2K20: Game #1 - Houston at Kansas City

onejayhawk

Small footnote. The Chiefs' 2008 5hh round pick, Brandon Carr, appears headed for Dallas Cowboys active roster. He's one of the NFL's last remaining players from the Jamaal Charles draft that also yielded Glen Dorsey, Branden Albert and Brandon Flowers. It ranks as one of the 10 best classes in the whole league for that decade.

J

59 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Small footnote. The Chiefs' 2008 5hh round pick, Brandon Carr, appears headed for Dallas Cowboys active roster. He's one of the NFL's last remaining players from the Jamaal Charles draft that also yielded Glen Dorsey, Branden Albert and Brandon Flowers. It ranks as one of the 10 best classes in the whole league for that decade.

J

I loved that draft so much, and really thought that would be the turning point for the franchise. I was huge on Flowers and Charles that draft. And basically everyone loved Dorsey. Didn't think it would take us 5 years to get a competent QB and head coach, though.

I still don't ever remember seeing an explanation for what went down with Flowers. He was so good and so underrated for us for years, then we just cut him kind of out of nowhere pretty late in the offseason. Never seemed quite as good for SD.

It wasn't the best draft of the decade, but we did win the division two years later. The best draft of the decade was clearly New Orleans 2006, the Reggie Bush year. They landed Marques Colston and Zach Strief in the 7th round, in addition to Bush and Roman Harper. Technically, they also drafted Rob Ninkovich, but never developed him. Bill Belichick did that. 

There are only a handful of 2008 players still playing. Most obvious are Matt Ryan and Calais Campbell. Others, like Carr and Aqib Talib are just hanging on. To give some scale, this was two years before Eric Berry and three years before Justin Houston.

J

This is a write up about concerns going into the Houston game. It's OK on the one issue it raises:
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/08/kansas-city-chiefs-steve-spagnuolo-top-concern-vs-houston-texans/

As any coach would be, Spagnuolo's #1 concern is tackling. There has been no real game condition practice. 

Getting past the obvious, he is down some bodies--Pennel and Breeland are suspended and Nnadi is injured. So, both CB2 and NT will be manned by a 2nd year player backed up by a rookie, unless Nnadi can play. Thornhill is back and should be close to full speed. We will see how his endurance rates. 

J

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I loved that draft so much, and really thought that would be the turning point for the franchise. I was huge on Flowers and Charles that draft. And basically everyone loved Dorsey. Didn't think it would take us 5 years to get a competent QB and head coach, though.

I still don't ever remember seeing an explanation for what went down with Flowers. He was so good and so underrated for us for years, then we just cut him kind of out of nowhere pretty late in the offseason. Never seemed quite as good for SD.

Flowers was always hurt there at the end, nicked up with lower leg injuries and he had no speed to begin with. 

just got old, you know that story.

New injury report. Maybe Nnadi will be able to play after all. The fresh report on Texans not up yet.

Player Injury Participation*
DT Derrick Nnadi Ankle FP
TE Travis Kelce Knee FP
RB Darrel Williams Hamstring FP
DE Alex Okafor Calf FP
S Juan Thornhill Knee FP
TE Deon Yelder Groin

FP

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

New injury report. Maybe Nnadi will be able to play after all. The fresh report on Texans not up yet.

Player Injury Participation*
DT Derrick Nnadi Ankle FP
TE Travis Kelce Knee FP
RB Darrel Williams Hamstring FP
DE Alex Okafor Calf FP
S Juan Thornhill Knee FP
TE Deon Yelder Groin

FP

Andy said in an interview that there's no injuries going into the game *knock on wood*.