NFL General Discussion

candyman93

I mean, I fully expect him to bottom back out here soon. And it wasn’t an elite performance, but he did put together a nice drive. He just needs to finish the season strong and at least try to carry some momentum with his name into the off-season so he can maybe get one more chance to be in the starting mix somewhere. Most likely, if his head is on straight, he will at least be able to hang on as a back up/spot starter in the league long-term.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I mean, I fully expect him to bottom back out here soon. And it wasn’t an elite performance, but he did put together a nice drive. He just needs to finish the season strong and at least try to carry some momentum with his name into the off-season so he can maybe get one more chance to be in the starting mix somewhere. Most likely, if his head is on straight, he will at least be able to hang on as a back up/spot starter in the league long-term.

I think his attitude and how he accepts being a backup will be the determining factor in how long he plays.

Teams want professional dudes that are good in the locker room and who are 100% committed to supporting a starter as backup QBs.  Baker has always been polarizing and that’s not a great thing for a backup imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Mcvay must have used similar verbiage for slightly different formations.

It all comes from the Shanny system. Mcvay learned his from Kyle and Stefanski learned his from Kubiak who learned his from Mike. Also Baker said the one thing that made it easier was the blocking scheme and protection calls were very similar to what Callahan uses in Cleveland. Which makes perfect sense, since Mcvay and Callahan were in Washington with Kyle for a few years.

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I honestly think right now, what he is doing with the Rams is the best option for him. Mcvay and stefanski all run a form of the Shanahan zone scheme whike utilizing the Callahan blocking schemes. Only difference is Mcvay is more likely the better offensive mind. Rumor is Stafford could potentially retire at the end of this year or at the end of next year cause of the injuries that are starting to pile up for him. He needs to impress them enough to get a contract extension so he can stay and prove himself

7 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

How is it even possible to learn a playbook in 2 days? I get it that he didn’t know the whole thing. But even enough to run a game is pretty incredible. 

Pat McAfee said that he has a photographic memory. Not sure where he heard it but it seems like we would have heard that before but it would explain being able to remember reading a playbook on a plane.

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think his attitude and how he accepts being a backup will be the determining factor in how long he plays.

Teams want professional dudes that are good in the locker room and who are 100% committed to supporting a starter as backup QBs.  Baker has always been polarizing and that’s not a great thing for a backup imo.

He has pretty much always said the right things and hasn't been polarizing but so many people believe rumors that the source says isn't true that they become fact.

None of us know what happens in locker rooms but I suspect a lot would have gotten out if he was a problem.

Yeah, I remember the Duke Johnson thing and he really wasn't a part of the team and Freddie wanted it to be an us vs. the world thing. Yeah, he said Garrett shouldn't have swung his helmet, but duh.

The media just repeats stuff, his personality rubs people the wrong way for some reason, don't know why. Everyone takes it as fact that he is a cancer even though there are no examples.

It just seems odd since there is enough stuff to trash him because of his play that people still make stuff up to attack his commitment to his team. I just never understood it but it will keep being repeated. The Browns moved on because Watson is a better football player and only because of that. They said the adult comment didn't come from the organization and trading fort a sexual predator pretty much confirmed it but it is still thrown around as fact.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He has pretty much always said the right things and hasn't been polarizing but so many people believe rumors that the source says isn't true that they become fact.

None of us know what happens in locker rooms but I suspect a lot would have gotten out if he was a problem.

I mean, there’s been a lot of smoke and subtle bits to show that there were some issues.

Yeah, I remember the Duke Johnson thing and he really wasn't a part of the team and Freddie wanted it to be an us vs. the world thing.

correct.  It’s also something you 100% don’t do.  He crossed a line in that locker room.  Young dude, it happens, but don’t dismiss it as nothing.

Yeah, he said Garrett shouldn't have swung his helmet, but duh.

See above.  Support your teammate or say nothing.

This is like telling your wife “yeah, you do look like you’ve gained some weight.”  You can argue the correctness or whatever else, but it’s gonna go over like a fart in a diver’s helmet.

The media just repeats stuff, his personality rubs people the wrong way for some reason, don't know why. Everyone takes it as fact that he is a cancer even though there are no examples.

