Week 12 GDT: Ravens (6-4) vs Steelers (10-0) Pt. Dos - Prove We Don't Suck

RavensTillIDie

What do you guys make of that TD pass to Hollywood? 

On the one hand, he's been a major disappoint with his drops and uninspired route running.

At the same time, teams are just not guarding the deep outer 3rds of the field against us. If Lamar can get the ball to Hollywood out there, there are big plays to be had. 

14 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

What do you guys make of that TD pass to Hollywood? 

On the one hand, he's been a major disappoint with his drops and uninspired route running.

At the same time, teams are just not guarding the deep outer 3rds of the field against us. If Lamar can get the ball to Hollywood out there, there are big plays to be had. 

I don't make much of it, honestly. Just a really lucky play.

2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

I think our defense is filled with a lot of dudes who are okay and fans fall in love with certain players.

Clark, Elliot, Queen, Bowser etc. none of them are particularly good players (as of now), but fans will fall in love with some of them and not the others.

Clark is what he is. He's an average player who plays above average some of the time. 

Elliot is as advertised. He won't get exposed too often and can thump with the best of them. It's glaring when he misses coverage though. 

Queen is only 11 games into his career and shown some real flashes of a superstar. When he's good, he's GREAT. When he's bad, he's really bad. That's consistent with a first year player. If he can fix up his coverage issues and not wrapping up tackles, I'm excited for his future. 

Bowser is that player that you'd really miss when he's gone. A lot of stuff he does goes unnoticed at times. He gets more pressure than some people see. He's a more constant threat then the guy were paying in the franchise tag this year, that's for sure. 

Off season priority should be WR, Edge and Safety, IOL. I do think if there's a DL guy sliding even a little in round one, the Ravens should beef up the D line. 

54 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That also doesn't factor in that Cleveland has to drop at least 1 of their last 4, which....idk.

I filled in BAL, PIT, and CLE and it ended with us having a 59% chance.

It  does factor that in, it factors in every team in the league's prospective schedule and the chances of them winning said games. That's why that site is such a useful tool.

If you fill out our WC competitors (IND/LV/MIA) those %s change drastically, can't just do CLE and PIT and expect to get an accurate picture when our playoff chances are tied just as much to how IND/LV/MIA do the rest of the way as to how CLE does. There are 3 wildcards this year. CLE getting one of those doesn't have a huge implication on us getting one of the other 2 this year. More so IND/LV tbh because those teams are more likely to end up 10-6 like us than CLE (i see them going 11-5 most likely)

Edited by Ray Reed

6 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Maybe it was lucky, but it illustrates how lightly teams are guarding the deep outer 3rds of the field. If we get the ball out there and get a bit "lucky," it's an easy TD. 

I mean sure, but Lamar isn't good at throwing outside the numbers or deep, and so teams aren't going to defend there. They play everyone over the middle because that's where Greg Roman schemes all of our routes.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean sure, but Lamar isn't good at throwing outside the numbers or deep, and so teams aren't going to defend there. They play everyone over the middle because that's where Greg Roman schemes all of our routes.

If we can hit on just one or two of those a game it would change how defenses played us. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

If we can hit on just one or two of those a game it would change how defenses played us. 

I definitely see your point and agree. If Lamar can hit more of those passes it would certainly help. Especially since he should be able to. His arm may not be great, but it’s certainly stronger than McSorely’s. No excuse for not being able to connect on such routes.

Though the counter to that could be the Steelers were lax there because of the game situation.

Either way, Lamar should humbly look to learn more from McSorely than he does from RG3. Which isn’t to say Griffin can’t be a great coach (as has been the case with plenty of failed QBs), but McSorely while his arm strength isn’t there definitely had a superior command of the offense than Griffin and superior understanding (seemingly) of what the defense was looking to do. 

Random, but probably one of the greatest weaknesses of our offense is that our backup QBs all need to be “athletes” and that’s not specifically a fit for many veteran QBs that have been in many QB rooms across the league. RGIII has been in a room with Shanahan, though he seems like he was arrogant enough at the time for it not to really do him much good. I’m sure it would help Lamar to have a Ryan Fitzpatrick to assist in Lamar’s development as a QB from a cerebral standpoint. But our offensive system as currently constructed doesn’t really allow for many such QBs to be backups here.

26 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I definitely see your point and agree. If Lamar can hit more of those passes it would certainly help. Especially since he should be able to. His arm may not be great, but it’s certainly stronger than McSorely’s. No excuse for not being able to connect on such routes.

Though the counter to that could be the Steelers were lax there because of the game situation.

Either way, Lamar should humbly look to learn more from McSorely than he does from RG3. Which isn’t to say Griffin can’t be a great coach (as has been the case with plenty of failed QBs), but McSorely while his arm strength isn’t there definitely had a superior command of the offense than Griffin and superior understanding (seemingly) of what the defense was looking to do. 

Random, but probably one of the greatest weaknesses of our offense is that our backup QBs all need to be “athletes” and that’s not specifically a fit for many veteran QBs that have been in many QB rooms across the league. RGIII has been in a room with Shanahan, though he seems like he was arrogant enough at the time for it not to really do him much good. I’m sure it would help Lamar to have a Ryan Fitzpatrick to assist in Lamar’s development as a QB from a cerebral standpoint. But our offensive system as currently constructed doesn’t really allow for many such QBs to be backups here.

BRING BACK TYROD

41 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

BRING BACK TYROD

Certainly would be a better backup QB than RG3 for sure. He’s shown legit ability to operate at a high enough level in this league. RG3 hasn’t shown that level since his rookie season. He’s definitely passionate about football but I’m just not convinced that he’s a great fit in aiding Lamar’s needed progression.

Taylor has more experience in QB rooms he could provide. I certainly wouldn’t be against going in that direction as a backup QB. Though still I’d love a Matt Schaub... if it weren’t for him not being a scheme fit.

• Like 1