2K20: Game #11 - Kansas City @ Tampa Bay

onejayhawk

After a difficult Sunday night game, we get one the toughest teams of the season. Tampa is not quite as highly ranked as they were a few weeks ago, partly due to a close loss to the Rams. Now 7-4, the Buccaneers present one of the elite defenses in the league and a competent offense, run by some guy they picked up from New England. 

FBO no longer makes their basic rankings available to the public, so I will discontinue using them. A consensus of power rankings would put Tampa Bay just outside the top 10. 

This week's Pride film review is of the defense. We did well against the run, but at cost of pressure on the QB. Spagnuolo committed and extra S to the box, meaning Thornhill was largely watching from the sideline. He's playing, but not that well yet. Although the team had only one sack, we did get fifteen QB pressures, which is decent and better than the first game. Also of note is the poor tackling, even by our mediocre previous standards. It seems the bye week mixed up a few things.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/24/21612143/week-11-defensive-film-review-how-the-raiders-kept-the-chiefs-defense-reeling

J

Jared Allen was one of our best draft choices ever, 4th round in 2004. We got four elite years from him, All-Pro in 2007, then traded him for a package of picks which turned into LT Branden Albert and RB Jamaal Charles (2008 was a good draft). He played eight more years, first with the Vikings, then three other teams. He is four times All-Pro, twice NFL leader in sacks and currently #12 on the all time sack list. He has advanced to semifinalist fore the NFL Hall of Fame.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/24/jared-allen-pro-football-hall-of-fame-2021-semifinalist-kansas-city-chiefs/

He was a real stud, but unhappy at the contract the Chiefs offered. It is a simple fact that first round picks will always make more money than fourth round picks of similar stature. When the Vikings made a good offer, a first and two third round picks, we pulled the trigger. Good as he was the picks proved more valuable. 
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2008/04/22/adios-one-man-gang-jared-allen-traded-to-vikings/

J

Edited by onejayhawk

Injury report. No Chiefs held out of practice but four Buccaneers.

Player Injury Participation*
LT Eric Fisher Ankle/Shoulder FP
LB Willie Gay Jr. Shoulder FP
TE Travis Kelce Pec FP
WR Sammy Watkins Hamstring/Calf FP
DT Derrick Nnadi Ankle FP
RT Mike Remmers Ribs FP
DT Chris Jones Groin FP
C Austin Reiter Knee FP
DT Khalen Saunders Elbow FP
CB L’Jarius Sneed Collarbone FP

Player Injury Participation*
LT Donovan Smith Ankle DNP
LG Ali Marpet Concussion FP
CB Jamel Dean Concussion DNP
TE Tanner Hudson NIR DNP
WR Chris Godwin Finger FP
C A.Q. Shipley Neck DNP
CB Ryan Smith Back LP
OLB Jason Pierre-Paul Knee LP

Matt Lane's film review is on Mike Remmers, who has played OG for us but is now playing RT. Lane thinks he's earning his pay. Here's part of his takeaway.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/25/21673683/film-review-mike-remmers-holding-his-own-during-extended-stay-at-right-tackle-mitchell-schwartz-nfl

Remmers will start two more games — perhaps more — at right tackle. It’s rare thing to replace an All-Pro tackle like Schwartz without missing a beat — but so far, Remmers has held up his end, perhaps even providing some small steps forward. As a run blocker, he’s been at least as good as Schwartz — specifically with his ability to function as a man or power blocker while moving just well enough to function in space

No offense to Remmers' work at Rt. I would really like him at RG because Schwartz is back at RT. We have options on the left side, which is more teamwork oriented. Remmer and Schwartz are our best in isolation.

J

31 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Matt Lane's film review is on Mike Remmers, who has played OG for us but is now playing RT. Lane thinks he's earning his pay. Here's part of his takeaway.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/25/21673683/film-review-mike-remmers-holding-his-own-during-extended-stay-at-right-tackle-mitchell-schwartz-nfl

Remmers will start two more games — perhaps more — at right tackle. It’s rare thing to replace an All-Pro tackle like Schwartz without missing a beat — but so far, Remmers has held up his end, perhaps even providing some small steps forward. As a run blocker, he’s been at least as good as Schwartz — specifically with his ability to function as a man or power blocker while moving just well enough to function in space

No offense to Remmers' work at Rt. I would really like him at RG because Schwartz is back at RT. We have options on the left side, which is more teamwork oriented. Remmer and Schwartz are our best in isolation.

J

Yeah I’m worried about the Buccs game, The OL has not looked good against a great pass rush like they got 

They have a lot of WRs that need to be covered and a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly. Gonna need Sneed big-time and Honey Badger to step his game up. The raider game might have been the worst game I've seen him play in Red. He kept trying to go for the strip and just let Waller walk for the first down. Reminded me of what Peters does.

15 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

They have a lot of WRs that need to be covered and a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly. Gonna need Sneed big-time and Honey Badger to step his game up. The raider game might have been the worst game I've seen him play in Red. He kept trying to go for the strip and just let Waller walk for the first down. Reminded me of what Peters does.

