NFL General Discussion

candyman93

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What’s he done to build the core? He inherited most of it, is a mediocre draft guy, and is mortgaging everything after making to date the literal worst trade in NFL history.

Picks he gets credit for:

Wills: Not Wirfs, super mediocre at best 

Delpit: Had a phenomenal year last year, good pick, not Winfield good

Rest of 2020: Not on roster

2021: Newsome and JOK, both rock solid picks, Hudson fine depth, rest of 2021 not on roster

2022-2024; Traded for Watson, epic awful trade and contract. Emerson homerun pick, Alex Wright is fine at best, Bell/Winfrey/York awful, Ford is fine, Tillman is whatever, DeWand looks like a homerun but part of why he fell was injury and weight concerns with his build, which happened last year, this year all unknown.

Additionally, Cooper trade is an A, Conklin’s contract is a disappointing one, Elijah Moore not a good trade, and tbd on Jeudy but I hate everything about it.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I was fine with your critiques except this.

Winfield is literally the best safety in the NFL. Nobody was expecting THAT level of production. I was his biggest fan and thought he’d be a very good multiple pro bowl safety.

32 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I was fine with your critiques except this.

Winfield is literally the best safety in the NFL. Nobody was expecting THAT level of production. I was his biggest fan and thought he’d be a very good multiple pro bowl safety.

Not just that, but he’s been healthy 3 years and most of us wanted him and he was taken after. I’m not saying it’s a bad pick, same with Wills, but I’m saying it was between Wirfs and Winfield and he went opposite twice.

Posted (edited)

With the direction the game is going-

Berry needs to do a better job drafting WRs and pass rushers. Guys like Alex Wright and Isaiah Mcguire need to step up. Then at WR you have Bell, Thrash, and Tillman. If we not, we will have to draft a WR with a 1st next year.

I strangely think we’re fine at linebacker. DTs and our secondary are a strength. I think we have the best secondary in the NFL pound for pound.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2024 at 9:37 AM, MWil23 said:

Picks he gets credit for:

Wills: Not Wirfs, super mediocre at best 

Rest of 2020: Not on roster

2021: Newsome and JOK, both rock solid picks, Hudson fine depth, rest of 2021 not on roster

2022-2024; Traded for Watson, epic awful trade and contract. Emerson homerun pick, Alex Wright is fine at best, Bell/Winfrey/York awful, Ford is fine, Tillman is whatever, DeWand looks like a homerun but part of why he fell was injury and weight concerns with his build, which happened last year, this year all unknown.

Additionally, Cooper trade is an A, Conklin’s contract is a disappointing one, Elijah Moore not a good trade, and tbd on Jeudy but I hate everything about it.

I have never seen anyone complain about finding starters in the draft. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JDD said:

I have never seen anyone complain about finding starters in the draft. 

Those are not complaints. I gave credit on all those picks, some of them were good to great and some have been underwhelming. As a whole, he hasn’t been a good GM at all when it comes to drafting or draft capital and it’s really not a debate.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Those are not complaints. I gave credit on all those picks, some of them were good to great and some have been underwhelming. As a whole, he hasn’t been a good GM at all when it comes to drafting or draft capital and it’s really not a debate.

Some would SERIOUSLY disagree with this statement.....he's been the best GM we've had in MANY years....SOME of those players who "Aren't on the roster anymore" ARE on other NFL Rosters...and no he's not been perfect, But he has assembled the best Secondary in Football, using only 1 1rst round pick (Newsome Jr.) to do it....(Delpit 2nd, Emmerson 3rd, Mitchell 5th, Harden 7th, Hickman and Bell UDFA's).

I bet you there are SERVERAL teams (like the Panthers, Saints, Cardinals Patriots and Giants) would KILL for him to be the GM over what they go right now....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Some would SERIOUSLY disagree with this statement.....he's been the best GM we've had in MANY years....SOME of those players who "Aren't on the roster anymore" ARE on other NFL Rosters...and no he's not been perfect, But he has assembled the best Secondary in Football, using only 1 1rst round pick (Newsome Jr.) to do it....(Delpit 2nd, Emmerson 3rd, Mitchell 5th, Harden 7th, Hickman and Bell UDFA's).

He definitely gets credit for Emerson and Delpit and Newsome. Ward he inherited, the rest of those guys are fringe roster types for now.

16 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I bet you there are SERVERAL teams (like the Panthers, Saints, Cardinals Patriots and Giants) would KILL for him to be the GM over what they go right now....

The Panthers GM is a nonexistent person considering their owner makes their picks for him.

The Saints GM helped build a Super Bowl championship roster, so I disagree.

Schoen is whatever, re-signing Danny Dimes was a horrific move but at least they can walk away from that deal, to go with inheriting a horrible team and drafting KT and Nabers who both look promising at least.

