College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Meh even with our 1st, the top 3 studs will be gone by the 15th pick. We were never getting Harrison/Nabers/Coleman. I would be happy with Xavier Leggette, Xavier Worthy, Devontez Walker, or Jatavion Sanders (TE) in round 2.

I am also still convinced offensive staff just sucks at developing passing concepts to help our guys. I am still convinced we have something with Elijah Moore. We are square peg-round holeing him. 

Fair, and I have a suspicion that the offense in general doesnt require a great WR2. Sure obviously it would be nice but I get the feeling WR2 is like the 4th or 5th wheel in this offense. Even when DPJ was starting it wasnt like he was getting a ton of designed plays to him or targets each game.

In Stefanski's perfect world the WR2 is a deep speed demon which they have been looking to get for years to compliment a guy like Cooper outside and the TEs underneath. A guy you can target 3-4x per game 15+ yards downfield and on gadget plays around the LOS but outside of that, this offense is all about the RBs/WR1/TEs

Edited by AkronsWitness

On 11/26/2023 at 2:06 PM, roger murdock said:

You are basing your argument off

• Things that happened 35 years ago like they matter anymore when football strategy and CFB as a sport are willllldly different
  • A recruitment narrative that is manufactured in your head a not rooted in reality - if you dont like rivals check 247, espn, or whatever the hell rankings you want.  They all say the same thing. 

You’re free to ignore anything that happened before 2006. Just don’t expect to be taken seriously when you make comments like “I never expected us to win a big game with Jim Tressel” in one breath and ignore Ryan Day’s 1-5 record vs Top 5 teams and 1-3 record vs Michigan in another..

You know, as long as we are talking about being rooted in reality.

7 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I am also still convinced offensive staff just sucks at developing passing concepts to help our guys. I am still convinced we have something with Elijah Moore. We are square peg-round holeing him. 

How are we using him incorrectly?  

not baiting, just curious as there does seem to be some talent but he’s done absolutely nothing.

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

In Stefanski's perfect world the WR2 is a deep speed demon which they have been looking to get for years to compliment a guy like Cooper outside and the TEs underneath. A guy you can target 3-4x per game 15+ yards downfield and on gadget plays around the LOS but outside of that, this offense is all about the RBs/WR1/TEs

yeah I feel the same way and honestly thought a guy like Moore with his 4.3 speed would be a good fit there. Maybe that’s just not his game, I’m not gonna pretend to have watched a ton of his college stuff.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How are we using him incorrectly?  

not baiting, just curious as there does seem to be some talent but he’s done absolutely nothing.

I would put him in the slot constantly. I would have Tillman and Cooper out wide. Moore would be running wheels, crossers, whip routes, jets, and bubbles. Instead, we are using him as an outside receiver running curl routes 90% of the time. I don't understand what concepts we are using to scheme him into space, where he is pretty damn good.

I watched a TON of his college tape when he was a prospect coming up. I had him ranked as the #9 overall player in that draft class. He isn't doing any of the things he did at Ole Miss.

38 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I would put him in the slot constantly. I would have Tillman and Cooper out wide. Moore would be running wheels, crossers, whip routes, jets, and bubbles. Instead, we are using him as an outside receiver running curl routes 90% of the time. I don't understand what concepts we are using to scheme him into space, where he is pretty damn good.

I watched a TON of his college tape when he was a prospect coming up. I had him ranked as the #9 overall player in that draft class. He isn't doing any of the things he did at Ole Miss.

The insistence on playing outside has been a head scratcher for me all season.  I assumed DPJ would have been outside with cooper and Moore protected a bit in the slot.

I didn’t watch a ton of college reps, but iirc he was pretty explosive and ran like a 4.3X.  I figured we’d use that down the field a lot more.

If we’re just gonna throw this short crap the need to find a dude with some size as Moore isn’t hard to bring down at the LOS.

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

How many pass catchers should we draft?

I’m thinking 2-3 at least.

We definitely need to overhaul the entire room. Outside of Cooper we have no consistent pass catching threat. Moore is ok but not great, and Njoku is way too inconsistent. After that it's a big pile of nobody.