CFB Misc News Thread

naptownskinsfan

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Why is it any of our business though? The kid is free to transfer wherever he wants as many times as he wants. It's not our place to tell any of these kids what to do or how to be. 

It's not but unfortunately if this kid wants to play ball after college, character can be a concern to people. You can't tell me Sanders acting the way he is won't scare a few GMs. Bear isn't on that level but the way his recruiting and transferring has gone, it could leave some w/ negative thoughts. Just my opinion and I'm sure you disagree and there's nothing wrong w/ that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's not but unfortunately if this kid wants to play ball after college, character can be a concern to people. You can't tell me Sanders acting the way he is won't scare a few GMs. Bear isn't on that level but the way his recruiting and transferring has gone, it could leave some w/ negative thoughts. Just my opinion and I'm sure you disagree and there's nothing wrong w/ that

That's why teams meet with players personally. 

And never forget that there are people in the league that will sacrifice character for wins. 

• Like 1

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Is it failure to miss being home though? I've certainly never thought of it that way. I feel like that's something pretty much every kid in college could relate to assuming their upbringing wasn't awful. I don't think too many people would criticize a person for saying such a thing but I'm not going to try to speak for every college student (past and present) in the world 

Imagine having an entire community of people say, for your entire life, "he's the best I've ever seen, he's gonna make the NFL." Imagine there are articles about you that treat you as a prize, a sweepstakes to be won. Imagine getting massive, life changing financial opportunities and having incomprehensible, "get my mom a Benz because I felt like it" money.

Now imagine telling those people you couldn't cut it, and you've gotta go back home.

How would that make you feel? No judgement, I'm sincerely asking.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Imagine having an entire community of people say, for your entire life, "he's the best I've ever seen, he's gonna make the NFL." Imagine there are articles about you that treat you as a prize, a sweepstakes to be won. Imagine getting massive, life changing financial opportunities and having incomprehensible, "get my mom a Benz because I felt like it" money.

Now imagine telling those people you couldn't cut it, and you've gotta go back home.

How much money did I make?

I’d probably pocket the cash, quietly ask for a redshirt, and transfer back closer to home to a smaller school where I could dominate mediocre talent and see if it reignites my love for the game and future aspirations.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

In this age where people's mental states are prioritized (for the most part), I don't think we'll see something like this happen. Do you have any examples to provide where this happened? I honestly can't think of any time where a recruit was demonized for wanting to be closer to home.

Noah Rodgers just moved back to NC after a year at OSU to be closer to home and no one batted an eye. Now, he's now what you described but he's an extremely talented, fringe 5* recruit, which is pretty high profiled.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

In this age where people's mental states are prioritized (for the most part), I don't think we'll see something like this happen. Do you have any examples to provide where this happened? I honestly can't think of any time where a recruit was demonized for wanting to be closer to home.

Noah Rodgers just moved back to NC after a year at OSU to be closer to home and no one batted an eye. Now, he's now what you described but he's an extremely talented, fringe 5* recruit, which is pretty high profiled.

Sure, but that's not what I asked you.

I asked how it would make you feel, which is not related to how other people will respond.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How much money did I make?

I’d probably pocket the cash, quietly ask for a redshirt, and transfer back closer to home to a smaller school where I could dominate mediocre talent and see if it reignites my love for the game and future aspirations.

I don't see how any 5* could do anything quietly these days.

38 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I don't see how any 5* could do anything quietly these days.

If you want to chase the bag, you absolutely have that right and will probably get it; most guys aren’t prepared for the criticism that comes with it.

Fair or not, that’s the price of being a professional or hybrid mercenary. In any job, if you’re not performing up to your paycheck, better prepare yourself for harsh criticism.

It sucks but that’s how it is.

47 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sure, but that's not what I asked you.

I asked how it would make you feel, which is not related to how other people will respond.

I don't really care what people I don't know think of me, if we're being brutally honest. I used to but gave up on that and now limit myself to only letting tangible people have an impact on my mental state.

EDIT: Well, in this sense. Random people still make me feel emotions but it'd be hard for strangers to write words about me to make me upset.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If you want to chase the bag, you absolutely have that right and will probably get it; most guys aren’t prepared for the criticism that comes with it.

Fair or not, that’s the price of being a professional or hybrid mercenary. In any job, if you’re not performing up to your paycheck, better prepare yourself for harsh criticism.

It sucks but that’s how it is.

I agree with you that some people may not have the mentality to be in this much spotlight. And some fans will always be uncaring, or jealous, or whatever it is.

But that doesn't mean at an individual level a fan is justified in any of that behavior, or the underlying feelings that cause it.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How old were you when you hit this realization?

After college and I know what your response will be but the situations aren't comparable. Twitter didn't exist back then. Neither did Reddit. I only bring up those b/c those platforms (well, and here) are those where I interact w/ total strangers. I don't allow strangers to my Facebook profile nor did I w/ MySpace. People in their 20s now have had access to online content and interactions basically since they could get their hands on a phone. We didn't have that. They should be far more trained to handle these situations than I was. Do you not agree?

While I was online a lot earlier than most (I remember going to Ticketmaster forums back in the mid-90s and interacting w/ people... why Ticketmaster? I dunno. Seems weird now lol) but it's such a small sample size and honestly, I'm not going to pretend I know if someone got me upset at one point b/c if we're being real, I'm sure it happened many times. I was a young teenager then. I'm sure I was upset about a lot of things that I didn't need to be upset about lol

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

After college and I know what your response will be but the situations aren't comparable. Twitter didn't exist back then. Neither did Reddit. I only bring up those b/c those platforms (well, and here) are those where I interact w/ total strangers. I don't allow strangers to my Facebook profile nor did I w/ MySpace. People in their 20s now have had access to online content and interactions basically since they could get their hands on a phone. We didn't have that. They should be far more trained to handle these situations than I was. Do you not agree?

No, I do not.

Rates of anxiety and depression in adolescents are skyrocketing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8868033/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5127071/

The 12-month prevalence of MDEs increased from 8.7% in 2005 to 11.3% in 2014 in adolescents and from 8.8% to 9.6% in young adults (both P < .001). The increase was larger and statistically significant only in the age range of 12 to 20 years. The trends remained significant after adjustment for substance use disorders and sociodemographic factors. Mental health care contacts overall did not change over time; however, the use of specialty mental health providers increased in adolescents and young adults, and the use of prescription medications and inpatient hospitalizations increased in adolescents.

Specifically, I object to this:

They should be far more trained to handle these situations than I was.

Access to material online is not the same as therapy. They are not being more trained, pointing to an online article is the mental health equivalent of "pull yourself up by the bootstraps".

• Like 1