Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

thanks. I really can't wait for this season to come. Boston may not be ready to win the title, but the core of players are really so young and full of potential IMO. Boston has 2 prime ALLSTARS in Kyrie and Hayward, with potentially 2 players with very high ceilings Brown and Tatum. By 2020 I see 4 ALLSTARS B|

Most excited I've been for a team since 2008

4 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

PG:  Kyrie / Smart / Rozier / Larkin

SG:  Brown / Smart / Rozier / Nader

SF:  Hayward / Tatum / Semi / Nader

PF:  Horford / Morris / Tatum / Yabusele / 

C:   Baynes / Horford / Theis

Still would prefer another big who could play center over Larkin.   Celtics rumored talking to Bogut and Thomas Robinson

Davis, Hawes, Wright, and Speights are some possible "plug your nose and deal with it" trade options.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Boston play a spread it out offense of

PG - Kyrie

SG - Brown

SF - Hayward

PF - Tatum/Morris

C - Horford 

All shooters, with penetrators/slashers and creators. Might not be a great rebounding team, but imagine trying to keep Kyrie out of the lane with this lineup. 

37 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I hope by mid season we will see that lineup closing out games.

Also excited to see something like that with Smart at  PG because I think defensively that could be lights out with everyone between 6'3-6'10 and able to switch on everything.

Agree. Smart can be a solid rotation player and also run the point as you said which could also free up Kyrie as a scorer at times. Every team needs a solid lock up defender who is willing to do the "little things" that helps a team win games. 

Also playing Smart at PG allows him to create more and take less stand around perimeters jump shots.

10 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Morris is more than likely going to be better than Tatum and Brown this year.

I definitely can see Tatum but Brown should be fighting for that spot by the end of the year. Brown should learn a lot this season and by January/Feb starting show some significant signs of life. He is only 20 so I can't expect too much but once his grown up muscle comes out, watch out.

My one knock on Brad Stevens is his is very much a "win now mode" coach. Which basically means he will probably start a lineup of KI and Smart at guards Hayward and Morris at forwards and Al at center. But I wish he would let the talented youngsters Brown and Tatum start. There may some growing pains and perhaps more losses short term, but come playoffs those players will be more confident and experienced. In my opinion Boston will only go as far as the development Brown and Tatum. Getting them ready may be like taking one step back to take 2 steps forward. But since Boston "probably" can't keep with GS yet, They should nourish the youngsters as much as possible.

1 hour ago, resilient part 2 said:

My one knock on Brad Stevens is his is very much a "win now mode" coach. Which basically means he will probably start a lineup of KI and Smart at guards Hayward and Morris at forwards and Al at center. But I wish he would let the talented youngsters Brown and Tatum start. There may some growing pains and perhaps more losses short term, but come playoffs those players will be more confident and experienced. In my opinion Boston will only go as far as the development Brown and Tatum. Getting them ready may be like taking one step back to take 2 steps forward. But since Boston "probably" can't keep with GS yet, They should nourish the youngsters as much as possible.

You want Brad Stevens to start Tatum and Brown over Hayward and Morris? You don't pay Hayward that kind of money to have either rookie who will 95% never be as good as him start. Morris I can understand but Hayward?

6 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I think this is possible; but I doubt Morris starts.  I think it's good strategy to see long term.   Smart:Kyrie Bradley/Smart:IT  and Amir:Horford Baynes:Horford.  You gotta get your stars through the regular season without grinding them to a pulp ala Thibs Bulls.  Amir was definitely not close to the fifth best player on the C's last year but he was necessary to just absorb the grind of guarding centers for Horford.  

Also as far as just hierarchy control goes, I think Smart might be given a bit of a nod there over Jaylen too.

My hope is that Smart functions more of a real PG this year and not forced to just play out of character as an off the ball as a shooter/defender all year.

I worry that the past couple years have stunted Smart's growth.  He's so much better as a ball handler.  He needs to slim down so he's not at Lebron weight because he expects to guard SFs all season.

Agree with the bold 100%, but don't mind Smart being at "Lebron weight" because the NBA plays so much pick and roll/ switch etc. that it is harder to take advantage of Smart because he is so strong.

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Did anyone see IT's presser?

There was one bit where he compared himself to Lebron and Durant.  "Even guys like us get traded" or some ridiculous nonsense.

Ego the size of jupiter.

Add in the "back up the brink truck" comments multiple times a year as things he just couldn't help saying but probably shouldn't.

4 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Did anyone see IT's presser?

There was one bit where he compared himself to Lebron and Durant.  "Even guys like us get traded" or some ridiculous nonsense.

Ego the size of jupiter.

I watched it a couple of days ago but I thought that comment was more 'unless you are KD or Lebron you are tradeable'?