Week 1 GDT: Texans @ Chiefs

lumberjackchris

It's time to embark on a new season, boys!!! 

It's been 8 months since we blew a 24-0 lead to KC in last years AFC Divisional Playoff Game. 

We've had literally 0 football since aside from the draft due to Covid.

Well, the wait is finally over!!!!

GwgUeeQK_7J0IRn-7cLPJYY1IycKXP1JBoE4TDDt

2 of the leagues youngest poster boys and now the 2 highest paid QB's in the league square off  once again.

What's becoming the next great head to head match up in the NFL over the next decade plus,

Deshaun Watson looks to wash the  bad taste of last years playoff game out of the mouths of Texans and players and fans abound. 

Texans Offensive Overview

With the shocking trade of D.Hop, the Texans offense will look completely different taking the field Thursday night. Deshaun will be behind easily the best OL he has had protecting him in his career. The exciting ones to watch is Scharping and Howard going into their 2nd season, especially Howard coming off a shortened rookie year due to injury. Toting the rock will be newly acquired RB David Johnson who looks healthy from reports and has a chip on his shoulder coming off a couple of injury plagued and under productive seasons. Add in Duke Johnson and we have 2 of the more capable pass catching backfields in the league. The WR corp Watson will be throwing to this year is almost all new. Will Fuller is the only true returning asset to go along with the newly acquired Brandin Cooks, and Randall Cobb in the slot. This exciting and fast mix of WR's brings a lot of potential to the table bother offensively stretching the field, but also injury wise. The TE group is solid led by vet Fells, Akins, and the former 3rd rounder Wahering.

From the reports is looks like OB will finally take a step back from the offensive and be more of a CEO HC, especially with the added role of GM. Tim Kelly will get his shot to put his stamp on this offense. Only time will tell if OB lets his OC do his job, but I'm excited to see what  Kelly can bring to the table with this new mix of offensive weapons.

Texans Defensive Overview

Not to many impact changes were made on this side of the ball due to draft capital and FA spending. What the Texans and new DC Anthony Weaver are hoping is continued development from in house guys, a healthy JJ Watt, and some mid round rookies to hopefully provide some rotational depth and add to a non-existent at time pass rush. 

DL - JJ Watt is a aging vet, and with his injury history the team has handled him with kid gloves this training camp, and rightfully so. He's the leader of this defensive and when healthy can still be a major impact. Losing DJ Reader to a massive contract from Cincy, rookie 2nd rounder Ross Blacklock brings an exciting interior presence on the pass rush front and will be in the rotation.  2nd year player, and the guy I'm most excited about Charles Ominhu looks to have a big leap from year 1 to year 2. He's transformed his body and has the passion and personal expectations to be great. Having JJ around as a mentor is a nice asset for all the young DL. DC Anothony Weaver will still be coaching the DL and he is a great asset as well to the growth and development of this group. 

LB - Veteran's Whitney Mercilus and McKinney lead the group as they prepare to pass the torch to newly highly paid ILB Zach Cunningham and rookie Jonathan Greenard. Cunningham is an elite run stuffer, but still has mental lapses in pass coverage that needs ironing out to truly become elite. With Greenard there's been whispers of a medical red shirt type year for him , so we will see how they handle him.

DB - Bradley Robby is back to lead the CB's and when healthy last year was good as advertised. He and ascending talent Justin Reid will lead this DB's group. Reid also when healthy is becoming one of the better safetys in the league. A shoulder injury limited him last year, but the time off to rehab has him back to 100%. He'll be paired with the mysterious Eric Murray who was signed as a FA over the offseason. Starting across from Roby at CB is the big question mark. 2nd year player Lonnie Johnson has the all the physical traits you admiring, but struggled mightily last year as a rookie. He along with Conley who's also coming off injury, Hargraves, and S AJ Moore looks to get into the mix as a 3rd safety when Weaver mixes and matches the secondary. Last but not least, rookie Jon Reid. I know Reid may be a late round guy, but I think he will turn out to be a steal, and become a solid rotational member of this team. 

Anthony Weaver - finally takes over the riegns from RAC, and looks to put his spin on this defensive scheme. Personally I think the NFL had passed RAC by, mixed with a weaker secondary and lack of a base pass rush, this defense was putrid most of last season. Weaver will bring a more aggressive nature being from the Rex Ryan coaching tree. We will see pressure coming from every position on the field, and QB's will hopegully not have enough time to pick apart the weak spots in the secondary. 

Special Teams Overview 

JON WEEKS THE GOAT

Fairbear with a little patience has turned into a solid, and reliable NFL kicker. 

Newly extended punter Anger looks to build off of last seasons success.

The biggest question will be returns, DeAndre Carter should be the man, but there's plenty of other options on the roster. 

Coverage teams were the best in years last year and hopefully we can continue that trend 

Chiefs Team Overview 

The half a billion dollar man leads the most explosive offense in the league. They hung 51 points on us back in January in only 3 quarters. And if the offense wasn't scary enough already, they used their 1st round pick to draft LSU RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire who looks to add another deminsion to the Chiefs offense. You're not going to stop them, you just have to try and slow them down, and get Mahomes uncomfortable. 

Defensive is a question mark for KC. Their secondary is in shambles which is our key to keeping up with them. If we can block Chris Jones in the middle, and limit the Honey Bager's impact we can score and stay in a shootout with Mahomes and company. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Cheifs gonna win by a lot. We always seem to struggle from the start.  

And KC is red hot - they're 7-0 over the last seven seasons during their season openers. I'm not expecting this to change with their banner reveal and ring ceremony - they're going to be hype, ready to play really hard.

I think it'll be a close game, primetime Watson is a different animal - but Mahomes is still a cut above.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

And KC is red hot - they're 7-0 over the last seven seasons during their season openers. I'm not expecting this to change with their banner reveal and ring ceremony - they're going to be hype, ready to play really hard.

I think it'll be a close game, primetime Watson is a different animal - but Mahomes is still a cut above.

Are they doing the ceremony? 

I know they'll have a limited amount of fans there, but I don't think that will matter.

What I wonder is if no preseason action will make the offenses a little sluggish. Practice can only get you somewhat ready for game speed. Hell even these glorified scrimmages there was no full contact. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I feel like Houston sports has been cursed over the last 25 years. We’ve had so many crazy things happen, and even when a team finally wins a championship, turns out they cheated. 

Not a big Rockets fan so correct me but pretty sure those back-to-back championships weren't won by cheating?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So it begins....the annual WR curse. 

coulter to IR

cooks listed as limited with groin injury

coutee was absent from practice Sunday, at least the portion the media saw. 

sounds like the “we have depth if we can stay healthy” narrative at WR is off. 

Cooks has only missed a few games his entire career. I hope a trend doesnt start here.