• Lakers in 5
    • Lakers in 6
    • Lakers in 7
    • Miami in 4
    • Miami in 5
    • Miami in 6
    • Miami in 7

In the playoffs. 

Miami: 112.2 ppg (+4.5) , 43.1 rpg (+1.2), 25.1 apg, 13.5 topg, 13.3 3's per game (35.7%), 27.6 fta per game, 82.1 ft %, 113.4 team offensive rating, 108.9 team defensive rating 

Los Angeles: 113.9 ppg (+7.4), 43.7 rpg (+6.5), 25.9 apg, 15.9 topg, 11.3 3's per game (35.5%), 25.8 fta per game, 74.7 ft %, 115.6 team offensive rating, 107.8 team defensive rating 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

This series kind of reminds me of the 2004 Finals when the Lakers came up against the Pistons. 

100%. Haven't seen a team this lacking in stars reach this stage since those Pistons. Could argue those 2013-14 Spurs too, as the starpower was all in the form of guys in their twilight (big 3) and they won through the same kind of team basketball, anybody can kill you on a given night, that the Heat have been winning with. Spurs had the championship pedigree though, and Pop, and weren't much of underdogs. So I think it is fair to say we haven't seen a team in the Finals like this since the Pistons. Major underdogs, no top 10 players, no 25+ PPG scorer to always turn to in crunch time, just a well built team that plays together as well as you can, and they're running into the league's best duo: Shaq/Kobe... err I mean Lebron/AD, surrounded by aging vets who were once stars but have now settled into new roles such as Malone, Payton.... err Howard, Rondo. 

Hyped for this series. I'm picking, completely against my brain,... HEAT IN 7. HERRO4MVP

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

100%. Haven't seen a team this lacking in stars reach this stage since those Pistons. Could argue those 2013-14 Spurs too, as the starpower was all in the form of guys in their twilight (big 3) and they won through the same kind of team basketball, anybody can kill you on a given night, that the Heat have been winning with. Spurs had the championship pedigree though, and Pop, and weren't much of underdogs. So I think it is fair to say we haven't seen a team in the Finals like this since the Pistons. Major underdogs, no top 10 players, no 25+ PPG scorer to always turn to in crunch time, just a well built team that plays together as well as you can, and they're running into the league's best duo: Shaq/Kobe... err I mean Lebron/AD, surrounded by aging vets who were once stars but have now settled into new roles such as Malone, Payton.... err Howard, Rondo. 

Hyped for this series. I'm picking, completely against my brain,... HEAT IN 7. HERRO4MVP

Agreed. As I said earlier if the Heat win they'd be just the third team in the last 30 years to win a title without a former MVP on their roster and also only the 2nd team in the last 30 years to win a title without a top 5 pick on their roster. I'd also be willing to bet that their combined 4 All-NBA seasons and 8 All-Star appearances is one of, if not the, lowest combined totals we've seen from a Finals team in NBA history. One of the least individually accomplished teams to make it to the Finals in NBA history for sure, which speaks volumes to Spo's job this year as well as their team chemistry. 

I'm really excited to see how the series plays out. As Seminoles said this is really a case of an extremely well balanced team vs a very top heavy team. The Heat have 6 players averaging 10+ ppg in the playoffs and those 6 guys have combined for a total of 31 20+ point games. While the Lakers only have 3 players averaging 10+ ppg in the playoffs and those 3 guys have combined for a total of 27 20+ point games. 

Interested to see how the Heat handle the Lakers size inside, how the Lakers handle the Heat's zone, and if the Heat are able to slow down LeBron and/or AD at all. One other thing to note is that the Heat held Giannis to 21.8 ppg in their series, which was his lowest average in a playoff series in his career. 

@NYRaider

I’m a Warrior Fan but the 2003-2004 Pistons are my favorite team of all time behind the 2014-2015 Warriors. Such a team effort. Definition of team, and a ton of fun. I remember so many passes before a shot... loved that starting 5... Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton (fav), and Chauncey Billups. Savage crew. 