Berry inherited a fantastic roster and added a few nice pieces while also making some significantly and to this point historically bad trades and contracts.

20 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He definitely gets credit for Emerson and Delpit and Newsome. Ward he inherited, the rest of those guys are fringe roster types for now.

The Panthers GM is a nonexistent person considering their owner makes their picks for him.

The Saints GM helped build a Super Bowl championship roster, so I disagree.

Schoen is whatever, re-signing Danny Dimes was a horrific move but at least they can walk away from that deal, to go with inheriting a horrible team and drafting KT and Nabers who both look promising at least.

Berry inherited a fantastic roster and added a few nice pieces while also making some significantly and to this point historically bad trades and contracts.

I forgot how to break it up to respond to each thing individually, LOL, so bear with me. 

He inherited Ward, agreed, but there are 5-6 people in the secondary on Avg, so he found the other 4 or 5 to go with Ward. And I would disagree that the rest of thoes guys are "Fringe Players" Thornhill has 2 SB rings...and Cam Mitchell and Harden would BOTH or either be starting at 2nd CB or Nickle Back in Washington, AZ, Atl or Indy Right now...i choose to give him credit for that...as ALL GM's inherit someone...Unless the are an expansion team GM. 

Mickey Loomis last won an executive of the year in 2006, and did help them win a SB back in 2009 (2 decades ago, with Drew Breees at QB and Sean Payton, who Tom Benson hired)....the only QB he ever "Found" was Drew Brees (who was drafted by the Chargers and he rolled the dice on him coming off a completely destroyed rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder).....And they are just coming off one of worst salary cap situations in HISTORY....Lommis hasnt been terrible...but I think A.B. is better....

What draft picks besides 1rst rounders has schoen Evan Neal and Deonte Banks?!?! so thats 50%-50%...and to me, good GM's are ones that find talent in rounds 3, 4, 5....not top 5/top 6 picks....those you CANT miss on, just to be considered a basically competent GM......finding Delpits and JOK's in rounds 2, and Emmerson in round 3....NOW were talking....

Inherited a Fantastic Roster? Lets look at our #1 ranked defense last year and see how many of the starting 11 + nickel back that he Brought in....Anthony Walker, JOK, Thornhill, Delpit, Emmerson, Newsome, Davlin Thomlison, Zadarius Smith.....thats 8 out of 11.....are we counting the same roster? And that's JUST defense. Also making moves like not sitting put on Cade York because he was a high draft pick for a kicker and making a move to bring in Dustin Hopkins and then flipping York for the cost it took us to get Hopkins...

And what "Historically bad" Trade's and Contract's has he done....besides Watson, who we all know you hate...but what other "Historically' bad with an "S" trades/Contracts? 

16 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I forgot how to break it up to respond to each thing individually, LOL, so bear with me. 

If you hit enter/return it’ll break the box into chunks :) 

He inherited Ward, agreed, but there are 5-6 people in the secondary on Avg, so he found the other 4 or 5 to go with Ward. And I would disagree that the rest of thoes guys are "Fringe Players" Thornhill has 2 SB rings...and Cam Mitchell and Harden would BOTH or either be starting at 2nd CB or Nickle Back in Washington, AZ, Atl or Indy Right now...i choose to give him credit for that...as ALL GM's inherit someone...Unless the are an expansion team GM. 

I don’t personally get the fascination with Mitchell yet or see what he’s done to warrant anything more than a fringe roster status player. Same with Harden.

Mickey Loomis last won an executive of the year in 2006, and did help them win a SB back in 2009 (2 decades ago, with Drew Breees at QB and Sean Payton, who Tom Benson hired)....the only QB he ever "Found" was Drew Brees (who was drafted by the Chargers and he rolled the dice on him coming off a completely destroyed rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder).....And they are just coming off one of worst salary cap situations in HISTORY....Lommis hasnt been terrible...but I think A.B. is better....

Just saying, a guy with a ring responsible for assembling a Super Bowl championship team, something this team has never been to or done, with 20 years of experience I think is clearly better.

As for the salary cap situation, I agree with you, and that’s the exact model AB has replicated here. Spend spend spend, kick the can down the road, restructure and pay out huge bonuses, etc.

As for Brees being the only good player he’s ever found, that’s simply not true:

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/lists/saints-nfl-draft-cam-jordan-malcolm-jenkins-marques-colston-alvin-kamara-zach-strief-michael-thomas-jimmy-graham/

What draft picks besides 1rst rounders has schoen Evan Neal and Deonte Banks?!?!

I am a massive Kayvon Thibideaux fan.

so thats 50%-50%...and to me, good GM's are ones that find talent in rounds 3, 4, 5....not top 5/top 6 picks....those you CANT miss on, just to be considered a basically competent GM......finding Delpits and JOK's in rounds 2, and Emmerson in round 3....NOW were talking....

