USMNT Thread: Wandering in the Wilderness

LeeEvans

Berhalter has the backing of every major US player with the exception of Reyna and Scally.    Had Reyna not been a petulant child at the World Cup and actually worked in training he would have played significant minutes and his parents wouldn't have become the worst caricatures of amateur Soccer Mom and Dad.     His assistants did a nice job keeping the seat warm but glad he's back onboard 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, Kampfgeist said:

Berhalter has the backing of every major US player with the exception of Reyna and Scally.    Had Reyna not been a petulant child at the World Cup and actually worked in training he would have played significant minutes and his parents wouldn't have become the worst caricatures of amateur Soccer Mom and Dad.     His assistants did a nice job keeping the seat warm but glad he's back onboard 

Having to pay the coach the same as the USWNT pretty much limits who we can get anyways. I can see paying the players the same (although for the men the NT team pay has to be a drop in the bucket compared to their club pay), but the men’s coach has a much tougher job with their relative talent pools. So with that, GB might be the best we can ask for. Won’t be hiring Pep for 1m per year.

On 6/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, DreamKid said:

Berhalter coming back to head the team after a dominant summer tourney win(coached by someone else) where coincidentally Reyna, Pepi, and Scally all shined and post a run at the Gold Cup is just..... indescribably bizarre.  

The man was outed as an abuser in retaliation by Gio's parents after he attempted to smear their son's name publicly. In what universe is this supposed to work out? How do you 'repair' that relationship?

Love to see the squad playing how they are and our young talent making good on deserved opportunity, but the news of a Berhalter return is a vibe killer. The man's apologists are insufferable as well, 'coach culture' in the US is too pervasive. Too many grown men spending Fathers Day weekend polluting every celebratory and analysis post about the game with their "AckuShaLLy" paragraphs extolling the virtues of Berhalter, cause they can't handle a man they don't know being mocked. Just enjoy the win weirdos. 

Gold Cup up next, Jamaica this Saturday.

Pepi wasn’t doing anything before the World Cup. He improved massively after moving to the Netherlands. I’m not sure why people bring that up as a gripe. Shaq Moore playing over Scally is a legit one though, as Moore was trash. 

Berhalter rehire isn’t exciting, but he was still one of the most successful managers we’ve ever had, and actually had us playing a style where we try to play on the front foot, as opposed to say Klinsmann and Bob Bradley where we would often bunker, hold on for dear life, and counter attack against any half decent team. I think the player pool has improved as well so that plays a role too.  

Unless some foreign star manager was available, I think Berhalter was a fine pick compared to the names being floated, which all had road bumps in their careers and not amazing track records (Marsch, Vieira, Henry etc). The fact that the core players all seem to love the guy means something as well.

I do hope he and Gio have patched it up cause Gio’s looked great in the midfield.

Edited by amac