NFL General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Personnel wise we also lacked a lot of *** up front to protect those guys.  You can’t have 295 pound 💩 defensive tackles trying to keep 220 pound linebackers clean in the run game.  Not every DT needs to be 350, but you do need a guy or two who can control the LOS when teams wanna start running the ball.  Tomlinson and Ika should at least be able to do that much.

Scheme-wise, it’s more on the DEs. Playing wide 9’s allow the OTs to go right now down to the linebackers unimpeded. 

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Scheme-wise, it’s more on the DEs. Playing wide 9’s allow the OTs to go right now down to the linebackers unimpeded. 

At least we also didn’t have an overlap fit for a veer block

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

Fun fact for that 2020 draft, only 2 defensive players had their options picked up. 14 total options declined and 12 accepted.

It was an elite QB class though with Burrow, Herbert, and Hurts.

Unless I’m missing somebody, DPJ looks like the only “steal” from that class. Only other notable late names are Alex Highsmith and Tyler Biadasz.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Fun fact for that 2020 draft, only 2 defensive players had their options picked up. 14 total options declined and 12 accepted.

It was an elite QB class though with Burrow, Herbert, and Hurts.

Unless I’m missing somebody, DPJ looks like the only “steal” from that class. Only other notable late names are Alex Highsmith and Tyler Biadasz.

Biadasz was my mid round draft crush that year too, as was ironically DPJ who I was banging the table for R4-5 😂 

28 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Biadasz was my mid round draft crush that year too, as was ironically DPJ who I was banging the table for R4-5 😂 

Samesies. I had Biadasz as the highest graded OL that year. He has been a solid pro, not the stud I was thinking…but I’m gonna brag a little about him. Like Wypler, Biadasz got zinged for having below average length (a problem I struggle with myself 😉). He and Wypler are not the same as players, but I think that’s the main reason why they weren’t drafted high. Length for C and DT is pointless to me. You line up an inch across from the dude you’re blocking—length is not an issue. It is at DE/OT and pretty much every other position, but I could care less if you’re 5’9 as a DT/C if you can block. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Samesies. I had Biadasz as the highest graded OL that year. He has been a solid pro, not the stud I was thinking…but I’m gonna brag a little about him. Like Wypler, Biadasz got zinged for having below average length (a problem I struggle with myself 😉). He and Wypler are not the same as players, but I think that’s the main reason why they weren’t drafted high. Length for C and DT is pointless to me. You line up an inch across from the dude you’re blocking—length is not an issue. It is at DE/OT and pretty much every other position, but I could care less if you’re 5’9 as a DT/C if you can block. 

My old HC and mentor coach used to call that "Built in leverage" for interior OL/DL. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Can anyone give me an example of a player failing due to arm length?  Iirc Joe Thomas was nitpicked about his arm length and he scraped by.

I’m not saying length doesn’t help, just that it’s more of a “well that’s a plus” as opposed to an actual reason someone can’t block or play DL.  Sort of like height at QB.  It’s nice, but you’re never thinking “if he was 2” taller he’d have made that throw”.

If that’s the biggest knock on Wypler we’re in good shape imo.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think you're both right and wrong on this. JOK is a 4-3 STAR/SAM linebacker. We are using him as a 4-2-5 WILL linebacker, where we never roll down the back side safety to provide sound gap fits. JOK, as a WILL linebacker, is being asked to cover multiple gaps defensively because we insisted on playing quarters coverage almost exclusively. This put our back side LB'er in a no-win situation constantly. He's responsible for the B-gap in the run fit, but also responsible for both edge help & cutback, if it goes to the strong side. He was being asked to do way too much. Even if we did have a roll down safety to support, JOK is a true outside linebacker. He shouldn't be playing in the box...especially at WILL.

The entirety of the run defense last year was an abomination. There's a reason why it looked like nobody knew where to fit. It's because they didn't. We were trying to fit the run with two linebackers, one of which was horribly out of position. Also, idk what our linebacker coaches were teaching. Our LB's ran into blocks with their outside arm getting pinned so often that I honestly to Christ think that's what we were teaching them to do. It was every single linebacker. And we didn't fight to get over the top of those down blocks...it's like we were locked into that fit, thinking it was where we were supposed to be. I honestly think we had the dumbest coaches in the world on the defensive side of the football. I know they're in the NFL, but I am 100% confident I could outcoach Woods.

I'm giving JOK a pass. All of the things he was amazing at in college he hasn't ever been asked to do in our system. I was praying to Christ we drafted a WILL linebacker so that he could move to SAM, but it didn't really happen. Hoping we figure out a way to keep him to the TE's/multiple receivers--where he belongs.

So... you're saying Joe Woods sucks?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Can anyone give me an example of a player failing due to arm length?  Iirc Joe Thomas was nitpicked about his arm length and he scraped by.

I’m not saying length doesn’t help, just that it’s more of a “well that’s a plus” as opposed to an actual reason someone can’t block or play DL.  Sort of like height at AB.  It’s nice, but you’re never thinking “if he was 2” taller he’d have made that throw”.

If that’s the biggest knock on Wypler we’re in good shape imo.

I've seen some DL "fall" because of it, but not too many OL fall because of it. I think it's more of a factor for EDGE guys, THEN OT (in that order), then your interior DL/OL (in that order)...and I don't think it matters at all on the inside for OL.

With the emphasis/need for hand usage to disengage from blocks for DL, I understand that line of thinking, but for OL, I don't think it matters nearly as much on that side of the ball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

This is the major danger and issue with our reactionary society. We are robbing people of due process and wrecking their lives. Many of us are unfortunately guilty of this. I’m not sure what exactly the answer is here, but things like this could have ruined this guys life and aspirations of an NFL career.

• Like 2

Read an interesting breakdown of the new NFL TV deals on Reddit-

“It’s specifically Fox and CBS, who previously held the NFC and AFC packages, respectively. The distinction has meant less and less over the last decade or so with “cross-flexing,” and now it’s removed entirely. Games are assigned to each network independently of conference (though I assume they’ll still work to get both networks in every stadium at least once). I assume there won’t be any bidding or drafts—games are probably just assigned by the league when scheduling.

Sunday night flexing seems largely unchanged—CBS and Fox are able to protect a handful of games each from flexing, but otherwise NBC largely gets its pick from Week 11 on (plus up to two games after Week 5 but before Week 11).

The new Monday night flexing is under basically the same rules as Sunday night, but is limited to Week 13 and beyond.”

This could in theory really help the Columbus market who has to decide between Cinci and Cleveland.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

This is the major danger and issue with our reactionary society. We are robbing people of due process and wrecking their lives. Many of us are unfortunately guilty of this. I’m not sure what exactly the answer is here, but things like this could have ruined this guys life and aspirations of an NFL career.

Easy: cancel the people who canceled Araiza - it's what we do best!