Guys can’t cover all day, if the DL can’t get to Brady he’s gonna pick us apart all day just like Carr did.

31 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Same here. That injury report has many key guys on defense banged up too.  Many tough games yet to play.

This game is honestly a terrible matchup for us overall

subpar OL vs elite pass rush/run defense

bad pass rush vs Brady

Mahomes will keep us in it, but it’s gonna be tough for him. Him, Kelce and Hill need to be on it.

I seem to have missed posting that Byron Pringle went to IR on Tuesday. Since he has been our fourth WR for the last several weeks, it will be important to note how well Sammy Watkins is looking in practice. So far, full participation both days. Last week it was FP on Wednesday, LP on Thursday and Friday, finally out. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/24/21706030/chiefs-announce-three-roster-moves-on-tuesday

I saw this article on Juan Thornhill, who only played eleven snaps in the Raiders game. Honey Badger is saying that he's not really close to 100%. It will be next year before Thornhill will be fully recovered. In the meantime, we may be seeing more CB playing FS, like Fuller last year. Getting Sneed and his 4.4 speed back will also help. BoPete Keyes also has the size to play S.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/25/21720644/tyrann-mathieu-says-juan-thornhill-is-still-battling-back-from-his-injury

Somewhat related, Dieon Sanders said that DeAndre Baker (DB the CB) made the right decision signing with the Chiefs. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/27/21722305/arrowheadlines-deion-sanders-believes-deandre-baker-made-the-right-decision-in-signing-with-kc

No surprise that Pat Mahomes leads all players in Pro-Bowl voting. Joining him in the top five is Travis Kelce. Chris Jones and Tyrann Mathieu lead their positions in AFC voting.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/11/25/21721035/chiefs-have-two-players-in-top-five-of-2021-pro-bowl-fan-voting

J

I'm really not as concerned about our pass rush this game as some of you are. It's not great, don't get me wrong, and I do think on the wish list for the offseason would be a proper edge rusher at LE. I think we're paying Clark to be elite when he's really more above average, and we're hoping Tanoh or Okafor can start, and neither is really that guy. But I think there's a bad habit all fans have of over-attributing results to their own team, and forgetting the opposition. Against not Las Vegas, the pass rush has absolutely been good enough. Not great, but good enough. We're 6th in hurry percentage, we're 6th in QB hit percentage, we're 8th in pressure percentage. We have to blitz more than I like to get that result, but it's good enough.

But just the same as every week the team that plays us seems to think they need to fire their defensive coordinator, when Mahomes does what he does against everyone, I think Chiefs fans have overreacted about the pass rush, when the reality is the Raiders just have a rare offensive line that can actually handle Chris Jones, and Jones is obviously the driving force behind our pass rush. Hudson and Jackson are one of the only sets of guys on any interior line in football that can shut down Jones as a pass rusher. The Colts would maybe be the only other team I'd be concerned about being able to do that. Sometimes it's less about us, and more about the competition.

The Bucs OL has done well this year, but their weaker point on the season has been at C and RG, exactly where Jones will operate, so I'm far less worried there. I don't expect much from Clark or Nnadi on the right side, as Smith and Marpet have been very good, but Jones will have far more opportunity this coming week than last.

Someone also said the Bucs have a QB who gets rid of the ball quickly. I don't think that's true this year. This isn't New England Brady. This isn't 8 passes to James White, 10 to Julian Edelman, Brady. Arians offense runs far more deep and long developing routes than the ones Brady ever ran in New England. That's why the picks are flowing and the stats are down. The tendencies are just very different there. Their RBs are averaging like 4 yards per carry, so when they do go there, they're also FAR less productive than the old Brady teams. I honestly think we'll be fine against that offense.

• Like 1

Shipley is out at Center for Tampa Bay. All the way out. Coach Arians wants Shipley to begin coaching for T.Bay. Shipley's neck injury was much more serious than first thought.

Left Tackle Donovan Smith and Left Guard Ali Marpet are questionable. Smith failed to practice all week with an ankle injury. Marpet is in the Concussion protocol and has missed 3 games. If Marpet can't play Aaron Stinnie will replace him and play his first NFL game.

These changes could offer our Dline some opportunities to exert some pressure on Brady and the Bucs running game.

Edited by mayanfootball

Final inury report. Everyone not on IR is good to go, including Sammy. The Bucs are another story. As noted above, C AQ Shipley's career appears to be over. Two other OL did not practice, nor did Jason Pierre-Paul. 

Player Injury Participation* Designation
LT Eric Fisher Ankle/Shoulder FP
LB Willie Gay Jr. Shoulder FP
TE Travis Kelce Pec FP
WR Sammy Watkins Hamstring/Calf FP
DT Derrick Nnadi Ankle FP
RT Mike Remmers Ribs FP
DT Chris Jones Groin FP
C Austin Reiter Knee FP
DT Khalen Saunders Elbow FP
CB L’Jarius Sneed Collarbone FP
CB BoPete Keyes Ankle FP