College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

All of this is absolutely a FACT.

It's also a fact that Baker threw the 2nd most uncatchable passes in the NFL, which is alarming, especially given the significantly less amount of passes he threw this year.

Its almost like.....he was injured lol

I just find it hard to believe a players biggest strength (accuracy) just nosedives off a cliff. 

Either way, Garrett Wilson needs to be a Brown no matter how you slice it. There are too many factors that make sense. This offense needs a legit WR1. Baker and Wilson are actually friends from back in the day in Texas. Hes a Ohio St. product, ect, ect

It just...makes sense. I am worried about ATL though ahead of us. If Ridley is gone and they already lost Julio--they could easily snag him and wreck the Browns gameplan.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Could Jameson William drop to the 2nd with the ACL tear?  Draft Wilson rd 1 Willams Rd 2....problem solved

I have been hearing a ton about other WRs in this class vaulting up draft boards. Like Bell for instance.

What if a guy like Olave slid into the early-mid second round because of his age, non elite size and somewhat pedestrian Senior year? What if the Browns put their nuts on the table and draft both Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave in the 1st + 2nd rounds.. What if......

Im going to go change my pants.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I firmly believe that it is best to build on your strengths.

If LB, DL or OL are BPA when we pick, we take the best of them.

All this talk of WRs in R1 and R2 is silly.

I have seen Olave mocked to us at frickin' 13!

I trust in Berry to use the pick more responsibly than that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bruceb said:

Wouldn't even be shocked by this one. Olave is a really good prospect who's suffering from "prospect fatigue" because he's been a name to watch for so long. If he's the pick at 13, it's because he's a good Z. 

Not to mention, Berry's picked for need in each of his two first rounds.

8 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:
10 hours ago, bruceb said:

Wouldn't even be shocked by this one. Olave is a really good prospect who's suffering from "prospect fatigue" because he's been a name to watch for so long. If he's the pick at 13, it's because he's a good Z. 

I love Olave, but I have major questions about his ability to beat press coverage on the outside, which the analytics back from his entire OSU career. Parlayed with his very slight frame, that's cause for concern.

Now, I do think he's super fluid, runs great routes with great hands, and has good body control. Worst case scenario, he's going to excel in the slot and potentially work his way into a capable 2nd WR who moves the chains and is a viable Red Zone target.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if he was one of those guys at 13 that doesn't live up to expectations, but has a high enough floor as to where you're not going to have a "major bust" on your hands.

I think he compares a lot to either Jimmy Smith or Keenan McCardell if he can learn to consistently beat man/press man coverage.

57 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

He has, but he also hasn’t reached.  Both Willis and Newsome were guys who were projected in that spot or higher.

I think you could argue either was BPA regardless of position (based on how people viewed them at the time) and it wouldn’t be incorrect.

51 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I love Olave, but I have major questions about his ability to beat press coverage on the outside, which the analytics back from his entire OSU career. Parlayed with his very slight frame, that's cause for concern.

Now, I do think he's super fluid, runs great routes with great hands, and has good body control. Worst case scenario, he's going to excel in the slot and potentially work his way into a capable 2nd WR who moves the chains and is a viable Red Zone target.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if he was one of those guys at 13 that doesn't live up to expectations, but has a high enough floor as to where you're not going to have a "major bust" on your hands.

I think he compares a lot to either Jimmy Smith or Keenan McCardell if he can learn to consistently beat man/press man coverage.

I’ve seen Calvin Ridley as a comp and I think that’s fair, but I’m not sure he has the same top end speed.

Ridley may be a best case scenario.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Did you watch his second year when he was heathy and was under 60%?

I can chalk that season up to horrific playcalling, long developing routes and only trying to complete 20 yard passes every single play.

Hes not without his faults, he played like crap--but if you look at the timeline of where his play fell off this year, it lines up perfectly with that injury in the Texans game. Im willing to give him a pass for that. Just wish he would get rid of the sh***ty attitude and little man syndrome. 

