Building Blocks for the Future

Just Want A Title

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This pains me. I try to see the positive in a situation, which is why I understood the Hockenson pick. I just... man. To be a good team, you MUST hit on your 1st and 2nd round picks. Period. Not only have we often failed to hit on those 2nd round picks, a *hit* on a 1st round TE is a lesser hit than a hit at many other positions, especially in the top 10.

I want Hock to succeed, and I'll never hold his draft position against him, but we need to get out of the "early 1st round TE" business. That business is not booming.

I agree with you. As a fan I hate some of the Lions draft choices. Pettigrew, Ebron, TJ picks could all have been used on high impact players that have more influence in the game.

That said his draft position means nothing to me now. I want him to succeed and at this point think he will become a player fans value. He’s showing significant improvement in his play. Frankly I wouldn’t have noticed much but I rewatched a few games focusing entirely on him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree with you. As a fan I hate some of the Lions draft choices. Pettigrew, Ebron, TJ picks could all have been used on high impact players that have more influence in the game.

That said his draft position means nothing to me now. I want him to succeed and at this point think he will become a player fans value. He’s showing significant improvement in his play. Frankly I wouldn’t have noticed much but I rewatched a few games focusing entirely on him.

I agree his draft status doesn't matter for how I judge him now.  It will always be in the back of my mind as far as expectations go but either way, I too want him to succeed but also don't see him being here that long unless he really steps up per our other discussions on the previous page.  I just think financially it hurts drafting TEs this high because of the implications on second contracts and that given there are about 5 TEs in the history of the league worth being paid like a top tier WR as far as impact, it is unlikely TJ becomes one of those.  

29 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

You made other very good points in this post, so me omitting them from this quote isn't disregarding them. I just wanted to make a comment about this: him signing a 4 year deal for less than $10M per year to remain with a QB and team that he likes might be a better situation - and more money overall - than insisting on playing for that last year at $10M and signing a potentially lesser contract with another team in FA.

I understand the logic here, it just doesnt happen though.  Careers are so short in the NFL, people want to get paid.  There are exceptions as always, but not enough to think it is a real possibility.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This pains me. I try to see the positive in a situation, which is why I understood the Hockenson pick. I just... man. To be a good team, you MUST hit on your 1st and 2nd round picks. Period. Not only have we often failed to hit on those 2nd round picks, a *hit* on a 1st round TE is a lesser hit than a hit at many other positions, especially in the top 10.

I want Hock to succeed, and I'll never hold his draft position against him, but we need to get out of the "early 1st round TE" business. That business is not booming.

Yeah, I'll never hold it against Hock and want Hock to be the next Gronk (can that happen?), but I will hold it against BQ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

They can pick up the option, try to negotiate an extension at market value and if he doesn’t sign they can cut him.

The 5th year becomes guaranteed if the player is injured in the 4th year. Picking up the option with the intention of cutting if no deal is worked out is a gamble if the player gets injured. 

• Like 1