2K20: Game #1 - Houston at Kansas City

onejayhawk

Very good first game. It was a convincing victory. The offense clicks and the defense delivered as well. Especially the new additions/rookies played a good game. Osemele dominated in the O-Line, with a few very good run blocks. Sneed was good in pass defense. He needs to be a better job as a tackler, but overall a promising performance. CEH obviously had the best game of them all. If the run game can be as good in the season as it was in this game, teams will have huge problems to stop our offense.

The only bad thing are the injuries. It seems that Saunders will be good. Okafor looks good as well. We'll see what the fracture means for Ward. It would be good to have him back soon, otherwise our CB depth will be tested very early in the season.

I don’t mean this as a shot against Houston, but that game was very easy.   Offense didn’t even come close to opening it up.    

Defense was solid all around,  aside from late game, the only success they had were against our LB’s.     I was actually impressed with Tedric Thompson also, he flashed on the screen quite a bit.  

side note:  I need at least 1 preseason game to get jersey #’s down.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm wondering if he misses a bunch of time, or if it's a throw it in a cast/brace and work one handed, kind of deal.

For all the talk about the pass rush,   How bout them DB’s.   Quite a few of those sacks/pressures were strictly from the coverage downfield..  

Some of those packages with Sorensen / Thompson / Mathieu / Thornhill all on the field had movement all over the backend. 

14 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

For all the talk about the pass rush,   How bout them DB’s.   Quite a few of those sacks/pressures were strictly from the coverage downfield..  

Some of those packages with Sorensen / Thompson / Mathieu / Thornhill all on the field had movement all over the backend. 

I honestly feel like I saw Thornhill maybe once all game. Every Texans fan in the GDT kept asking why they weren't using their speed deep. Some of that was pass rush, some of that was that S group, for sure. If you don't see your deep S on the screen, odds are he's doing a damn good job.

I did also like what I saw from Thompson. I echo you there. Sorensen has about made a fan out of Mayan now, even. I'm curious how much the S group helps with having to put Sneed, Fenton, and Hamilton outside. I still remember the corpse of Ron Parker and Eric Murray, and how hard they made it for that defense to operate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I honestly feel like I saw Thornhill maybe once all game. Every Texans fan in the GDT kept asking why they weren't using their speed deep. Some of that was pass rush, some of that was that S group, for sure. If you don't see your deep S on the screen, odds are he's doing a damn good job.

I did also like what I saw from Thompson. I echo you there. Sorensen has about made a fan out of Mayan now, even. I'm curious how much the S group helps with having to put Sneed, Fenton, and Hamilton outside. I still remember the corpse of Ron Parker and Eric Murray, and how hard they made it for that defense to operate.

Sometimes I still think about the Mike Brown / Jon McGraw duo for a full year.....

Rookies got a ton of action in the game. Obviously, Clyde had a bunch, but L’Jarius Sneed played 93% of the Chiefs’ defensive snaps. The Ward injury was a factor, but Ward played 31 snaps before the injury and Sneed he was already getting action. Tershawn Wharton played 24% defensive snaps, though his presence was forced by the absence of Pennel and the injury to Saunders. However, Mike Danna was full part of the DE rotation, with TK and Clark. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-snap-counts-week-1-rookies-dominate/

Kelichi Osemele is making waves. Several comments during the broadcast made reference to the more physical nature of the Chiefs' blocking. KO was a big part of that.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-kelechi-osemele/

J

11 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Rookies got a ton of action in the game. Obviously, Clyde had a bunch, but L’Jarius Sneed played 93% of the Chiefs’ defensive snaps. The Ward injury was a factor, but Ward played 31 snaps before the injury and Sneed he was already getting action. Tershawn Wharton played 24% defensive snaps, though his presence was forced by the absence of Pennel and the injury to Saunders. However, Mike Danna was full part of the DE rotation, with TK and Clark. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-snap-counts-week-1-rookies-dominate/

Kelichi Osemele is making waves. Several comments during the broadcast made reference to the more physical nature of the Chiefs' blocking. KO was a big part of that.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/11/chiefs-clyde-edwards-helaire-kelechi-osemele/

J

Was impressed with Clyde and Sneed. Didn’t like how Clyde got stuffed at the goal line, but he got 137 yards On part time snaps against a “vaunted” defense lol. 

Sneed seemed to pop all over the field. Wasn’t giving up much, getting a hand on the football. Didn’t drop the interception gifted to him. 

That's with Danna as a significant part of the DE mix. I wish we had workout numbers on him. 

Honey Badger has some words about Sneed. It appears our rookie CB will start while Ward is out. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/12/kansas-city-chiefs-tyrann-mathieu-on-rookie-ljarius-sneed/

J

Edited by onejayhawk

33 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

This guy is a mountain. Seems very strong. Good look for an OG. How did he get loose to come to us? Good catch by the FO. We were in need here.

Injury issue. He had shoulder surgery the Jets deemed unnecessary. From rotoworld:

• KELECHI OSEMELEG, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT
    7504.jpg

Jets released LG Kelechi Osemele.

This is going to get ugly. The Jets had the option of placing Osemele on injured reserve after he underwent season-ending surgery, but they've opted to outright release him. Osemele is claiming the Jets' team doctors were steering him in the wrong direction, which has the NFLPA now involved, and the Jets were fighting back with fines. There will be legal ramifications here, so this is far from over. Osemele will be focused on his rehab before entering free agency this offseason.

RELATED: 
    SOURCE: Jets on Twitter
    Oct 26, 2019, 3:30 PM ET

Well, and then there is the chance to get a ring with the Super Bowl Champs - which definitely helps getting aging FA on board on budget deals.

Edited by KC_Guy