Jump to content
onejayhawk

2K20: Game #1 - Houston at Kansas City

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Saunders dislocated elbow (but no damage per Reid)

Ward fractured his hand

Okafor strained hamstring

Ward missing time may hurt badly ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good first game. It was a convincing victory. The offense clicks and the defense delivered as well. Especially the new additions/rookies played a good game. Osemele dominated in the O-Line, with a few very good run blocks. Sneed was good in pass defense. He needs to be a better job as a tackler, but overall a promising performance. CEH obviously had the best game of them all. If the run game can be as good in the season as it was in this game, teams will have huge problems to stop our offense.

The only bad thing are the injuries. It seems that Saunders will be good. Okafor looks good as well. We'll see what the fracture means for Ward. It would be good to have him back soon, otherwise our CB depth will be tested very early in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t mean this as a shot against Houston, but that game was very easy.   Offense didn’t even come close to opening it up.    
 

Defense was solid all around,  aside from late game, the only success they had were against our LB’s.     I was actually impressed with Tedric Thompson also, he flashed on the screen quite a bit.  
 

side note:  I need at least 1 preseason game to get jersey #’s down.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing about the game is that the offense took what the defense offered. The Texans played two deep safeties all night, so 6 - 7 in the box.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Ward missing time may hurt badly ...

I'm wondering if he misses a bunch of time, or if it's a throw it in a cast/brace and work one handed, kind of deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm wondering if he misses a bunch of time, or if it's a throw it in a cast/brace and work one handed, kind of deal.

For all the talk about the pass rush,   How bout them DB’s.   Quite a few of those sacks/pressures were strictly from the coverage downfield..  

Some of those packages with Sorensen / Thompson / Mathieu / Thornhill all on the field had movement all over the backend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

For all the talk about the pass rush,   How bout them DB’s.   Quite a few of those sacks/pressures were strictly from the coverage downfield..  

Some of those packages with Sorensen / Thompson / Mathieu / Thornhill all on the field had movement all over the backend. 

I honestly feel like I saw Thornhill maybe once all game. Every Texans fan in the GDT kept asking why they weren't using their speed deep. Some of that was pass rush, some of that was that S group, for sure. If you don't see your deep S on the screen, odds are he's doing a damn good job.

I did also like what I saw from Thompson. I echo you there. Sorensen has about made a fan out of Mayan now, even. I'm curious how much the S group helps with having to put Sneed, Fenton, and Hamilton outside. I still remember the corpse of Ron Parker and Eric Murray, and how hard they made it for that defense to operate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I honestly feel like I saw Thornhill maybe once all game. Every Texans fan in the GDT kept asking why they weren't using their speed deep. Some of that was pass rush, some of that was that S group, for sure. If you don't see your deep S on the screen, odds are he's doing a damn good job.

I did also like what I saw from Thompson. I echo you there. Sorensen has about made a fan out of Mayan now, even. I'm curious how much the S group helps with having to put Sneed, Fenton, and Hamilton outside. I still remember the corpse of Ron Parker and Eric Murray, and how hard they made it for that defense to operate.

Sometimes I still think about the Mike Brown / Jon McGraw duo for a full year.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rookies got a ton of action in the game. Obviously, Clyde had a bunch, but L’Jarius Sneed played 93% of the Chiefs’ defensive snaps. The Ward injury was a factor, but Ward played 31 snaps before the injury and Sneed he was already getting action. Tershawn Wharton played 24% defensive snaps, though his presence was forced by the absence of Pennel and the injury to Saunders. However, Mike Danna was full part of the DE rotation, with TK and Clark. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-snap-counts-week-1-rookies-dominate/

Kelichi Osemele is making waves. Several comments during the broadcast made reference to the more physical nature of the Chiefs' blocking. KO was a big part of that.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-kelechi-osemele/

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Rookies got a ton of action in the game. Obviously, Clyde had a bunch, but L’Jarius Sneed played 93% of the Chiefs’ defensive snaps. The Ward injury was a factor, but Ward played 31 snaps before the injury and Sneed he was already getting action. Tershawn Wharton played 24% defensive snaps, though his presence was forced by the absence of Pennel and the injury to Saunders. However, Mike Danna was full part of the DE rotation, with TK and Clark. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-snap-counts-week-1-rookies-dominate/

Kelichi Osemele is making waves. Several comments during the broadcast made reference to the more physical nature of the Chiefs' blocking. KO was a big part of that.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-kelechi-osemele/

J

Was impressed with Clyde and Sneed. Didn’t like how Clyde got stuffed at the goal line, but he got 137 yards On part time snaps against a “vaunted” defense lol. 
 

Sneed seemed to pop all over the field. Wasn’t giving up much, getting a hand on the football. Didn’t drop the interception gifted to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of that lame duck interception, the Chiefs had four sacks. how many pressures was it? What percentage of plays?

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Speaking of that lame duck interception, the Chiefs had four sacks. how many pressures was it? What percentage of plays?

J

PFF says 11 pressures, 6 in under two seconds 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, Edge said:

Osemele dominated in the O-Line, with a few very good run blocks.

This guy is a mountain. Seems very strong. Good look for an OG. How did he get loose to come to us? Good catch by the FO. We were in need here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

This guy is a mountain. Seems very strong. Good look for an OG. How did he get loose to come to us? Good catch by the FO. We were in need here.

Injury issue. He had shoulder surgery the Jets deemed unnecessary. From rotoworld:

Quote
  • KELECHI OSEMELEG, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
    7504.jpg

    Jets released LG Kelechi Osemele.

    This is going to get ugly. The Jets had the option of placing Osemele on injured reserve after he underwent season-ending surgery, but they've opted to outright release him. Osemele is claiming the Jets' team doctors were steering him in the wrong direction, which has the NFLPA now involved, and the Jets were fighting back with fines. There will be legal ramifications here, so this is far from over. Osemele will be focused on his rehab before entering free agency this offseason.

    RELATED: 
    SOURCE: Jets on Twitter
    Oct 26, 2019, 3:30 PM ET
     

 

Well, and then there is the chance to get a ring with the Super Bowl Champs - which definitely helps getting aging FA on board on budget deals.

Edited by KC_Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...