Landon Collins expected to have suffered a season ending achillies tear

turtle28

Definitely sucks. First and foremost because it’s a really painful injury and a long, arduous rehab for a guy who’s a good dude. 

It also sucks for the franchise, because though he’s struggled early this season in a lot of respects, the best version of this defense over the next 3-4 years probably includes Collins at SS. Perhaps they would kick him down to the nickel/dime LB role in passing situations — which apparently they were doing some of today — but he is a guy who can make plays and cause some impact with his skillset. This injury will set the whole defense back a bit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Definitely sucks. First and foremost because it’s a really painful injury and a long, arduous rehab for a guy who’s a good dude. 

It also sucks for the franchise, because though he’s struggled early this season in a lot of respects, the best version of this defense over the next 3-4 years probably includes Collins at SS. Perhaps they would kick him down to the nickel/dime LB role in passing situations — which apparently they were doing some of today — but he is a guy who can make plays and cause some impact with his skillset. This injury will set the whole defense back a bit. 

Yep.  Really tough recovery.  Strong chance he won't be ready by next season.  I also agree about his play.  Not good this year, but a historically great SS and I assumed they would get him straightened and impactful eventually.  Hope he heals well.

I for one am not for bringing in an eric reid.  I like everett/curl/reaves/apke as options.  Wild thought.  Everett has looked very competent.  And while this would likely be a failed experiment, being that Apke struggles with angles at FS, I wonder if maybe we should try him out at SS before relegating him to a special teams only player.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

I think moving him to OLB could help fix the angles he takes that causes missed tackles.  By and large, this signing has been a bust though.  I am not sure that Collins would be able to make the switch, in addition to rehabbing a torn Achilles.  Either one would be tough, adding both is asking for the impossible, at least in my opinion.  

The torn Achilles also presents a problem for Collins as it pertains to safety.  We all know his coverage was never the best, but it is possible a torn Achilles makes him even worse in coverage by losing some athleticism.  I am honestly not sure that I see Collins having a big role with the club next year........take that however you will.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think moving him to OLB could help fix the angles he takes that causes missed tackles.  By and large, this signing has been a bust though.  I am not sure that Collins would be able to make the switch, in addition to rehabbing a torn Achilles.  Either one would be tough, adding both is asking for the impossible, at least in my opinion.  

The torn Achilles also presents a problem for Collins as it pertains to safety.  We all know his coverage was never the best, but it is possible a torn Achilles makes him even worse in coverage by losing some athleticism.  I am honestly not sure that I see Collins having a big role with the club next year........take that however you will.  

If you had to wager or Collins or Reuben Foster being a starter on our defense next year - forget contracts - who would you take?

I’d take Landon Collins.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If you had to wager or Collins or Reuben Foster being a starter on our defense next year - forget contracts - who would you take?

I’d take Landon Collins.

That's a tough one if you take out contracts.  Really depends on if Foster can get back on the field this year, too.  Right now I'd say Collins, but if "neither" was an option, I'd take that one too. 

Reaves brought up to the active - again. 3 years in a row. Man, there are guys out there , Ha-Ha  only 27, Eric Reid, T J Ward , Reshad Jones . 

What do you guys think if we pair Everett with Curl. Do they interchange , Does Everett move to Strong ( seems more natural ) and Curl to free ? 

Edited by RSkinGM

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Reaves brought up to the active - again. 3 years in a row. Man, there are guys out there , Ha-Ha  only 27, Eric Reid, T J Ward , Reshad Jones . 

What do you guys think if we pair Everett with Curl. Do they interchange , Does Everett move to Strong ( seems more natural ) and Curl to free ? 

It seems to me that both of those guys have played at least average since they’ve gotten snaps. I don’t see any reason to not roll with them, especially Curl and to see what he does the second half of the year

I think both guys can play either position  too, so they’re interchangeable which is a good thing. They’re both sound tacklers and I think better in coverage than both Apke & Collins. Apke would be good in coverage but his recognition/reaction time as a FS is currently awful and he & Collins missed a lot of tackles this year. 

So while it’s not a flashy duo, if Curl & Everrett are just average, that’s an improvement.