Star Wars Battlefront II

JBURGE

There's no excuse for this.  Other games have loot box systems and they only feature cosmetic items that have absolutely NO BARRING on game play whatsoever.  Look at Overwatch, for example.  That game is on both console and PC.  The loot boxes in that game are really easy to acquire by just playing and only include skins, sprays, emotes, etc.  Having loot boxes that include things that impact game play is nonsense.

The fact is, games don't need to do this and this isn't where the industry is going.  People are complaining about it and they should be.  But lets take it a step further.... people should not buy the game.  I was actually going to buy this, but now I am not.  I saw someone mention earlier that the perks in these loot crates aren't that big of a deal, but that doesn't matter.  It's the principal.  

@FourThreeMafia pretty much hit the nail on the head.  EA is a garbage company.

EDIT:  For the record, with Madden and Ultimate Team - I'm fine with that because that's a separate game mode.  If they want to make that game mode 'pay to win', that's fine.  I can still play online or offline franchise or play in ranked matches vs a random opponent with none of that stuff impacting me.  The issue with Battlefront (from what I understand) is that these loot crates are going to be in the core game mode(s).

This is going to be the new normal. It sucks, but this is the progression we are going to see.

This is going to sell a crapload of copies, and  make EA and Dice a crapload of money. Anthem, from everything I've heard, is going to be worse than most mobile games in terms of beating money out of you with a stick.

This is the direction video games are going, nobody should buy this, it sets the worst possible example to the industry that this is okay.

4 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

Companies are creating far better, far larger games than battlefront without microtransactions. Just look at Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3. They charge good sums for DLC, but produce fantastic content. It doesn't have to be that way. 

And those games are the result of balooning budgets and don't make half the return as these games do.

Games as a service is the future, story driven, single player AAA games are on the way out.

The unlocking of heroes in addition to the loot boxes is very worrisome and I certainly won't be getting this anytime soon. I didn't have a major issue with the loot boxes although I agree it's not a good trend but the fact that they've added ANOTHER way to get people to pay is just ridiculous. It seems like everything they have in the game was added to get more money from the customers who bought it. 

It's a real shame Overwatch is not a game you guys can get into because that's literally a console game done right.  Loot boxes are awarded every time you level up (not hard to level at all) and they only contain skins, sprays, emotes, etc.  Also, it is made by Blizzard (primarily a PC company), but when the PC gets updates, patches or a new season starts - console gets it on the same day.  

New characters are added to the game, new maps are added to the game, new game modes are added to the game... and all of it is 100% free for console owners, just like it's free for people who play on PC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, showtime said:

It's a real shame Overwatch is not a game you guys can get into because that's literally a console game done right.  Loot boxes are awarded every time you level up (not hard to level at all) and they only contain skins, sprays, emotes, etc.  Also, it is made by Blizzard (primarily a PC company), but when the PC gets updates, patches or a new season starts - console gets it on the same day.  

New characters are added to the game, new maps are added to the game, new game modes are added to the game... and all of it is 100% free for console owners, just like it's free for people who play on PC.

Overwatch is awesome. Blizzard has always been pretty good about this kind of stuff sans Diablo 3s auction house (What a terrible idea) CD Projekt Red and Naughty Dog are also two developers that don't pull these kind of stunts on gamers. EA & Activision are terrible. 

20 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And those games are the result of balooning budgets and don't make half the return as these games do.

Games as a service is the future, story driven, single player AAA games are on the way out.

Only if people accept it. I have no idea why they would considering the garbage it leads to. 

Overwatch is great. The devs work with the community to improve the game. It takes time and effort, but they put in plenty of work. 

13 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

EA is trying to justify the micro-transactions on reddit.

Their comment trying to justify it is nearing 400k downvotes xD

That post is the single highest down voted post in the history of Reddit.  I'm not going to link another forum here, and you guys shouldn't either (thanks for not doing that), but I will quote the post so that everyone here can see it since it was an official post from EA's Community Team.

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes. 

As for cost, we selected initial values based upon data from the Open Beta and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we're looking at average per-player credit earn rates on a daily basis, and we'll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have challenges that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.  Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

The outcry by the community is at an all-time high level and that is great.  EA is hearing the complaints.  The best thing the community can do right now is to not buy the game. This loot crate system and how things are locked behind pay walls, even though the consumer is paying $60 for the game, is nonsense.  This is a system that EA can abolish and the consumers can try to force their hand by not purchasing the game.

Realistically, a ton of people will still buy Battlefront II; however, I have a feeling there are a large number of people who were going to buy and have decided not to.  Is that number going to be high enough for EA to feel it in their pockets?  That remains to be seen.

• Like 1

^The part above I will post here, is what I wrote.  For some reason that got included into the Reddit quote.

The outcry by the community is at an all-time high level and that is great.  EA is hearing the complaints.  The best thing the community can do right now is to not buy the game. This loot crate system and how things are locked behind pay walls, even though the consumer is paying $60 for the game, is nonsense.  This is a system that EA can abolish and the consumers can try to force their hand by not purchasing the game.

Realistically, a ton of people will still buy Battlefront II; however, I have a feeling there are a large number of people who were going to buy and have decided not to.  Is that number going to be high enough for EA to feel it in their pockets?  That remains to be seen.

Don't care about the game, but am really enjoying the shizstorm.

I'm baffled at how greedy and incompetent some of these companies are. There is a perfectly fine way of doing loot crates, look at the model set by Valve. And Valve makes all their games free or really cheap too. Why would you make games pay to win when one of the most popular and I assume (safe assumption IMO) profitable games has been doing crates the right way for years?

Really the only requirement for success in this model is to create a quality game that people will want to replay a lot. I guess they know their games can't deliver that so they just go for a quick cash grab.

People just need to stop supporting this company. I'd never consider buying any of their games when they come out, sometimes I get them when they're $5, but now I might just not get any of their games ever. Vote with your money, it's the only thing that matters.

Edited by Mossburg

Just now, showtime said:

^The part above I will post here, is what I wrote.  For some reason that got included into the Reddit quote.

This is the major thing. It still has the Star Wars name in front of the game which is going to make a ton of diehard fans buy the game day 1, regardless of how they feel about EA or microtransactions. And it's very similar to the Madden Madness... a ton of people who say "oh screw this, ill never buy another EA product"... will still continue to purchase their games. 

^Casual gamers are a silent majority. We're the loud minority. That's why EA thrives. We probably casually buy products (headphones, milk, furniture?) from companies some people who are into those things boycott and we don't know, and probably don't care about. If EA needed to satisfy the hardcores they'd be either a completely different company or bankrupt long ago. For PR reasons they still do their little thing to convince us they care, or to "educate" us about why they're doing the amazing thing they're doing, but at the end it's ok if we still rage. At the very least the hardcores need to boycott so their stock price rises at a smaller rate lol

3 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^Casual gamers are a silent majority. We're the loud minority. That's why EA thrives. We probably casually buy products (headphones, milk, furniture?) from companies some people who are into those things boycott and we don't know, and probably don't care about. If EA needed to satisfy the hardcores they'd be either a completely different company or bankrupt long ago. For PR reasons they still do their little thing to convince us they care, or to "educate" us about why they're doing the amazing thing they're doing, but at the end it's ok if we still rage. At the very least the hardcores need to boycott so their stock price rises at a smaller rate lol

Good point.  I'm sure there are vegans right now that are on some internet forum who have a massive boycott against the type of milk I purchased two days ago.  Never thought of it like that.

=) just posted that because it's funny to me, but overall your point is correct.