Quarter Season Mock Offseason

WindyCity

Coaching

John Fox and his staff are fired.

HC: Jim Bob Cooter [Lions OC]

Young offensive minded HC that took over a broken offense and a broken QB in Detroit and turned them into really good unit and player, while losing one of the best WRs of all time. I look at the work that Cooter has done with Stafford and the fact that he is a play calling advantage on Sundays and I like what I have seen.

OC: Brian Callahan [Lions QB]

I think it is important to bring in another person who knows the offense intimately to speed up the install process. This way you have 2 people who have lived and breathed the offense that can work with Trubisky.

DC: Todd Bowles [Jets HC]

I love what the Rams did with hiring a young  offensive coach to build around their young QB and providing him with an experienced DC that can run that unit on his own. Bowles got screwed in NY, but he runs an aggressive 3-4 system that matches what the Bears want to be.

Starting Cap Space: 33 million

Releases/Not Re-signed

QB Mike Glennon [11.5 million]-Horrendous signing and player
OLB Pernell McPhee [7 million]-Cant have 7 million invested in a constantly injured player
WR Markus Wheaton [5 million]-Injured too much
S Quentin Demps [3.7 million]-Has not been good in limited action

CB Prince Amukamra
TE Zach Miller
NT John Jenkins
WR Josh Bellamy
WR Deonte Thompson

57.2 million

Re-signed

NT Eddie Goldman 

Old Money: 1 year 2 million
New Money: 4 years 42 million/26 guaranteed [Brandon Williams]
Total: 5 years 44 million/26 guaranteed

CB Kyle Fuller 3 years 16 million/9 guaranteed
WR Kendall Wright 2 years 8 million/3 guaranteed
LB Christian Jones  3 years 9 million/3 guaranteed
DE Mitch Unrien 2 years 4 million/1 guaranteed
P Pat O'Donnell 3 years 10 million/4 guaranteed
CB Sherrick McManis 2 years 3 million/750k guaranteed
QB Mark Sanchez 2 years 4.5 million/2 guaranteed
OLB Sam Acho 1 year 1.1 million

Free Agents

S Maurice Alexander [LA Rams] 4 years 30 million/14 guaranteed

Qunetin Demps has not really shown a lot outside of his "leadership" and the missed tackles have been frustrating from a veteran player. Alexander gives the Bears a true SS to pair with Jackson and a weapon that the new DC can use close to the line. Alexander is a 6'1" 225lbs cruise missile that would bring a level of physicality that the Bears have lacked. Alexander can be used all over the formation to intimidate WRs.

Adam+Humphries+Maurice+Alexander+Tampa+B

WR Paul Richardson [Seattle] 3 years 18 million/6 guaranteed

I do not see the Bears breaking to far from their free agent approach and spending huge money. They could spend huge money on Jarvis Landry or Allen Robinson coming off from an ACL, but I am not sure that the Bears are going to get the return on investment. Richardson has elite speed and has started to put it together for the Seahawks who do not have the cash to keep him around. The Bears do not have speed and they need multiple players that can create big plays with a well placed ball.

SeahawksCowboys201-780x506.jpg

WR Benny Fowler [Denver RFA] 3 years 10 million/3 guaranteed

The Broncos cannot afford to tag Fowler with a bigger tag which allows the Bears to grab Fowler who has the size that the WR core is lacking and also has been a quality special teamer for the Broncos. Fowler can step in on special teams and also offer depth in the WR core that can actually catch the ball.

Bennie+Fowler+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Denver

K Graham Gano [Carolina] 3 years 10.5 million/4 guaranteed

Barth has not been good and the Bears need to address the position with an actual kicker than can come in and be relied on to support the offense. The Bears need to get serous about winning and having a loser kicker will not get that done for the Bears. 

Graham_Gano_Panthers_Contract_Four_Years

Draft

1[10] WR Christian Kirk [Texas A&M] 5'11" 200lbs.

I have said a number of times I am a little scared of 1st round WRs, but I do not think that Pace and company have the same feelings about Kevin White that we do. In fact if you look at his time in New Orleans they were not scared to draft offensive play makers and they did so in the years following the signing of Drew Brees. If everything is about Mitch Trubisky's development than I cannot see Pace shying away from adding as many talented weapons as possible. What the Bears are missing is speed and ability to make plays in the open field. In New Orleans they always had multiple 4.3 [40] guys on the team. Kirk is a home run threat in the passing game. He can beat you deep on the outside and he can beat you in the slot. If he gets the ball in the open field he is a threat to turn it into a huge play. With Trubisky throwing him the ball he should have chances to create big plays. Reminds me a lot of Brandon Cooks.

6_3855265.jpg

2[42] OLB Marcell Frazier [Missouri] 6'5" 260lbs.

