Giants S Xavier McKinney fractures foot

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i keep people say the dolphins "had to" waive curtis weaver before placing him on IR as a rookie... but i get the feeling that Delpit/McKinney will wind up on the IR as rookies without being waived

That's because Delpit and McKinney will remain on the active rosters until the deadline passes that allows teams to place them on IR without passing through waivers first. The Dolphins clearly wanted a roster spot and were willing to risk another team claiming Weaver to get it.

That's a shame. It's not an immediate huge loss, as I would expect about 99.8% of rookies to not contribute immediately this year due to the shortened and weird preseason, but it will stunt his development for sure. We will most likely get him back at some point this year, which is good. Hopefully he can make the most of mental reps and meetings and hit the ground running in October/November.

In the meantime, this just makes Julian Love even more important than he was previously, which was already pretty damn important (@Forge ). Our 3 safety sets got a lot less exciting though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's because Delpit and McKinney will remain on the active rosters until the deadline passes that allows teams to place them on IR without passing through waivers first. The Dolphins clearly wanted a roster spot and were willing to risk another team claiming Weaver to get it.

i know. its hilarious that the dolphins took that much of a risk instead of just cutting the 80th guy instead