Emerson and JOK were homerun picks and I like Delpit too, he had a great year last year after some unfortunate injuries and not being utilized correctly. But aside from those 3 guys and DeWand Jones, there’s not much at all there that has even been roster-worthy.

Inherited a Fantastic Roster? Let’s look at our #1 ranked defense last year and see how many of the starting 11 + nickel back that he Brought in....Anthony Walker, JOK, Thornhill, Delpit, Emmerson, Newsome, Davlin Thomlison, Zadarius Smith.....thats 8 out of 11.....are we counting the same roster? And that's JUST defense. Also making moves like not sitting put on Cade York because he was a high draft pick for a kicker and making a move to bring in Dustin Hopkins and then flipping York for the cost it took us to get Hopkins...

Walker, Thornhill, and Z are pretty average guys, I like Tomlinson, and wasn’t Berry the one who way overdrafted York to begin with?

And what "Historically bad" Trade's and Contract's has he done....besides Watson, who we all know you hate...but what other "Historically' bad with an "S" trades/Contracts? 

Well, that’s the one. To this point it’s been the worst ever. I also absolutely HATE the Jeudy trade and contract, the Moore trade, and that’s where I am.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If you hit enter/return it’ll break the box into chunks :) 

I don’t personally get the fascination with Mitchell yet or see what he’s done to warrant anything more than a fringe roster status player. Same with Harden.

Just saying, a guy with a ring responsible for assembling a Super Bowl championship team, something this team has never been to or done, with 20 years of experience I think is clearly better.

As for the salary cap situation, I agree with you, and that’s the exact model AB has replicated here. Spend spend spend, kick the can down the road, restructure and pay out huge bonuses, etc.

As for Brees being the only good player he’s ever found, that’s simply not true:

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/lists/saints-nfl-draft-cam-jordan-malcolm-jenkins-marques-colston-alvin-kamara-zach-strief-michael-thomas-jimmy-graham/

I am a massive Kayvon Thibideaux fan.

Emerson and JOK were homerun picks and I like Delpit too, he had a great year last year after some unfortunate injuries and not being utilized correctly. But aside from those 3 guys and DeWand Jones, there’s not much at all there that has even been roster-worthy.

Walker, Thornhill, and Z are pretty average guys, I like Tomlinson, and wasn’t Berry the one who way overdrafted York to begin with?

Well, that’s the one. To this point it’s been the worst ever. I also absolutely HATE the Jeudy trade and contract, the Moore trade, and that’s where I am.

I respect your points of view Brother....hope it didnt come off Snippy....

Mitchell looked GOOD last year when pressed into slot action...and Harden has been lights out in the Preseason (I watched the Minn Practice highlights and game......and I live in the DMV area and seen some of their DB's live in practice..and I can tell you RIGHT now Myles Harden (7th round) is playing better than Emmanual Forbes (1rst round pick) and would take his position....so rookie CB's who can already hold their own as rookies...and both late day 3 picks...not bad. 

I too was a huge fan of Thibideux...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I respect your points of view Brother....hope it didnt come off Snippy....

Mitchell looked GOOD last year when pressed into slot action...and Harden has been lights out in the Preseason (I watched the Minn Practice highlights and game......and I live in the DMV area and seen some of their DB's live in practice..and I can tell you RIGHT now Myles Harden (7th round) is playing better than Emmanual Forbes (1rst round pick) and would take his position....so rookie CB's who can already hold their own as rookies...and both late day 3 picks...not bad. 

I too was a huge fan of Thibideux...

The harden hype from the local media folks has been consistent.  Dude had a great camp apparently.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:16 PM, DaWg_LB. said:

What draft picks besides 1rst rounders has schoen Evan Neal and Deonte Banks?!?! so thats 50%-50%...and to me, good GM's are ones that find talent in rounds 3, 4, 5....not top 5/top 6 picks....those you CANT miss on, just to be considered a basically competent GM......finding Delpits and JOK's in rounds 2, and Emmerson in round 3....NOW were talking....

Inherited a Fantastic Roster? Lets look at our #1 ranked defense last year and see how many of the starting 11 + nickel back that he Brought in....Anthony Walker, JOK, Thornhill, Delpit, Emmerson, Newsome, Davlin Thomlison, Zadarius Smith.....thats 8 out of 11.....are we counting the same roster? And that's JUST defense. Also making moves like not sitting put on Cade York because he was a high draft pick for a kicker and making a move to bring in Dustin Hopkins and then flipping York for the cost it took us to get Hopkins...

You forgot most points surrendered in the afc north.

team with Dushbag last place in the afc

draft position mayfield 27th Berrys team😂