OLB may not need a day 1 starter, but with the injuries to McPhee and the age of Young they need a high upside young player to develop into their replacement. Missouri has produced a ton of pass rushers in the last couple of years and Frazier is no different. Frazier has the size and length that the Bears look for and he has the physical build to develop into the long term starter across from Floyd. Last season he had 9.5 sacks and although he is off to a slower start this season the pass rush potential is there. The Bears have a year to get him ready while Willie Young plays out his contract.

Marcell+Frazier+South+Carolina+v+Missour

4. OT Zach Crabtree [Oklahoma St] 6'6" 315lbs.

The Saints have always invested mid round picks on OL and have always been constantly developing players at the position. They have had huge success stories like Strief [7th], Bushrod [4th], Evans [4th], Nicks [5th], Armstead [3rd]. This has always left them with options along the OL. The Bears OT depth is pretty thin and while it is better I would like to see them add a young player that has some developmental potential rather than journeymen back ups. Crabtree has played LT and RT and has the size to play at both spots in the NFL. He plays in a high volume passing offense and has solid technique and an ability to handle the bull rush.  Crabtree can sit behind Massie and Leno for a year before competing at RT with Massie. Reps given to Crabtree will not be thrown away like they are with Sowell.

XKABILSAPABJRKU.20151015145704.jpg

4. OLB Davin Bellamy [Georgia] 6'5" 245lbs.

Pace has shown in the past that he will invest multiple picks or FAs in a spot to fix it and I can see him doing it at OLB. Instead of buying big on one player adding a couple young players and seeing what you can get. Bellamy, physically is more in the mold of Leonard Floyd and he to has really nice athletic tools. Bellamy has length and speed, but he needs to add strength and refine some of his pass rush moves. He has capped out at 5 sacks, but the Bears have shown that they value physical skills over production most of the time. Bellamy should be able to step in on special teams right away and help the Bears as well.

12170313.jpeg

5. C/OG Bradley Bozeman [Alabama] 6'5" 323lbs.

The Bears need to improve their depth at C as I am at the point where I do not think that Grasu is an NFL C and they need to have options to replace Sitton who is entering into the last season of his contract in 2018 and has decline physically. Bozeman gives them another young option at both spots. Where with Grasu he never could seem to get strong enough for the NFL level, Bozeman is a big man and a bull at the C position. Bozeman has the size and power to play OG and can compete with Morgan to be the long term replacement for Sitton, while providing depth at C. The key to the New Orleans model has been to spend multiple picks on the OL and hope that a couple work out ro be starters.

BradleyBozeman.jpg

6. CB Deion Harris [North Dakota] 6'3" 190lbs.

A big outside CB that had 6 interceptions last season. He is making a big jump, but he has physical tools to develop and work with and he provides outside ability that Callahan and Leblanc do not have. The Bears CBs have been good and I think that Fuller and Cooper should be given more time as their physicality has been a huge upside to the defense.

deionharris.jpg

7. NT Nifea Lealao [Vanderbilt] 6'5" 320lbs.

John Jenkins is the worst DLmen on the team, which shows that the depth has drastically improved over the last couple of years, but I think the Bears could use to find and develop a true backup NT. Lealao is a huge human being that is very solid against the run, which is all he needs to be for the Bears. He gives them some upside at the position and some competition behind Goldman.

Lealao100215.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Mazziel
WR: Kirk, Richardson, Meredith, Wright, Fowler, Gentry
TE: Sims, Shaheen, Brown
LT: Leno
LG: Long, Kush
C: Whithair, Bozeman
RG: Sitton, Morgan
RT: Massie, Crabtree

RE: Bullard/Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Lealao
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Bellamy
ILB: Freeman, Jones
ILB: Trevathan, Kwaitowski
OLB: Young, Frazier, Acho
CB: Cooper, Fuller, Callahan, Leblanc, Harris, McManis
SS: Alexander Amos, Bush
FS: Jackson, Hall

11 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

This would be the definition of underwhelming/mediocre.... With the pressing needs this team has for upper level/elite talent combined with the large amount of cap space and we hang our hats on Mo Alexander and Paul Richardson? Yikes

They do not spend elite money. After 3 years it might be time to accept that.

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think a new coaching staff might change that...I agree we still might not go for the best of the best but I expect far more roster turn over and would have us signing 6-8 FAs.

Pace has not spent big for any one player, and as a result has ended up with lots of mid level guys with potential, this is true.

Consider, however, that he has been in the first couple years of a rebuild, so keeping the books tidy and taking shots at players who might be better than they have been makes sense. If Trubisky is the real deal, it wouldn't surprise me if his strategy changes. You may see less hole patching and more stars being brought in if he thinks he has a team that can win. 

