Trade Embiid or Simmons? Or stay the course.

resilient part 2

17 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I disagree. At least in the sense they are not a playoff contender with that roster. In hindsight, maybe the lottery pick is unnecessary to facilitate this trade. However, if the Hornets were the 10th seed this year w/ their current roster, and both the 7th and 8th seeds had losing records, I don't see how they don't at least get the 8th seed in the east with Horford and Harris. Hell, if they keep that draft pick and are able to land a player like Edwards, that is a SIGNIFICANTLY improved team from last year.

Going with the original trade, they may make the playoffs but they’re not going anywhere. They would still be a clear step-below the top-7 and not have a path towards moving up. That’s not a team that can compete for a conference championship or anything worthwhile. 

If it becomes a straight salary dump, without Washington or the 1st, it makes sense for Charlotte. They get two guys that can help them now and a chance to hit it big with either Washington or whoever they draft. There is a path forward into the elite of the conference. The Sixers still get their salary dump and drop two guys that don’t fit their scheme at all. 

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I disagree. At least in the sense they are not a playoff contender with that roster. In hindsight, maybe the lottery pick is unnecessary to facilitate this trade. However, if the Hornets were the 10th seed this year w/ their current roster, and both the 7th and 8th seeds had losing records, I don't see how they don't at least get the 8th seed in the east with Horford and Harris. Hell, if they keep that draft pick and are able to land a player like Edwards, that is a SIGNIFICANTLY improved team from last year.

Other teams can get better too. The 7th seed is adding Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant. Orlando is talented as well. Washington has a chance to improve. Absolute best case is the 8th seed and adding 2 home playoff games to their total. That's not worth it.

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Other teams can get better too. The 7th seed is adding Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant. Orlando is talented as well. Washington has a chance to improve. Absolute best case is the 8th seed and adding 2 home playoff games to their total. That's not worth it.

Valid point about Brooklyn, but the 8th seed is still wildly up for grabs. Now, worth it in what sense? From a financial standpoint, I assume a winning team and two playoff appearances (minimum) are incredibly important to the owners of the team. From a pure basketball sense, I agree merely earning the right to exit in the first round is not worth it. However, I've seen worse basketball decisions made in the name of producing a "winning culture" to "draw fans".

9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Valid point about Brooklyn, but the 8th seed is still wildly up for grabs. Now, worth it in what sense? From a financial standpoint, I assume a winning team and two playoff appearances (minimum) are incredibly important to the owners of the team. From a pure basketball sense, I agree merely earning the right to exit in the first round is not worth it. However, I've seen worse basketball decisions made in the name of producing a "winning culture" to "draw fans".

Charlotte has done this over and over and over again. Signing (or in this case, trading for) overpriced veterans is the wrong decision. They keep getting themselves stuck and this would be more of the same.

They are 1 more year away from clean books. This would be an astronomically stupid trade.

17 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Charlotte has done this over and over and over again. Signing (or in this case, trading for) overpriced veterans is the wrong decision. They keep getting themselves stuck and this would be more of the same.

They are 1 more year away from clean books. This would be an astronomically stupid trade.

I'm inclined to agree with everything you've said, but still doesn't make it any less likely from both a real world and historical sense lol.

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Do you realistically believe Charlotte can smartly develop a contender in the next 4 years solely through draft picks and the types of free agents they are likely to attract?

Probably not. But they already have a few decent young pieces in Graham, Washington, and Bridges. At #3 they'll likely add either LaMelo Ball or James Wiseman which will give them another piece to their young core. 

Ideally for Charlotte, those guys flash some potential but you're still terrible enough to finish with a top 5 pick next year. Where you can acquire someone like Kuminga, Green, Cunningham, or Mobley. 

On 9/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, RavensTillIDie said:

If the 76ers really are trying to clean house and want to continue to build around Embiid and Simmons, I wonder if they might do this trade?

Hornets Receive:
-Al Horford
-Tobias Harris

Sixers Receive:
-Terry Rozier
-Nicolas Batum
-PJ Washington
-Cody Zeller
-2020 1st Round Pick

Hornets receive some much needed star power and strong veteran leadership. Sixers clear those contracts off their books and open up a ton of cap space for a 3rd star in the (potentially) stacked 2021-2022 free agency class, while still staying a playoff contender next year.

Hornets:
Graham
Monk/Martin
Bridges/Martin
Harris/McDaniels
Horford

Sixers:
Rozier/Milton
Richardson/Thybulle
Simmons/Batum/{Draft Pick}
Washington/Scott
Embiid/Zeller

If we somehow get a 1st, I'll never slander Elton Brand again. 

• Like 1