Alex Smith coming off PUP

turtle28

And the media spins begin forming a QB controversy that isn’t really real. I guess you need the retweets though. Smith isn’t a real threat to Haskins’s job or well, he shouldn’t be if we are looking towards the future and not looking to at best be avg even Smith was 100%.

I admire Alex, but he needs to retire. I won’t want him him playing if he has to take actual snaps. I don’t want to envision him laying on that field and then having to amputate his leg after he’s tackled by a 350 lb DT. Sorry, won’t watch that.

If he plays for this team then I’m assuming Haskins either failed or got hurt neither are good for this team!!! But I would love for This to be the place he gets his ring!!! He is a special person and he honestly is the type of guy who has put in the work to get it. But I do want him in the building so honestly I’m just going to say hats off to Alex for everything he’s gone through to get here!!!
With all the negative things people put on this franchise I’m proud to say for someone at the game he got hit at I’m proud to see this guy do what he’s done as a member of this team!!! He’s a inspiration that I think this young roster will never actually understand how much he’s been too our younger players. I mean look at the work Dwayne has put in!!! I honestly believe that Alex Smith has been a huge piece in this guy making the strides he has to take steps from a 4 int outing to the potential to break out as a second year QB!!! I don’t think we will ever know how great Alex has impacted this team!!! Good for you Alex keep doing you!!!

• Like 1

So ... ??? You want to talk about NFL TOUGH guys. We have one at Q B . 🙏

P S ..Just watched the video of his family spraying him with champagne as he comes out of the house and down the steps. He really appears to move "gingerly" and limp slightly ..  Maybe I'm looking for things .  Leg still in a long wrap .

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

If he plays for this team then I’m assuming Haskins either failed or got hurt neither are good for this team!!! But I would love for This to be the place he gets his ring!!! He is a special person and he honestly is the type of guy who has put in the work to get it. But I do want him in the building so honestly I’m just going to say hats off to Alex for everything he’s gone through to get here!!!
With all the negative things people put on this franchise I’m proud to say for someone at the game he got hit at I’m proud to see this guy do what he’s done as a member of this team!!! He’s a inspiration that I think this young roster will never actually understand how much he’s been too our younger players. I mean look at the work Dwayne has put in!!! I honestly believe that Alex Smith has been a huge piece in this guy making the strides he has to take steps from a 4 int outing to the potential to break out as a second year QB!!! I don’t think we will ever know how great Alex has impacted this team!!! Good for you Alex keep doing you!!!

I want him on the team too, QB coach sounds good or some kind of front office/scouting job.

And I agree Alex definitely had a big impact of Mahomes & Haskins’s work ethics, they’ve both credited him for teaching them how to be a pro more than anyone else.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

P S ..Just watched the video of his family spraying him with champagne as he comes out of the house and down the steps. He really appears to move "gingerly" and limp slightly ..  Maybe I'm looking for things .  Leg still in a long wrap .

Yeah, he’s never going to be the 100% Alex we had again before his broken and almost amputated leg. Honestly, I don’t think he could protect himself in the pocket. 

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I saw the same thing when I watched the video. I wish him well but I think his best position/job is to help along Haskins/Allen by being their mentor. Haskins/Allen/Smith- the order of how they should start. I believe RR will keep A.S. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I saw the same thing when I watched the video. I wish him well but I think his best position/job is to help along Haskins/Allen by being their mentor. Haskins/Allen/Smith- the order of how they should start. I believe RR will keep A.S. 

Yeah, he will be the 3rd QB and basically like a coach. Maybe they suit him up if there’s a week 17 this year and give him some charity snaps at the end of the game and then he retires after the year.

They’ll save $14.7 million next year if they cut him in March. That’s $ they could use on two good starters or one great starter at WR, LT (if they need it), LB (if they need it) or CB (if they need it). They also need to re-sign Jon Allen & hopefully Reuben Foster and Brandon Scherff if they stay healthy and have good years.