I would love it if we have a mostly decent young team with contracts in place that then starts bringing in some heavy hitters to improve the playoff shot. May this please happen for 2018?

28 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Pace has not spent big for any one player, and as a result has ended up with lots of mid level guys with potential, this is true.

Consider, however, that he has been in the first couple years of a rebuild, so keeping the books tidy and taking shots at players who might be better than they have been makes sense. If Trubisky is the real deal, it wouldn't surprise me if his strategy changes. You may see less hole patching and more stars being brought in if he thinks he has a team that can win. 

I would love it if we have a mostly decent young team with contracts in place that then starts bringing in some heavy hitters to improve the playoff shot. May this please happen for 2018?

I agree, also, keep in mind that even if they keep Pace around next year (which i'm still not convinced is guaranteed, though probable), he may feel some pressure to make some immediate changes under the new coaching staff and ensure his job.  He may go for a big splash free agent similar to when we signed Julius Peppers to help push the defense over the top while the offense grows into itself.  Not sure who would be that kind of player though.

I think Pace cleans house at the end of the season (unless Trubisky is lights-out with Loggains), and then he gets to hire his second head coach and have 2 seasons to prove that they are moving in the right direction. If the team performs, he gets extended. If the team flops, he's fired and we reboot. Again.

I do no think their is any offensive player that I would break the bank for in free agency. The only guy I would have thought about is Allen Robinson but the knee makes me take a step back.

Perhaps in the secondary where the CB crew looks pretty strong. Outside of that the safeties and OLBs do not scream out to me to spend money.

It would take a complete Trubisky failure and the team going like 2-14 to get Pace fired, I just can't see it. I too think he gets until 2020 or so.  Also on average I think he's done well, but again it all comes down to the QB.

I agree on the WR options in FA: middling, but at least you can add some #2 or 3 types, and go WR with second pick.  FA does have some decent DB (Trumaine Johnson should be available right?) and OL depth.  

Mostly I like your plan, although I think I would rather see OT, OLB or DB addressed in frist round, and then WR once or twice in the following rounds.  

Also,  it seems like a pretty good chance that the Bears will be a in postion to trade back their pick for someone wanting a QB, so good chance of getting more swings. 

16 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Also,  it seems like a pretty good chance that the Bears will be a in postion to trade back their pick for someone wanting a QB, so good chance of getting more swings. 

Love this point - it was something I was thinking at draft time this year when everyone was talking about next year's class.  This could be the way that Pace wins the Trubisky trade long term.  Assuming a top ten pick this is a very possible scenario for QB.  

While I would prefer a bit more aggressive free agency I can certainly agree Pace has been keen on finding bargains and trying short deals as tests for longer deals. Other than youth I don't think Fowler is much of an upgrade over Thompson at WR, and he definitely isn't near a track star like you mentioned Pace would be after. I think the re-signings are looking good, though Fuller and Wright might be a little light, and we really will have to see what Amukamara will offer now that he finally will play.

I have never heard of the last two picks so I have no opinions on them, but like the rest (seeing the reactions of drafting another WR high would crack me up). One thing I would really like to see is another QB drafted later. Just a flier on someone with impressive physical tools that resembles Mitch or someone who looks like they could potentially be a good system player. At worse you miss on a late pick, at best you get a trade option for later. Likely to get a decent reserve developed while Sanchez is the number 2.

On 10/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, WindyCity said:

Two things I think you're having a hard time understanding... One, just because he hasn't succeeded doesn't mean he hasn't attempted and been in on multiple high level FA's (Norman/Jenkins/Gilmore/Wagner) to name a few. Two, which correlates with Point one, this franchise had no light at the end of the tunnel. With a new HC and a young franchise QB, that drastically changes the appeal to come here for incoming FA's. Takes two to tango. 

2 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Two things I think you're having a hard time understanding... One, just because he hasn't succeeded doesn't mean he hasn't attempted and been in on multiple high level FA's (Norman/Jenkins/Gilmore/Wagner) to name a few. Two, which correlates with Point one, this franchise had no light at the end of the tunnel. With a new HC and a young franchise QB, that drastically changes the appeal to come here for incoming FA's. Takes two to tango. 

I think he has pursued big free agents. But they don't pull the trigger at the big dollar values.

I don't think they get into bidding wars on guys. I which means they are not really willing to spend big money.

They have sat at the high rollers table and checked folded.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am watching some of St. Brown from Notre Dame and I cannot take my eyes off of Quentin Nelson destroying human life in front of him.

I am not sure how I feel about OG in the 1st, but talk about a dominant line.

I wouldn't complain at all. He is a monster. We need several spots but that is a pick that helps Trubisky, Howard, and Cohen for the next 10 years.

Archived