NFL General Discussion

candyman93

Personally I'd rather have Fields as our backup than Winston. Fields is a little cheaper so I would have rather traded a future 6th and got him.

Steelers are paying 65 million less this year for their starter/backup QBs than we are.

It's up to Watson to keep us from looking like fools. So far...

22 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Personally I'd rather have Fields as our backup than Winston. Fields is a little cheaper so I would have rather traded a future 6th and got him.

Steelers are paying 65 million less this year for their starter/backup QBs than we are.

It's up to Watson to keep us from looking like fools. So far...

Yeah but Fields for us wasn't really feasible. 

It would cost 3.2 million this year and draft capital and we would have to make the decision on his 5th year option.

I understand in a perfect world we would prefer Fields over Winston, but we weren't trading for him and then dealing with whether he should be paid or not.

Winston provides us a serviceable backup that will be fine for us.

3 hours ago, CBrownsman said:

Yeah but Fields for us wasn't really feasible. 

It would cost 3.2 million this year and draft capital and we would have to make the decision on his 5th year option.

I understand in a perfect world we would prefer Fields over Winston, but we weren't trading for him and then dealing with whether he should be paid or not.

Winston provides us a serviceable backup that will be fine for us.

Assuming the Bears would have offered us the same deal we'd give up a 2025 6th and save 800,000 in salary vs Winston. 

It's a back up role so it isn't a big deal and Winston is much more experienced. That said, I'd rather see what Fields could do if the situation called for the backup to play.

You wouldn't pick up the 5th year option if he didn't play. Even if he did play and played well you'd just trade him after picking up the option or let him walk and get a comp pick. We aren't playing around with a big salary on a backup QB, the starter is 64 million, that already surpasses the QB room budget. 

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Assuming the Bears would have offered us the same deal we'd give up a 2025 6th and save 800,000 in salary vs Winston. 

It's a back up role so it isn't a big deal and Winston is much more experienced. That said, I'd rather see what Fields could do if the situation called for the backup to play.

You wouldn't pick up the 5th year option if he didn't play. Even if he did play and played well you'd just trade him after picking up the option or let him walk and get a comp pick. We aren't playing around with a big salary on a backup QB, the starter is 64 million, that already surpasses the QB room budget. 

Bears traded Fields to somewhere he wanted to go. 

It's like when the Pats traded Jimmy G. We weren't in the mix. 

5 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bears traded Fields to somewhere he wanted to go. 

It's like when the Pats traded Jimmy G. We weren't in the mix. 

Maybe, or maybe they were just trying to save face.

I would guess Fields would rather play in Cleveland. He would already have a fan base from his college days and Watson is more likely to miss games giving him his shot to play than Wilson. At least historically. Browns also currently have more talent.

Steelers aren't stuck with Wilson though, that's the only thing that favors them. If he struggles it would be easy to bench him. Watson starts no matter what because of his contract. They aren't benching 64 million per season.

Edited by Thomas5737

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Maybe, or maybe they were just trying to save face.

I would guess Fields would rather play in Cleveland. He would already have a fan base from his college days and Watson is more likely to miss games giving him his shot to play than Wilson. At least historically. Browns also currently have more talent.

Steelers aren't stuck with Wilson though, that's the only thing that favors them. If he struggles it would be easy to bench him. Watson starts no matter what because of his contract. They aren't benching 64 million per season.

He gets to compete with Wilson. He doesn't get to compete here.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’ve already said he’s the backup, there’s no QB competition there.

And I doubt Wilson plays enough in the preseason to lose the job. That said, he does have a better chance at beating him out than Watson which would be zero percent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

And I doubt Wilson plays enough in the preseason to lose the job. That said, he does have a better chance at beating him out than Watson which would be zero percent.

Yeah Pittsburgh is a good spot for fields tbh.

weapons, defense, good organization. 

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah Pittsburgh is a good spot for fields tbh.

weapons, defense, good organization. 

I agree. My only issue with it is they have to make a decision on his 5th year option without seeing him play. Assuming they don't pick up the option, he becomes a UFA at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, roger murdock said:

They chose Winston as backup because it’s hypocritical for fans to want Watson benched because his backup is the only other QB with a sexual assault history

Having a likable backup is a liability

c07.gif

9 hours ago, roger murdock said:

They chose Winston as backup because it’s hypocritical for fans to want Watson benched because his backup is the only other QB with a sexual assault history

Having a likable backup is a liability

Not a bad point if we had a QB we could bench. No way we are benching the highest paid player in the NFL for 2024. It would be career suicide for the front office, that's why Watson holds all of the cards. The Browns are his B and he can do whatever he wants.