NFL General Discussion

candyman93

54 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Idk man.  I get it, you don’t believe any of it and it’s all a witch hunt.  Maybe so.

I tend to believe where there’s smoke there’s fire. Sure there can be an odd report of this or that in a player’s career that’s erroneous, but there’s a whole lot of reports of him butting heads with players, coaches, etc from Texas Tech to now. Every slight is a personal affront it seems.

Maybe he’s just been a victim of the media, or always treated poorly, or maybe he’s ***, we’ll never know. We’ll also never agree if you simply dismiss every report as the media drumming stuff up.

Well there isn't smoke, there is talk of smoke. The closest thing was probably OBJ's dad.

I know he had teammates that were frustrated with his play but that is his play. A lot of former teammates came out to say good things wouldn't those that witnessed him doing something wrong also do that?

It's whatever. I could start a rumor on this board that would make a lot of people think that @Nobodyreal did this or that and you'd get enough people believing it that they would spread it and then you'd have 40 people believing and telling more people that it happened.

None of it really matters though, NFL teams will talk to players/coaches etc... if they have interest in him and if he is that bad he will never get a second chance. I mean fourth chance.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well there isn't smoke, there is talk of smoke. The closest thing was probably OBJ's dad.

I can’t tell if you’re being purposefully obtuse or what?

1. KK since his time at Texas Tech 

2. Hue Jackson for being bad at his job.

3. Duke for flapping his gums

4. Myles for flapping his gums

5. the Browns entire org for making business decisions.  

That’s 5 known fires over his career, let along any smoke.

I know he had teammates that were frustrated with his play but that is his play. A lot of former teammates came out to say good things wouldn't those that witnessed him doing something wrong also do that?

Sure they would.  People may have been impacted him differently or have different views on his personality or are just being polite when asked a question.

If I was on that team and some media member asked me my thoughts, I’d say the same boring **** “he was a good teammate, hard worker, enjoyed my time with him” whether I meant it or not because I’m not gonna shade people and air dirty laundry to the media for absolutely no reason. Doesn’t mean I believe any of that stuff, just means I have enough sense not to make waves for no reason.

None of it really matters though, NFL teams will talk to players/coaches etc... if they have interest in him and if he is that bad he will never get a second chance. I mean fourth chance.

You’re missing the point entirely.

Baker seemingly has one mode. The rah rah, emotions on his sleeve, college mentality, win one for the gipper, us against the world, chip on your shoulder ****.  In a situation like what he’s in now where there’s injuries and no expectations, it can be an invigorating burst into a locker room.  It’s less appealing to many when it’s all day every day for years.  It wears on people, especially if he’s not having a ton of success on the field.

This is a difficulty personality to have as a backup QB. As a starter you can get away with just about anything if you’re good enough (see: Watson, Deshaun), but teams want pros they don’t have to worry about from a personal and locker room perspective as backups.

Its along the same lines of why guys like Tebow and Kap didn’t get opportunities.  No one is saying they’re bad people, but the circus that surrounds them (for differing reasons) isn’t worth the squeeze for a BACKUP qb.  (If they were great they’d be able to do whatever they want).

• Like 1

Personally I was a fan of Baker’s when he was here.  I think he’s one of very few who could have done as well as he did over the years he was here and most other dudes would have been broken well before that. I think he has the arm talent and physical ability to play the game at a high level.

I just wish he could have rounded the edges of his personality a bit as he aged and matured a bit, but he never seemed to.  He still seems like the same dude he was 5-6 years ago and that’s a bit of a problem imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I can’t tell if you’re being purposefully obtuse or what?

1. KK since his time at Texas Tech 

2. Hue Jackson for being bad at his job.

3. Duke for flapping his gums

4. Myles for flapping his gums

5. the Browns entire org for making business decisions.  

That’s 5 known fires over his career, let along any smoke.

Sure they would.  People may have been impacted him differently or have different views on his personality or are just being polite when asked a question.

If I was on that team and some media member asked me my thoughts, I’d say the same boring **** “he was a good teammate, hard worker, enjoyed my time with him” whether I meant it or not because I’m not gonna shade people and air dirty laundry to the media for absolutely no reason. Doesn’t mean I believe any of that stuff, just means I have enough sense not to make waves for no reason.

You’re missing the point entirely.

Baker seemingly has one mode. The rah rah, emotions on his sleeve, college mentality, win one for the gipper, us against the world, chip on your shoulder ****.  In a situation like what he’s in now where there’s injuries and no expectations, it can be an invigorating burst into a locker room.  It’s less appealing to many when it’s all day every day for years.  It wears on people, especially if he’s not having a ton of success on the field.

This is a difficulty personality to have as a backup QB. As a starter you can get away with just about anything if you’re good enough (see: Watson, Deshaun), but teams want pros they don’t have to worry about from a personal and locker room perspective as backups.

Its along the same lines of why guys like Tebow and Kap didn’t get opportunities.  No one is saying they’re bad people, but the circus that surrounds them (for differing reasons) isn’t worth the squeeze for a BACKUP qb.  (If they were great they’d be able to do whatever they want).

Okay I think we've both said what we wanted to say.

36 minutes ago, brownie man said:

I’m not getting into this again 

We’re beating the Bengals Sunday whether you like it or not!!!

What does that have to do with anything? We weren't debating who we thought would win or who we wanted to win. You said Baker did something franchise QBs aren't known to do and I just brought up that our starter also has done many things out of the ordinary for franchise QBs.

I hope 52 of our players do great tomorrow. The other one can lose a leg, I don't care.

What loss y’all think was worse this year 

our loss to the Jets or the Raiders loss to the Rams?

both were really unprecedented

at first I was thinking us still, but 

We lost to Joe Flacco who’s worse than Baker, but Flacco has been on the Jets for two years. Baker has been on the Rams for two days. Plus he had to go 98 yards. 

Jets had to score which happens, get the onside, and then score again. 

It’s close man, but I’d say the Raiders now. They literally needed that game to stay in playoff contention. 

52 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

What does that have to do with anything? We weren't debating who we thought would win or who we wanted to win. You said Baker did something franchise QBs aren't known to do and I just brought up that our starter also has done many things out of the ordinary for franchise QBs.

I hope 52 of our players do great tomorrow. The other one can lose a leg, I don't care.

I don’t like Anthony Schwartz either, but this is reasonable over the top.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t like Anthony Schwartz either, but this is reasonable over the top.

Well I don't like him because of his bad play, you don't like him because of his last name so that is probably the difference.

The four consecutive contestants is what I'm referring to, nothing else.

• Like 1