FIRE LEBEAU!!!

ttitansfan4life

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

agree with you on defense, but i don't understand how you can look at the jags and seahawks games and say we don't impose our will on offense. that's *exactly* what we did in both of those games.

We have played two very good halves of offensive football this year. We have looked pretty bad otherwise. 

Our offense is this: one WR sets with a guy who prob runs a 4.9 right now, throw Taywan in motion when we put him in and usually use him as a decoy, and hope we wear out the D with the run. If that doesn't work, we don't adapt. We don't let Marcus be Marcus. We dont run quick, short routes to pick up easy underneath yardage. We don't open up space for our receivers to get YAC (other than Jonnu TD last week). It's run, run, long develop pass play. 

I am not Josh McDaniels. I'm not even John Shoop. But someone please tell me how we have the receivers/TEs we have and not go shotgun with 3-4 wide and just chew up underneath yardage with Delanie stretching the seam? 

There was some stat about how marcus is near the top of the league in downfield passing attempts. Why? 

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Downfield passing attempts make safeties back off the LoS which makes running the ball easier.

And throwing underneath routes picks up easy yardage that we aren't getting

edit - my point is more that our offense's personnel is well geared to a quicker and shorter passing game. Why try to  fit a square peg in a round hole?

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

We have played two very good halves of offensive football this year. We have looked pretty bad otherwise. 

Our offense is this: one WR sets with a guy who prob runs a 4.9 right now, throw Taywan in motion when we put him in and usually use him as a decoy, and hope we wear out the D with the run. If that doesn't work, we don't adapt. We don't let Marcus be Marcus. We dont run quick, short routes to pick up easy underneath yardage. We don't open up space for our receivers to get YAC (other than Jonnu TD last week). It's run, run, long develop pass play. 

I am not Josh McDaniels. I'm not even John Shoop. But someone please tell me how we have the receivers/TEs we have and not go shotgun with 3-4 wide and just chew up underneath yardage with Delanie stretching the seam? 

There was some stat about how marcus is near the top of the league in downfield passing attempts. Why? 

okay, you're asking for a change in offensive scheme. that's entirely unrelated to whether we play physically or impose our will on opposing defenses.

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

And throwing underneath routes picks up easy yardage that we aren't getting

Bottom line when things are clicking with this offense it's beautiful. But if not.  It's a struggle.

Reminds me of the Cavs and LeBron James. It isn't pretty like the Warriors but you look up and it's 130 on the board, but it also feels like a struggle to score. Whereas the Warriors score with ease.  

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

okay, you're asking for a change in offensive scheme. that's entirely unrelated to whether we play physically or impose our will on opposing defenses.

As Aaron Williams once said: those are just two flip-sides of the same quesadilla, amiga

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

Bottom line when things are clicking with this offense it's beautiful. But if not.  It's a struggle.

Reminds me of the Cavs and LeBron James. It isn't pretty like the Warriors but you look up and it's 130 on the board, but it also feels like a struggle to score. Whereas the Warriors score with ease.  

Things have clicked for this offense for 60 out of 240 minutes of football. 

I mean you can blame scheme all you want but a huge issue with the start of games is Mariota just missing passes. He was terrible in the first half vs the Jags. He was 1/7 to start vs Seattle. He threw a pick today before finally settling down in the 2nd quarter.

It doesn't matter when we throw it, how often we throw it, or where we throw it if Marcus is inaccurate.

Mariota has been a slow starter his entire career, and that's including @ Oregon as well.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

I mean you can blame scheme all you want but a huge issue with the start of games is Mariota just missing passes. He was terrible in the first half vs the Jags. He was 1/7 to start vs Seattle. He threw a pick today before finally settling down in the 2nd quarter.

It doesn't matter when we throw it, how often we throw it, or where we throw it if Marcus is inaccurate.

Mariota has been a slow starter his entire career, and that's including @ Oregon as well.

And the remedy for that is throwing high percentage passes to get him in a rhythm 

not run the ball twice with Murray and then hoping we connect on a third and long

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

That's not what Mularkey says.  He constantly tells the media that our receivers are not where they're supposed to be.  Last week, he literally said if Mariota's pass looks off, it's because they messed up.  

1 minute ago, footlunder said:

That's not what Mularkey says.  He constantly tells the media that our receivers are not where they're supposed to be.  Last week, he literally said if Mariota's pass looks off, it's because they messed up.  

Yes, Mularkey has made it quite clear he's practically never going to blame Mariota for anything even when the film shows quite the opposite. Hell even when he does admit Mariota made a mistake(ala Jags INT) he felt the need to throw some blame on Jonnu Smith( I think it was) as well.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Yes, Mularkey has made it quite clear he's practically never going to blame Mariota for anything even when the film shows quite the opposite. Hell even when he does admit Mariota made a mistake(ala Jags INT) he felt the need to throw some blame on Jonnu Smith( I think it was) as well.

Not true.  He calls Mariota out on his interceptions, when he checked out of the play that contributed to our loss, says Mariota needed to be better at throwing the ball away (last season).

It's okay to be hard on the coaching staff.  Don't be a coach homer.

Just now, footlunder said:

Not true.  He calls Mariota out on his interceptions, when he checked out of the play that contributed to our loss, says Mariota needed to be better at throwing the ball away (last season).

It's okay to be hard on the coaching staff.  Don't be a coach homer.

It has nothing to do with being a coach homer. Mularkey flat out refuses the majority of the time to be hard on Mariota for whatever reason. Maybe Mariota is too hard on himself so he doesn't like adding on to it. Maybe it's because Mariota is the only good QB he's had as a head coach and isn't going to do anything to risk upsetting him.

However acting like Jon Robinson, Mike Mularkey and Terry Robiskie all sat down and said "hey lets design our offense like this even though it makes Mariota worse " is probably one of the more ridiculous things I think I've read.

When Mariota gets out of his 1st quarter/sometimes 1st half slumps he runs the offense to perfection. He runs the exact same offense in the 2nd half of games as he does the first. He ran the offense that supposedly is the best thing for him at Oregon and he still struggled to start a lot of games. The guy just isn't a fast starter.

Archived