College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

53 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

So does that mean we’re going to pass on a lot of Alabama players?

Saban is phenomenal at convincing guys to stick around 4 years.

Georgia had a lot of seniors on that front 7 too.

Probably, if they’re older.

Wills, Delpit, Newsome and JOK were all 21 or younger when drafted. 

Even going back to the Sashi years, Coleman, Myles, Njoku, Peppers, Kizer, etc all fit that criteria. 

A 4 year guy may not be out of the question, but a rSR would be something I wouldn’t expect. In fact I’d be stunned.

We’ve got a good baseline of what they like and what analytics favors.  

- young: rSO/JR

- early breakout age: no late bloomers, players should have multiple seasons of experience

- From a major conference

- Above average athleticism. Not to say they’re all H/W/S freaks, but raw athletic ability won’t be a reason for failure. 

- Productive: They’re not going to take a guy whose ability is a projection, they want a history of high level play.  Awards are a plus, conference and/or national 

- Team Captain

I think if you look back after we draft someone in April the first rounder will meet all of those.  Likely R2 also. Later in the draft those type of guys aren’t always available, but they’ll meet most of those.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Probably, if they’re older.

Wills, Delpit, Newsome and JOK were all 21 or younger when drafted. 

Even going back to the Sashi years, Coleman, Myles, Njoku, Peppers, Kizer, etc all fit that criteria. 

A 4 year guy may not be out of the question, but a rSR would be something I wouldn’t expect. In fact I’d be stunned.

You know who we took with the 1st pick of the draft though...?

Baker Mayfield Football GIF by Progressive

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who Dorsey took?

2PzE.gif

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And tbh, Baker fits most of that criteria.  He just wasn’t young, but he did have an early breakout age.

Too bad, I was going to dunk on you with Nick Chubb too. ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-I just hope we try to fill a lot of the significant holes in FA so that we can take BPA at our selection, I would hate to be forced to take a position due to necessity.

Absolutely agreed as long as they get a stud at WR or some capable athletic weapons out there.

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-I feel a trade down could be in play (especially if nets a future 1)

I think this is going to happen. They need to make a huge move in 2023 for a quarterback, and everyone knows it. Based upon the talent level of the roster, they're highly unlikely to be in a position to pick one high, meaning that we'd better acquire a war chest.