The personality is more what I’m talking about.  I don’t think he’s a bad person or a bad teammate based on what I can tell, but imo someone like him would wear me tf out quickly.  He’s cocky, abrasive, unapologetic, imo immature and selectively filtered. Those are things you can be when you’re never wrong or great at what you do or whatever, but when you’re not a savant people are less tolerant to that type of personality.

It just seems odd since there is enough stuff to trash him because of his play that people still make stuff up to attack his commitment to his team. I just never understood it but it will keep being repeated.

I have never and will never his commitment to a team or to playing ball.  Dude earned my respect with his toughness long ago.

The Browns moved on because Watson is a better football player and only because of that.

Agreed.

They said the adult comment didn't come from the organization and trading fort a sexual predator pretty much confirmed it but it is still thrown around as fact.

Idk how much of this I believe or agree with.  

I think when they said they want an adult, they meant in the building, huddle, etc.  Watson is a sex pest, but he’s not been accused of maturity related issues as it relates to the media, teammates, game prep, etc. He knows how to navigate a locker room of grown men in a professional environment. 

Baker has leadership qualities that seemed to work well in college with younger dudes, but not as well with older pros. The rah rah, emotions on your sleeve thing is tedious to some for a day to day professional job.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s cocky, abrasive, unapologetic, imo immature and selectively filtered

He is all that because of media reports from the same people who report things over and over never with a named source, unless you have real examples you are just spreading their moneymaking tactics because it sells. Yeah, he defends himself, team and teammates against Cowherd and company and maybe in a PC world you should just accept it but I don't personally fault anyone for clearing the air or even taking shots back at those taking shots at them, he isn't POTUS just an athlete.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think when they said they want an adult, they meant in the building, huddle, etc.  Watson is a sex pest, but he’s not been accused of maturity related issues as it relates to the media, teammates, game prep, etc. He knows how to navigate a locker room of grown men in a professional environment. 

So you believe those same reporters who had no sources and think Haslam and Stefanski are lying for no reason. Why not just say it's the truth, he isn't on the team anymore and if you are willing to tell some reporter that deals in rumors and unnamed sources why not tell everyone. 90% of those that heard it would support their decision to move on even more.

Watson also demanded to be traded and held out (threatened to anyway, same result except he got paid) which I'm sure some in his lockerroom didn't like. He also said after last game that he and Stefanski have to get on the same page or something like that, If that was Mayfield it would have been a huge story, well it would have been made a huge story by the same people that always make stories.

Anyway, Mayfield has a lot to prove as a player going forward and I think those that say that make a point. Those that say all the other stuff are just believing tabloid stories until something meaningful comes out.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He is all that because of media reports from the same people who report things over and over never with a named source, unless you have real examples you are just spreading their moneymaking tactics because it sells. Yeah, he defends himself, team and teammates against Cowherd and company and maybe in a PC world you should just accept it but I don't personally fault anyone for clearing the air or even taking shots back at those taking shots at them, he isn't POTUS just an athlete.

So you believe those same reporters who had no sources and think Haslam and Stefanski are lying for no reason. Why not just say it's the truth, he isn't on the team anymore and if you are willing to tell some reporter that deals in rumors and unnamed sources why not tell everyone. 90% of those that heard it would support their decision to move on even more.

Watson also demanded to be traded and held out (threatened to anyway, same result except he got paid) which I'm sure some in his lockerroom didn't like. He also said after last game that he and Stefanski have to get on the same page or something like that, If that was Mayfield it would have been a huge story, well it would have been made a huge story by the same people that always make stories.

Anyway, Mayfield has a lot to prove as a player going forward and I think those that say that make a point. Those that say all the other stuff are just believing tabloid stories until something meaningful comes out.

Idk man.  I get it, you don’t believe any of it and it’s all a witch hunt.  Maybe so.

I tend to believe where there’s smoke there’s fire. Sure there can be an odd report of this or that in a player’s career that’s erroneous, but there’s a whole lot of reports of him butting heads with players, coaches, etc from Texas Tech to now. Every slight is a personal affront it seems.

Maybe he’s just been a victim of the media, or always treated poorly, or maybe he’s ***, we’ll never know. We’ll also never agree if you simply dismiss every report as the media drumming stuff up.