what 95% of people that age do. I dropped out of college 2x by the time I was 22 ffs. I am in no position to criticize these kids at all. 

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.'

I'm in no position to judge anyone about anything under any circumstances ever. That doesn't stop me from feeling entitled to it sometimes. We pretend these players are assets, not people, and judge accordingly when we do our mock drafts and rosters by positions.

When I was his age, I ran from my problems by getting down a handle to 1.5 handles of whiskey a week, alone. And it sure as hell took me a lot longer than 22 to face them. And when I did, it wasn't alone. I had therapists. I had friends say they were worried. I blew up relationships and pushed everyone away.

If I had been a 5* recruit, everything people had said about Johnny Manziel or Ryan Leaf, they'd have said about me.

I wasn't an arrogant, entitled, know-it-all, selfish, jackass, even if I behaved like one. I was a scared, wounded little kid trying to get through the day.

We should celebrate the people like Victor Wembanyama who appear ready for that level of spotlight, and we should cut the kids who aren't a break. I'll readily confess to not doing this all the time, but the more I age the more I try to take a breath and remember that before I post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't think it's hard to say "I miss home", is it? I dunno.... maybe it is for some.

Why is it any of our business though? The kid is free to transfer wherever he wants as many times as he wants. It's not our place to tell any of these kids what to do or how to be. 

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gracefully admitting failure is a very strong mark of character. I think that's an extraordinarily difficult thing to learn to do, particularly when you aren't used to it.

Is it failure to miss being home though? I've certainly never thought of it that way. I feel like that's something pretty much every kid in college could relate to assuming their upbringing wasn't awful. I don't think too many people would criticize a person for saying such a thing but I'm not going to try to speak for every college student (past and present) in the world