Plus, the Browns really dont have another option given how average this QB class is and their draft position. They have no choice but to try and make this work 1 more season and hope he bounces back so discussing anything else is a moot point.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve seen Calvin Ridley as a comp and I think that’s fair, but I’m not sure he has the same top end speed.

Ridley may be a best case scenario.

I'm going to be very intrigued to see how Olave tests. I've never gotten great RAC vibes from him on crossers/explosive potential like I did Ridley, but maybe that's scheme and what was asked from him at OSU.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm going to be very intrigued to see how Olave tests. I've never gotten great RAC vibes from him on crossers/explosive potential like I did Ridley, but maybe that's scheme and what was asked from him at OSU.

Testing will be huge for him.

I think he needs mid 4.4’s or better to a top 20 type of a guy.  That puts him in the Bruce/Harrison mold perhaps.

If he doesn’t show the wheels you’re looking at more of the #2 possession guy who made need reps on the slot to help him get some clean releases.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I can chalk that season up to horrific playcalling, long developing routes and only trying to complete 20 yard passes every single play.

I did too up until this year

Hes not without his faults, he played like crap--but if you look at the timeline of where his play fell off this year, it lines up perfectly with that injury in the Texans game.

Really? I was just told by someone that he played so well in 6 of his first 8 games, so which is it exactly? 

Im willing to give him a pass for that. Just wish he would get rid of the sh***ty attitude and little man syndrome. 

That's who he is and has always been. We've known that prickly abrasive attitude since he was a sophomore in college, and tbh, I love it when he is doing well and if he channels it correctly. However, he's really toeing that line between playing with a chip on his shoulder and being extremely insecure and petty.

Plus, the Browns really dont have another option given how average this QB class is and their draft position.

100% this is where I'm at, but no excuses post 2022 period.

They have no choice but to try and make this work 1 more season and hope he bounces back so discussing anything else is a moot point.

I'd still inquire about Cousins and see if the Vikings are all in on a rebuild...maybe make some calls and do some due diligence on guys like Rodgers and Wilson too (not that those will happen).

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Testing will be huge for him.

I think he needs mid 4.4’s or better to a top 20 type of a guy.  That puts him in the Bruce/Harrison mold perhaps.

Those are both really good comps, or even a "just past his prime Torry Holt" who had versatility inside and outside, was always open, was a great Red Zone threat, but he's not going to do much of anything from a YAC standpoint. The lack of a YAC isn't really a big deal to me if you're getting work done on 3rd Downs and in the Red Zone. I mean, that game-breaking potential is absolutely necessary and a weapon somewhere, but if you told me that Olave was a Hall of Very Good, let alone a fringe HOF or definitive HOF, sign me up for that 10 times out of 10.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If he doesn’t show the wheels you’re looking at more of the #2 possession guy who made need reps on the slot to help him get some clean releases.

This is absolutely where I see him. A #2 who will need to be used a lot more in the slot early on, get some bulk on that frame, and then hopefully due to our scheme and other things perhaps teams play a lot of zone against us anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Those are both really good comps, or even a "just past his prime Torry Holt" who had versatility inside and outside, was always open, was a great Red Zone threat, but he's not going to do much of anything from a YAC standpoint. The lack of a YAC isn't really a big deal to me if you're getting work done on 3rd Downs and in the Red Zone. I mean, that game-breaking potential is absolutely necessary and a weapon somewhere, but if you told me that Olave was a Hall of Very Good, let alone a fringe HOF or definitive HOF, sign me up for that 10 times out of 10.

This is absolutely where I see him. A #2 who will need to be used a lot more in the slot early on, get some bulk on that frame, and then hopefully due to our scheme and other things perhaps teams play a lot of zone against us anyway.

If he hits that mid 4.4 mark another comp would be Stefon Diggs, who did very well in this exact scheme.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1