Boston Celtics Thread

Deadpulse

Very happy and a bit surprised that R Williams played ahead of Kanter (not a knock on Kanter)..his simple pick and roll and dunk offense is all I want him to do...When a defender over plays Boston's penetrators, a simple pass. Now the defenders hesitates. Everyone has options..

*Brad Stevens said after the game exactly what I have been saying all year.. "Boston needs to be locked and dialed in" 

When they are. my quote - "they can beat anyone"

Daniel Theis has improved every year and has deserved his starting and playing time and that should not change. But having said that I would love to see Robert William starting, play with this unit for at least 30 minutes just to see what he can do in that role. I think he would have a real impressive Clint Capella like stats.

If Hayward ends up missing some games, I am wondering who should start. I know M Smart can start, but I rather hide a Role player with the starters and have at least one quality player off the bench.. 

I hate getting even smaller and start Wannamaker. So for me it has to be Semi.. He did a good job vs Giannis 2 years ago in the playoffs, yet didn't even see the floor tonight.. but he can play D... Just needs to hit a couple of shots to stop teams from doubling off of him..

54 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

If Hayward ends up missing some games, I am wondering who should start. I know M Smart can start, but I rather hide a Role player with the starters and have at least one quality player off the bench.. 

I hate getting even smaller and start Wannamaker. So for me it has to be Semi.. He did a good job vs Giannis 2 years ago in the playoffs, yet didn't even see the floor tonight.. but he can play D... Just needs to hit a couple of shots to stop teams from doubling off of him..

Considering the playing time he got tonight, its possible they could give Rob Williams a start while they are a game up. Play him at the five, Theis at 4, Tatum at 3, Brown at 2, and Kemba at point. Could be a viable counter to Embiid down low. 

39 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Considering the playing time he got tonight, its possible they could give Rob Williams a start while they are a game up. Play him at the five, Theis at 4, Tatum at 3, Brown at 2, and Kemba at point. Could be a viable counter to Embiid down low. 

Certainly a good possibility  That I did not consider , I just never seen Brad Stevens use a big line up ike that and the spacing might be pretty tight.. But I expect the rebounding to be dramatically improved with that lineup for sure

Edited by resilient part 2

I would just expect Smart to start and stagger minutes from there, especially if they're going to play Horford and Embiid together. Horford struggling with Tatum/Brown/Hayward consistently. 

I expect the Embiid doubles to continue with Theis as the primary defender there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tough question, but needs to be asked.. Everyone likes/loves Gordon Hayward. especially after what he went through. As a basketball player everyone wishes him the best.. He is close to, but not quite what he used to be. His role from Utah to Boston has changed. Before his latest injury he basically did a lot of "glue" work, in shooting creating, passing etc.. and though he sometimes was the 3rd and 4th option, he never complained. It would be really nice for him and Stevens to win the title together. A perfect feel good story..

But my question is, how much better, if at all. does GH make Boston?? Sure GH being out forces Smart to start and have on less guy off the bench. So that hurts. But I also know that having so many ball needy players, that need a certain amount of touches to get going. is harder, when there are 4, or 5 (Smart) to get them all in rhythm.

Like Boston last year. 

Kemba and Brown benefit the most without GH IMO. I really want Boston to win and have GH make a Big contribution before this is all said and done.

Just wondering how much better, or not we are with GH.

Any thoughts?

I think the beauty of the Celtics is that they're such a strong unit and if one goes down, it's not the end of the world. Again, it ain't like one guy went off today. Tatum/Kemba/Brown are picking up the slack just fine. In the past, if one of them were out, Hayward picked up the slack as well. The chemistry on the team is great. Doesn't allow for "superstar" play, imo. GH should not be maxed again but he is an integral part of the team. 

GH is the safety net for the Celtics. When guys arent playmaking, he penetrates and makes the passes. When we are struggling on the boards he crashes and cleans. When our shooters are slumping he takes the shots. On a game by game basis it is hard to say how he affects games or improves the C's. However, he makes the Celtics nearly unstoppable because he fills in any hole that pops up and makes them impossible to game plan for. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

GH is the safety net for the Celtics. When guys arent playmaking, he penetrates and makes the passes. When we are struggling on the boards he crashes and cleans. When our shooters are slumping he takes the shots. On a game by game basis it is hard to say how he affects games or improves the C's. However, he makes the Celtics nearly unstoppable because he fills in any hole that pops up and makes them impossible to game plan for. 

which is why I used the term Glue, but yes your are right... and it takes an incredible good character to do that without complaining