USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

14 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Best news we've had in a long, long time. Shocked he would step down, wondering if someone was giving him a push although I don't know who could have that power. 

I think he's really more interested in the WC bid anyway, which he could still be a part of regardless of his presidential status.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:17 PM, LeeEvans said:

Best news we've had in a long, long time. Shocked he would step down, wondering if someone was giving him a push although I don't know who could have that power. 

If/when Kathy Carter (SUM President) gets elected it's not like anything is actually gonna change. 

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Without wanting to sound like an idiot but what is SUM?

Soccer United Marketing.

It's the marketing arm of MLS and essentially of USSF - responsible for selling the TV rights for MLS, USMNT, USWNT and other commercial soccer projects like setting up/selling Mexico's friendlies in the United States. 

SUM is already one of the power players in US Soccer given that they are intertwined with MLS. If you're someone like me who believes that one of the biggest problems with this sport in the country is that at the top of our pyramid we have a league in MLS that achieves its profit goals by strategically limiting investment in the sport itself... then it's hard to see how empowering someone from their marketing/commercial arm is going to fundamentally change anything. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That game was just gross. The starting lineup was ugly. Morris as a winger is a waste of time. Zardes just simply isn't close to MNT material. They played with no creator in the first half and it really showed. The only real chances came from Sapong, Adams, and Roldan pressing high and forcing Bosnia into mistakes. Sapong was a bit of a problem for Bosnia, but he looked very much in preseason form. Morris looked much better as a forward, and the team actually had some decent spells in the early part of the second half once Arriola and Rowe came on. Walker Zimmerman and Matt Polster looked completely out of their depth. Ike Oparra probably the MOTM for me.

Yeah the 1st half was so ugly and boring that i ended up turning it off at halftime but it does look like Rowe had some nice moments in the 2nd half. 

Really speaks to how dumb everyone involved in our national team setup is that in a 'look to the future' camp we basically still trotted out the oldest possible lineup for this game including Zardes and a 30 year old Morrow. 

47 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yeah the 1st half was so ugly and boring that i ended up turning it off at halftime but it does look like Rowe had some nice moments in the 2nd half. 

Really speaks to how dumb everyone involved in our national team setup is that in a 'look to the future' camp we basically still trotted out the oldest possible lineup for this game including Zardes and a 30 year old Morrow. 

I saw the starting lineup and almost didn't watch. Only thing that brought me into it was Tyler Adams. I'm also not a big Wil Trapp fan because 5'8'' DM aren't real players.