Montrezl Harrell to the Lakers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I do think Ibaka would have been a better get for LA with Schroeder already on board.

Improved the team, but a better fit offensively and defensively for the same price was available.

Well, I imagine they're going to be resting LeBron quite often and Harrell has a stronger motor/can get his own offense better than Ibaka, so perhaps there was a thought in spending money on Harrell 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I do think Ibaka would have been a better get for LA with Schroeder already on board. Improved the team, but a better fit offensively and defensively for the same price was available.

They picked up five years Trez vs Ibaka and I think the organization wanted to surround AD with a younger core to build around.
Also - I think Vogel will get more out of Trez than Doc did on the defensive side.

4 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Well, I imagine they're going to be resting LeBron quite often and Harrell has a stronger motor/can get his own offense better than Ibaka, so perhaps there was a thought in spending money on Harrell 

He definitely can get his offense better, but not so much so that it should have been a deciding factor if you ask me.

He is younger and can go play bigger minutes more consistently than Ibaka, so that's sound logic and helps more. And in the long run if the plan is to retain him and Schroeder going forward then it makes more sense as well.

Ultimately I think Ibaka would have helped them more this season and maybe next, but if they lock up Harrell and Schroeder long term (assuming both continue their great play) then this was the smarter signing.

8 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean who knows if Ibaka even wanted to come to the Lakers but yeah, the bench unit with Harrell/Scroeder/Kuzma/Caruso are going to carry the team in stretches during the regular season, especially when LBJ sits out. 

Also, the amount of scorers is really going to help when the team gets hit with a positive covid test. It's not going to be clean like the bubble so deep teams are going to have big advantages. 

Is the NBA going to allow teams to dress more players or add more to the roster if a team gets hit with Covid? 

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

He definitely can get his offense better, but not so much so that it should have been a deciding factor if you ask me.

He is younger and can go play bigger minutes more consistently than Ibaka, so that's sound logic and helps more. And in the long run if the plan is to retain him and Schroeder going forward then it makes more sense as well.

Ultimately I think Ibaka would have helped them more this season and maybe next, but if they lock up Harrell and Schroeder long term (assuming both continue their great play) then this was the smarter signing.

I think it's more about Pelinka wanting to add more offense to the bench.  The Lakers were 13rd in bench scoring I believe, a little over 10 PPG less than the league leading Clippers.  And I believe a large majority of the Lakers' bench scoring numbers were inflated by Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Kyle Kuzma who averaged 9.3 and 12.8 PPG respectively.  With KCP likely a starting guard moving forward, you can bring Dennis Schoder off the bench to replace that bench scoring.  I'd be very surprised if KCP/Matthews/LeBron/AD/Gasol wasn't the starting lineup on most nights.