2020 Week #8 GDT Steelers at Ravens

Steeler Hitman

9 hours ago, wwhickok said:

So in reality he wasn't targeted so we don't know how he would have done

Sort of a shallow praise there.

Not really. What more do you want to ask of a guy than being in position to make a play? In that same vein as the criticism you just gave -- they may not have targeted him because of how well in position he was. 

Dudes doing their job -- whether they are directly impacting outcomes of plays or not -- is always a good thing. 

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Not really. What more do you want to ask of a guy than being in position to make a play? In that same vein as the criticism you just gave -- they may not have targeted him because of how well in position he was. 

Dudes doing their job -- whether they are directly impacting outcomes of plays or not -- is always a good thing. 

I don't really mean that as a negative toward Justin layne as much is I'm just saying it's really hard to determine how good is really doing when he hasn't been targeted yet

Little surprised the Ravens actually extended Stanley. With the type of QB that Lamar is and the style of their offense - paying $20M per year for a blind side tackle didn't really make sense to me. 

As a Steelers fan, Im pretty cool with it. Gonna be on the hook for $100M between Lamar, Humphries, and Stanley soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Little surprised the Ravens actually extended Stanley. With the type of QB that Lamar is and the style of their offense - paying $20M per year for a blind side tackle didn't really make sense to me. 

As a Steelers fan, Im pretty cool with it. Gonna be on the hook for $100M between Lamar, Humphries, and Stanley soon. 

He is a premier left tackle and they do not grow on trees.. He didn't allow anybody to touch Lamar last season and is PFF's highest graded lineman in pass protection so far this season while being banged up the majority of the season.

29 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

He is a premier left tackle and they do not grow on trees.. He didn't allow anybody to touch Lamar last season and is PFF's highest graded lineman in pass protection so far this season while being banged up the majority of the season.

Im not arguing his skill  -- but my question is do YOU (the ravens) NEED that with Lamar and the way you need to play schematically to maximize Lamar? I'm surprised if that answer is yes.

$20M +$40M is a lot of cap in which you wont be able to have fun guys like Yannick, Earl, Peters, Ingram, Campbell come in or carry players like Tucker at $5M, Boyle at $7M, Tavon at $8M, or Williams at $14M. You guys have found a pretty good sweet spot of paying second contracts to quality players and having a well rounded roster because of it. That evaporates with 2 players at $60M and I really assumed you would save the $20M on a replacement level player that your offense and Lamar specifically would work around without loss. 

45 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Im not arguing his skill  -- but my question is do YOU (the ravens) NEED that with Lamar and the way you need to play schematically to maximize Lamar? I'm surprised if that answer is yes.

$20M +$40M is a lot of cap in which you wont be able to have fun guys like Yannick, Earl, Peters, Ingram, Campbell come in or carry players like Tucker at $5M, Boyle at $7M, Tavon at $8M, or Williams at $14M. You guys have found a pretty good sweet spot of paying second contracts to quality players and having a well rounded roster because of it. That evaporates with 2 players at $60M and I really assumed you would save the $20M on a replacement level player that your offense and Lamar specifically would work around without loss. 

Coming into the season the #1 priorities were to extend Humphrey and Stanley. It doesn't matter how athletic Lamar is, he is still looking to stand in the pocket and throw most of the time and with that you need a blind side protector. Judon will be gone and Yannick will most likely be signed, Peters has a couple of years left on his deal. There is no question when Lamar comes up to get paid things will definitely have to change but for now the Ravens have a very solid foundation of good young homegrown talent. 

38 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

It doesn't matter how athletic Lamar is, he is still looking to stand in the pocket and throw most of the time and with that you need a blind side protector.

Last year 60% of your pass plays came off RPO or PA, this year just under 50% do. You are 31st in passing yards per game and were 27th last year. You are paying a 5 to 7 and hitch protector, a premier dollar position, top money and you do not run a 5 to 7 and hitch offense. 

As an analytically advanced organization, I am just surprised you spent $20M on a LT when your offense probably is just as successful with a top drafted talent or a middle market player that would have saved you $10-15m annually. The nature of your system doesn't allow pass rushers on the edge to pin their ears back and rush a spot - defending that is what got the LT money market as high as it is. So for you to pay $20M for that, is surprising to me. 

If you are excited about it, wonderful. As a fan of an organization that wishes nothing but the worst on your roster construction abilities -- I'm a little excited about it too, so we can both win. 

Your offensive line doesnt scare me. Its what Jackson can do and the depth of decent players that you have at all other positions that does. To me, signing Stanely doesn't change anything but dent the ability you will have to maintain that depth across the board, because you wont be able to pay those secondary contracts to decent player anymore. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Last year 60% of your pass plays came off RPO or PA, this year just under 50% do. You are 31st in passing yards per game and were 27th last year. You are paying a 5 to 7 and hitch protector, a premier dollar position, top money and you do not run a 5 to 7 and hitch offense. 

As an analytically advanced organization, I am just surprised you spent $20M on a LT when your offense probably is just as successful with a top drafted talent or a middle market player that would have saved you $10-15m annually. The nature of your system doesn't allow pass rushers on the edge to pin their ears back and rush a spot - defending that is what got the LT money market as high as it is. So for you to pay $20M for that, is surprising to me. 

If you are excited about it, wonderful. As a fan of an organization that wishes nothing but the worst on your roster construction abilities -- I'm a little excited about it too, so we can both win. 

Your offensive line doesnt scare me. Its what Jackson can do and the depth of decent players that you have at all other positions that does. To me, signing Stanely doesn't change anything but dent the ability you will have to maintain that depth across the board, because you wont be able to pay those secondary contracts to decent player anymore. 

I totally understand your point but all it takes is one time for that "top drafted talent" or "middle market player" to blow and assignment and get Lamar killed. I enjoy having the piece of mind of knowing my franchise quarterback has his backside protected.

Good luck on Sunday!! Gonna be a good one!!

Edited by Letsch80