Food Draft - Meal Presentation

MKnight82

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'll critique my own.  Going all italian without landing Garlic may have been a mistake.  I think my appetizer and entree would taste good but are rather common and not as creative as some of the others dishes.  

I don’t know.  I didn’t think the absence of garlic was too notable because you still had other aromatics to pick up the slack with bison (I was going to take venison or bison if they reached late rounds for a sausage appetizer).

But, since you brought up garlic, I was surprised no one went for truffles because some have a subtle garlic-like quality, which is why I waited until everyone mostly finished to bid on them.

On 8/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, Daboyle said:

2t2yxve2gsh51.png

Appetizer: Buffalo-Style Baked Turkey Wings (Turkey, Sriracha, Cayenne, Margarine)

Main Course: Turkey Pot Pie (Turkey, Carrots, Green Beans, Green Peas, Turkey Gravy, Cayenne, Dijon mustard, Cognac, Creme fraiche, Pie Crust)

Side: Hasselback Potatoes (Russet Potatoes, Magarine, Creme fraiche, Parsley)

Glass of Cognac

Those wings would be way too hot for me.  I do like sriracha but paired with cayenne, and no dipping sauce?  I like your main course idea and think it used your ingredients well.  Not a fan of Cognac myself but that doesn't really matter.  

On 8/18/2020 at 10:01 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pre-dinner cocktail: Manhattan 

Manhattan.jpg

Dinner:

Grilled Chilean sea bass with Cajun seasoning with pappardelle noodles cooked in a white sauce made from Chardonnay/garlic salt/half and half/lemon juice/pecorino romano/sundried tomatoes.  Paired with Chardonnay.

After dinner drink: bourbon

I probably won’t even pick my own dish, but bourbon, manhattans and wine ain’t a bad meal.  Plus there’s food too.

Lots of booze variety here but don't see any diversity in the food.  

On 8/18/2020 at 10:18 PM, ET80 said:

From this, I make the following:

prime-rib-au-jus-4.jpg

Prime Rib with horseradish sauce and au jus...

1371595152071.jpeg

Pan fried portabello mushroom caps with au jus...

Crispy-Smashed-Potatoes_4a_1500px.jpg

Yukon gold smashed potatoes with horseradish sauce...

Creamy-Spinach-Dip-2.jpg

Creamed spinach and artichoke hearts...

26NEXT-superJumbo.jpg

My personal favorite red to pair with beef - a good Argentinian Malbec.

I prefer pretty much any other beef over Prime Rib but pairing it with horseradish is nice.  I'd probably slice it really thin, grab a roll and make a sandwich with it.  I think your sides are well diversified.  You don't have a dessert, but honestly your meal is so heavy I don't think I'd have room for any.  Malbec is one of my favorite reds.  

@ET80: 3 points. Prime Rib with both of those paired dips, mushrooms, and potatoes...I couldn’t choose anything else even if I wanted to :)

@SwAg: 2 points. The all around taste and texture factor, sheer amount of thought and versatility, and multiple desserts make this one that warrants top consideration.

@LETSGOBROWNIES: 1 Point. The drinks in all actuality sell this. I do like Cajun dishes if done right, albeit I’m generally not a huge pasta fan, but the white sauce puts you over the edge.

MKnight, I liked your dish but I’m not huge on pasta, albeit your dessert really made me reconsider.

Daniel, I love venison but you ruined it with jerk seasoning IMO. 

Counselor, I almost gave you a point, but I can’t be sold on shellfish without butter, olive oil, or garlic. Plus I have a mild rice allergy. Sorry.

Daboyle, your dish intrigued me the most. If you had some sort of dipping sauce for those wings, you’re in the top 3. Great flavor assortment!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top might have really sold it.  

ABSOLUTELY!!! Or if you could have pulled off homemade whipped cream, but SwAg taking heavy whipping cream made that impossible.

2 hours ago, SwAg said:

Yeah, I went through and extricated what I could from your dish to assess it on.  Just unfortunate because I was most curious about your dish due to past food discussions (your passionate defense of biscuits and gravy as a bona fide meal carried its influence here).

I gotta say, I scrutinized your ingredients list to make sure you could make legit non-yankee biscuits, and a quality gravy way more than anything else anyone put forward.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Daniel: Yeah Counselor was lazy and just relying on the ocean and his ingredients are whatever

Also Daniel: Man I may vote for Counseor, I can smash seafood

;)

I didn't say Counselor was lazy.  Just to be clear: I am being lazy by just leaving it at what it is, a whole bunch of seafood.