Should we bring Adrian Peterson back?

Ozzy

Bring Adrian Peterson back?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Bring Adrian Peterson back?

• Yes
    • No

Would be an interesting question to answer, and Adrian can clearly still ball having 1000+ yards in 2018 and over 800+ yards in 2019.

Would love to see him finish his career as a Viking and with the new run game system I think he could do quite well.  I would cut Mike Boone to make that happen no question.  Probably will not happen though since it is not a massive need obviously and Adrian would be on the bench a lot and clearly does not like sitting and would rather play.  Would be hell going up against him if Chicago, Seattle or the Eagles signs him, I know that.  Chicago could really need him if Montgomery is out for awhile.  

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

That's probably where I'm at.  But, I still think he could be productive somewhere.  

Yes.  This is where I am also.  I just don't see how he stands on the sideline being the Vikings 3rd, at best, RB option.  Like you, I think he's got some juice left and could be productive in KC or Pittsburg.

Fact is AD would bring much needed explosion and big play ability to the Vikings offense.  If they want to become a running football team than do it and commit to it.  Could help spell Cook of course and be a great 2nd option when Cook or Mattison get hurt and without question based on their history one or both of them will this season.

I think it would be great and he is a great pro for any young guy to learn from with his work ethic.  Sure probably will not happen but he would make an impact and would retire potentially the right way.  I would love if they did it, he provides something none of the other backs bring, straight power and strength.   Dude is a horse, but regardless he will make some team happy based on how many need a running back.  

Mattison is impressive based on his rookie season, but fact is AD is a Hall of Fame player and out performed Mattison last year on a worse team.  Adrian is a freaking dude, and Vikings do not have many of those on offense.  

Adrian wouldn't bring more explosion or big play ability than Cook...

Adrian outperformed Mattison last year? Based on what? Touches?  Mattison averaged more YPC than Peterson and broke more tackles than Peterson (11-9 despite having half the number of touches).

As disaacs said, Adrian isn't Adrian anymore.  Still a solid back, but he doesn't bring an added dimension to this team, nor does he play special teams.  I'd rather sign Dare Ogunbawale than Peterson.

Washington keeping Peyton Barber over AP tells plenty about AP's current level.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

Do people not watch football or what?  How is Adrian Peterson not a better power back than Alexander Mattison?  Who is harder to tackle?  Peterson still makes great cuts, has wiggle to him and is obviously very hard to bring down and is intimidating to handle as a runner. To people that say he is some crap back, well you maybe have not been paying much attention.  He made some awesome runs last year for a guy his age.  Sure he is not like he was in 2012 no ****, but last time I checked the offense might lack something and I would love to have him back if he wanted to finish it out as a Viking.

Now sure maybe the pandemic has put him in awful shape but I doubt it, if he looks like he did last year he is just fine as a player and brings something to the football team.  Sure it probably will not happen but I would rather have a hard working tough guy like AD on the team for an organization that apparently is committed to running the football.  

Come back when in week 5, the Vikings offense is lacking playmakers and lacking inside toughness running the football.  How Cook and Mattison will not get injured at any point this year, I have no idea how that happens and absolutely no way it happens.  One or both will get hurt this season.  

Apparently Mattison is harder to tackle, since his broken tackle rate is like twice as high as Peterson's...

Mattison also had 4 20+ yard runs on 100 attempts, while Peterson had 6 on 211 attempts. Explosive rush rate favors Mattison too. 

Peterson is still a starting back for a team, but he doesn't fit this offense. Not a good receiver or blocker, and needs volume to be effective. Cook and Mattison fit this running scheme better than Peterson.

• Like 3

Ok I am obviously on an island here and that is fine.

Ok.....Phil Rauscher is on the Vikings staff right now as an assisting OL coach and was the head OL coach for Washington last year after the changes, and was on Dennison's OL staff a few years back in Denver so no surprise they brought him in.  How is the system any different?  Pretty sure it is wildly the same considering he coached with Dennison and both run a zone blocking scheme.  Does not fit?  Sure he is not great in pass pro but short yardage I would love to have him.  And once more Cook or Mattison will be injured at some point this year, no question about it.  And Peterson brings something physically none of the backs we currently have can bring.  

I want a commitment to running the ball and Peterson would help show that commitment.  Sure maybe he is not willing to sit on the bench personally, but fact is he will be starting for a team in the NFL this season most likely, since he is so awful and all.  

Pretty sad when some fans are more loyal to ******* Brett Favre than Adrian Peterson. Then again loyalty in pro sports is clearly dead and has been for awhile.  

Just now, RpMc said:

Not one person in here has said he’s a “crap” back. 

pretty big difference in saying he doesn’t fit our roster and saying he’s crap. 

You yourself said they sign him to a one day contract and he is done for, pretty sure that is saying he is crap.  No thank you.

Just glossed over where I said he’s a solid back, but go ahead and continue your childish tirade when you’ve been empirically proven wrong. I’d sign him to a one day contact to retire as a Viking if HE wanted to be done. He can still play, but he doesn’t add anything different than we already have. 

You mention Peterson bringing explosiveness to our running game when we’ve got Dalvin Cook, the MOST explosive running back in the league last year based on his percentage of runs that netted 10+ yards and percentage of runs on which he hits 15 MPH or higher (2nd in the league overall behind Lamar Jackson). 

You mention Peterson bringing inside toughness when Alexander Mattison has a higher broken tackle percentage than him (Mattison is top 10 in the league in this category, Cook is 20th and Peterson is 46th), and Dalvin Cook had an equal yards after contact/attempt to Peterson...

So again, where does he improve our roster other than hedging against injury? I understand you like the guy as a player, and you’re loyal to him, but us signing him makes no sense. 

Edited by RpMc