NFL General Discussion

candyman93

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think OBJ was entirely to blame for Baker, never did, but he played a decent part.

Baker pressed to get him touches, which isn’t OBJ’s fault, but also not how this offense or Baker operates best.

OBJ did his part by running inconsistent routes, dropping easy passes in crucial situations and generally not competing for/making contested catches.  He’d try for some spectacular catches that didn’t involve contact, but he wasn’t much for dealing with contact really at all.

I agree with everything except that he tried to make catches of any kind. That last pass he half heartedly went up for with one arm on the post sums up everything for me in the effort category.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think OBJ was entirely to blame for Baker, never did, but he played a decent part.

Baker pressed to get him touches, which isn’t OBJ’s fault, but also not how this offense or Baker operates best.

OBJ did his part by running inconsistent routes, dropping easy passes in crucial situations and generally not competing for/making contested catches.  He’d try for some spectacular catches that didn’t involve contact, but he wasn’t much for dealing with contact really at all.

If you run a few hundred routes you're going to get open sometimes. I never watched the video but his dad shared that. If you get open often you are a great receiver. OBJ isn't that. He showed lack of effort in the Rams game not really trying for a short catch with defenders around. He didn't try going to the ball to break up the Stafford pass into triple coverage (when he had an easy 1st down to #12 waving his arms). Not all on OBJ but adjust your route and try to knock down the pass, he doesn't seem to ever do that and you can't be great without adjusting to throws, especially downfield.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If you run a few hundred routes you're going to get open sometimes. I never watched the video but his dad shared that. If you get open often you are a great receiver. OBJ isn't that. He showed lack of effort in the Rams game not really trying for a short catch with defenders around. He didn't try going to the ball to break up the Stafford pass into triple coverage (when he had an easy 1st down to #12 waving his arms). Not all on OBJ but adjust your route and try to knock down the pass, he doesn't seem to ever do that and you can't be great without adjusting to throws, especially downfield.

I watched it and I don’t think it proved the point he thought it did.

Did Baker miss him on some throws?  Yeah, of course, every QB does.

A lot of the times he was wide open it was late as hell in the route and often after Baker had already thrown elsewhere.

A number of times there were horrific “misses” by Baker that looked a lot more like a miscommunication to anyone who’s ever played football than a pass that happened to have been 5 yards off target.  For that to be a fault of Baker’s we have to assume he made the wrong read on every one of those.

In general though, I agree with your point.  Take any WR, comb through hundreds of snaps and you’ll find plenty of times they got open and didn’t get the ball.  Such is life.

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

And there were legit people who said he was elite and just "needed get out of Detroit". 

mafs omg GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

I think this also proves most fans have absurd expectations out of their QB.

Dude has 4400/36/13 and people think he’s trash.

Theres a middle ground people tend to overlook far too often.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Jamarr Chase is a big reason why im perfectly fine looking for a WR this draft in the first

It open up so much. 

but also he’s the best receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson. Dude is just special. So good he’s the total package. 

Burrow is so much better than Baker smh

4 minutes ago, brownie man said:

It open up so much. 

but also he’s the best receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson. Dude is just special. So good he’s the total package. 

Burrow is so much better than Baker smh

And they also came into the season with a great rapport having played together.