Pistons over Lakers in 2004 is one of my most favorite sports memories of all time. Along with 2015 Warriors winning the title, and 2007 Giants knocking off the 2007 18-0 Patriots. 

2015 Warriors my favorite though, fun as can be, perhaps the funnest of all time, and they have to be the best homegrown team in history. Wasn’t a fan of the KD move. Didn’t feel natural. Stopped watching most games after that. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

@NYRaider

I’m a Warrior Fan but the 2003-2004 Pistons are my favorite team of all time behind the 2014-2015 Warriors. Such a team effort. Definition of team, and a ton of fun. I remember so many passes before a shot... loved that starting 5... Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton (fav), and Chauncey Billups. Savage crew. 

It's pretty crazy when you compare the Heat to that Pistons team. Obviously no comparison is perfect but it's pretty damn close. 

Dragic = Billups - Both guys are crafty veteran PG's that can score the ball. 

Butler = Hamilton - Veteran wing scorers that are All-Star level but not elite players. 

Robinson = Prince - Young wing players with promise. 

Crowder = Wallace - Mid-season additions who are gritty, veteran defensive minded power forwards. 

Bam = Wallace - Undersized centers that are forces on the glass and on defense. 

Edited by NYRaider

The Heat making it this far just show how much more fun the NBA is when there's no stupidly broken superteams like the KD Warriors. In seasons where there's a team like that it's practically impossible to imagine a team like this, led by Jimmy Butler who is obviously great but he's no superstar, could win a title. But here they are with it right in front of them, the Heat do matchup well with the Lakers too, so even though I think the Lakers win I definitely think there's a chance here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

The Heat making it this far just show how much more fun the NBA is when there's no stupidly broken superteams like the KD Warriors. In seasons where there's a team like that it's practically impossible to imagine a team like this, led by Jimmy Butler who is obviously great but he's no superstar, could win a title. But here they are with it right in front of them, the Heat do matchup well with the Lakers too, so even though I think the Lakers win I definitely think there's a chance here. 

Luckily we get KD back on a stacked team next season and Curry/Klay are back for Golden State, lol. 

Butler isn't a "superstar" but he's definitely one of the best players in the league. Coming into the season Sports Illustrated ranked him #9 and Bleacher Report ranked him #11 on their top 100 players lists. He has been an All-Star in 5 of the last 6 seasons and made an All-NBA team in 3 of the last 4 seasons as well. 

I really wouldn't be surprised by any result. I wouldn't be shocked if LA dominated. Tatum isn't close to LeBron, Davis is unlike anything they have faced this postseason, and they have the scrappy role players to chip in enough. I wouldn't be surprised if Miami dominated. They are deeper, they are more resilient and on paper they match up with LA super well. I'm splitting the difference and going LA in 7.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And again this reminds me of the 2004 NBA finals matchup between the Lakers and Pistons. 

The 2004 Lakers were led by two superstars (Kobe + Shaq) but lacked balance or a consistent 3rd scorer. 

The 2020 Lakers are led by two superstars (LeBron + AD) but lack balance or a consistent 3rd scorer. 

The 2004 Pistons didn't have a superstar but had a very balanced team led by a veteran wing scorer, crafty veteran lead guard, and monster defensive center. (Hamilton, Billups, Wallace)

The 2020 Heat don't have a superstar but have a very balanced team led by a veteran wing scorer, crafty veteran lead guard, and monster defensive center. (Butler, Dragic, Bam)

These Lakers do not resemble the 2004 Lakers at all. That team was the preseason superteam favorite with stars galore and imploded internally. Kobe lost them that series with his ego. This Laker team along with Miami is one of the two closest teams in the bubble, has a group that completely understands and accepts the hierarchy of the offense and is far more mentally tough. Also, Miami is far more similar to the 2014 Spurs.

Edited by Bullet Club