Week 5: VIKINGS (2-2) at Bears (1-3)

swede700

Treadwell sucks.

Hated the pick when all of the other Vikes fans on the old forum were clamoring for him. I knew Diggs would be what he is now, and we'd still have Rudolph. Thought Wright was going to be better though, but Thielen has stepped up. With the addition of Floyd I see no reason for Treadwell.

40 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

Treadwell sucks.

Hated the pick when all of the other Vikes fans on the old forum were clamoring for him. I knew Diggs would be what he is now, and we'd still have Rudolph. Thought Wright was going to be better though, but Thielen has stepped up. With the addition of Floyd I see no reason for Treadwell.

I'm just not a fan of WR picked highly, the position is to dependent on other players... I want an individual talent at an impactful position in the 1st round.

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

To me looks like Floyd already leapfrogged Treadwell on the WR charts, as he should. He has a great skillset.

He does. I think he offers so much more than Treadwell at this point. I hope that MN stops throwing Treadwell in for simply run blocking duties though, I'd rather give those reps to better receivers. 

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm just not a fan of WR picked highly, the position is to dependent on other players... I want an individual talent at an impactful position in the 1st round.

So is a RB, but in this particular case, there really wasn't a better player on the board at the time.  Sometimes it works out (Randy Moss, Percy Harvin), sometimes it doesn't (Cordarrelle Patterson, Troy Williamson).

Just now, disaacs said:

So is a RB, but in this particular case, there really wasn't a better player on the board at the time.  Sometimes it works out (Randy Moss, Percy Harvin), sometimes it doesn't (Cordarrelle Patterson, Troy Williamson).

RB is different ... name another offensive position other the QB, where the position could touch the ball on upwards of 33% of the plays.

Center, nailed it.

But yeah, first round RB's have a much higher success rate in the NFL than first round WR's do. Now, I'm not on the dump Treadwell and never play him again band wagon (please note I'm not saying anyone is, I just like to overstate stuff), but it's much much harder to project how well WR's will do in the NFL compared to any other position. There are exceptions like Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones, but even someone like Dez Bryant hasn't fully lived up the expectations. Then you have WR's like Antonio Brown and the top to WR's here who were late round picks or UDFA's. 

You said the position is too dependent on other players...RB is the same thing.  It's dependent on the QB handing it to him (or tossing it) and he's ultimately dependent on the offensive linemen opening some kind of hole for him.  Both wide receivers and RBs can rely on their individual talent to a point, but ultimately they are both dependent on the QB and the offensive line.

24 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Center, nailed it.

But yeah, first round RB's have a much higher success rate in the NFL than first round WR's do. Now, I'm not on the dump Treadwell and never play him again band wagon (please note I'm not saying anyone is, I just like to overstate stuff), but it's much much harder to project how well WR's will do in the NFL compared to any other position. There are exceptions like Calvin Johnson and Julio Jones, but even someone like Dez Bryant hasn't fully lived up the expectations. Then you have WR's like Antonio Brown and the top to WR's here who were late round picks or UDFA's. 

It's just interesting to note that Diggs was a 5th round pick and Thielen went undrafted. Yet, we have recent busts at WR in Patterson and Treadwell (still time to remove label but let's call it was it is) who were first round picks. I feel the success rate of WR is so varied across rounds, it's a hard position to scout. I think the lesson is if you spend a first round pick on a WR, they better look like the prototype and have proven success as a route runner in college. Patterson (routes) and Treadwell (athleticism) didn't fulfill this criteria and should have been drafted later as they were both riskier prospects. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Ugly win but those games in Chicago are always weird. Glad we pulled it out.

QB situation is a nightmare but Keenum seems capable 2 out of 3 games. I don't think Bradford will be healthy, I think you have to go with Keenum. Maybe Teddy will be ready soon. Bradford physically seems done. It's sad because he's not even that old for a QB.

im worried about this pass defense. Seems like we've gotten really conservative with blitz selection.

Apart from the QB situation, the thing that concerns me is the fact that the team has put together two lacklustre performances in consecutive weeks.

The Keenum scamper for 15+ yards was so huge. You need to be relatively athletic at the QB position these days with all the inferior line play. Look at how bad Eli and Big Ben have played this year. Rodgers saved the game against Cowboys by avoided pressure the last drive. Even if Bradford is somewhat healthy, its a matter of time before he gets injured again. At home against a below average pass rush (Saints) are the only games Bradford will excel in. Time to cut bait. 

Hopefully Keenum can remain average until we can see what Bridgewater has to offer. 

33 minutes ago, milanb said:

Apart from the QB situation, the thing that concerns me is the fact that the team has put together two lacklustre performances in consecutive weeks.

Have you watched the rest of the NFL?  The entire league is pretty much lackluster right now.  There has been some bad football for years, but it's getting worse, not better.    They need to reopen the CBA, so the entire league can practice more in the offseason.  

Archived