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, he will be the 3rd QB and basically like a coach. Maybe they suit him up if there’s a week 17 this year and give him some charity snaps at the end of the game and then he retires after the year.

They’ll save $14.7 million next year if they cut him in March. That’s $ they could use on two good starters or one great starter at WR, LT (if they need it), LB (if they need it) or CB (if they need it). They also need to re-sign Jon Allen & hopefully Reuben Foster and Brandon Scherff if they stay healthy and have good years.

If he wants to coach, he should retire.  He is giving every indication that he wants to play.

If Rivera practices what he preaches then he has to give Alex Smith a fair chance to win the job and thereby lots of snaps.  The result is that this guy is just going to stunt Haskins' development.   He is putting us in an impossible situation.  

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

If he wants to coach, he should retire.  He is giving every indication that he wants to play.

If Rivera practices what he preaches then he has to give Alex Smith a fair chance to win the job and thereby lots of snaps.  The result is that this guy is just going to stunt Haskins' development.   He is putting us in an impossible situation.  

It costs the team money if he retires, it’s like a $9 million cap hit this year. Sure he wants to compete, he should be able to, but people that have seen him still see his limp - there’s no way he can run like he used to - which was the best part of his game. He was a great athlete, great at extending plays inside and outside the pocket with his legs and getting 5-10 plus yards when things were converted up and moving the chains on his own rather then throw a risky pass and possibly have an int. He’s just not going to be able to protect himself, I don’t see it.

I’m glad he made it all the way back to where he’s practicing fully but I think this is more of a charity campaign for Alex by the organization. I don’t think he’s actually in the running for the starting job or even in true competition for the #2 and overtaking Kyle Allen.

Edited by turtle28

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It costs the team money if he retires, it’s like a $9 million cap hit this year. Sure he wants to compete, he should be able to, but people that have seen him still see his limp - there’s no way he can run like he used to - which was the best part of his game. He was a great athlete, great at extending plays inside and outside the pocket with his legs and getting 5-10 plus yards when things were converted up and moving the chains on his own rather then throw a risky pass and possibly have an int. He’s just not going to be able to protect himself, I don’t see it.

I’m glad he made it all the way back to where he’s practicing fully but I think this is more of a charity campaign for Alex by the organization. I don’t think he’s actually in the running for the starting job or even in true competition for the #2 and overtaking Kyle Allen.

I don't think he should even take a snap in the running.  We owe Alex Smith nothing, certainly not charity.  We are paying him crazy money.  

They can keep the ham sandwich tbh that we’d get back in return for Alex.

I would be happy with a pizza.

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't think he should even take a snap in the running.  We owe Alex Smith nothing, certainly not charity.  We are paying him crazy money.  

I would be happy with a pizza.

You’re missing the point, it hurts our cap more to cut or trade Alex this year - not that it really matters bc we have nearly $30 million in cap space but I think Alex as a 3rd QB is more valuable to this young team than people realize. He’s an inspiration not only to us fans who really don’t mean anything, but even more so to his teammates. Alex’s leadership just by grinding and getting back to the point where he can participate in practice is a huge effin deal & he’ll help to continue to develop Dwayne and Kyle which is imperative for this team and their development.

You’re missing the point, it hurts our cap more to cut or trade Alex this year - not that it really matters bc we have nearly $30 million in cap space but I think Alex as a 3rd QB is more valuable to this young team than people realize. He’s an inspiration not only to us fans who really don’t mean anything, but even more so to his teammates. Alex’s leadership just by grinding and getting back to the point where he can participate in practice is a huge effin deal & he’ll help to continue to develop Dwayne and Kyle which is imperative for this team and their development.

I am glad he inspires you, but he can do that somewhere else.   We are in a position to take a cap hit now.  We should.  If you really are a big Alex Smith fan, trading him would be the best thing for him if he truly wants to play.  It would also be the best team for us. 

I could care less about Alex Smith's leadership.  I want haskins to be the leader, not the 3rd string qb.  Haskins got enough of an experience last year with him.  Time to move on.