2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Inefficient gunners with streaky jumpers that don’t play create for others, score at an efficient clip, or play defense don’t seem to that hard to find. Herro has more play making potential than Clarkson. But Bouknight will be a similar player in the league unless he really improves as a shooter, passer, ball handler, and defender. 

I don't think he has to improve ALL of those things. Increase his efficiency and effort on D and he can be a very good starter on the right team...like Memphis.

The backcourt would be slight, but I think Memphis has the right system and support to make it work.

Didn't Bouknight get hurt last year and his efficiency dropped off once he came back?

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Awful.

SGA is awesome.

Yes he is but the gap between Mobley and whoever the Cavaliers would land at #6 is pretty substantial. After the top 4 or 5 prospects in the class it gets a little murky. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yes he is but the gap between Mobley and whoever the Cavaliers would land at #6 is pretty substantial. After the top 4 or 5 prospects in the class it gets a little murky. 

But SGA is a better prospect than Mobley, so why would OKC do that?

Why does it seem like so many poster think SGA on the block or that OKC is willing to offer him? Did I miss something?

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't think he has to improve ALL of those things. Increase his efficiency and effort on D and he can be a very good starter on the right team...like Memphis.

The backcourt would be slight, but I think Memphis has the right system and support to make it work.

Didn't Bouknight get hurt last year and his efficiency dropped off once he came back?

One thing that's weird about Bouknight's scoring is that he was very good in isolation situations (84th percentile), about average as the p-n-r ball handler (42nd percentile), but struggled in catch and shoot situations (14th percentile). Roughly 75% of his shots at the rim were unassisted so he can definitely create his own offense but he had a 1.5:2.0 assist/to ratio. He also only shot 29% from 3 and 36% on long 2's which is why his efficiency numbers were meh despite being able to get to the rim on his own and finish. Another thing I look at when looking at guys from smaller schools is how they played against teams that had NBA level talent. The only two games that he played against future NBA guys were USC and Villanova and he was a combined 12/32 FG with 3 assists and 9 TO. 

He could develop into a starter for sure but right now I think he's best suited to be a gunner off the bench. He's at his best when he has the ball in his hands but isn't really a playmaker or passer at this stage, he's looking to score. And with his streaky shooting and inability to be effective off of the ball he's not really someone that projects as a starter early on, unless you'd want Ja to be playing off of him. 

Definitely has the tools but the swing factors for him will be improving as a shooter, playmaker, playing off-ball, and playing with good effort defensively. 

14 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

But SGA is a better prospect than Mobley, so why would OKC do that?

Why does it seem like so many poster think SGA on the block or that OKC is willing to offer him? Did I miss something?

SGA is definitely a better prospect than Mobley but depending on who Cleveland picks they'll likely trade one of Allen/Sexton for other young pieces/assets. I really can't see them moving the #3 pick unless they're getting a young proven player they really like. And based on the reports that they're shopping Sexton, I expect that they'll go with Suggs/Green at #3. If Mobley is on the board at #4 I could see Toronto being open to moving down if they believe in Chris Boucher at the center spot like one of their fans here suggested. 

On 6/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, NYRaider said:

Interesting...

every time troy weaver has been asked about cade he's been completely effusive. he just did an interview where he compared him to grant hill. he came out the night of or day after the lottery and said he's going to draft the best player regardless of perceived fit. a lot of this feels like the media trying to drum up some suspense because it's not fun when everyone knows who the first pick is.

• Like 1

Just now, catcheryea said:

every time troy weaver has been asked about cade he's been completely effusive. he just did an interview where he compared him to grant hill. he came out the night of or day after the lottery and said he's going to draft the best player regardless of perceived fit. a lot of this feels like the media trying to drum up some suspense because it's not fun when everyone knows who the first pick is.

I mean Cade is 100% going to be the first player selected it's just a matter of if he'll be flipped for Green or they'll keep him. But based on the fact that Cade didn't workout at the combine and is only talking to one team, the Pistons, before the draft it's basically a lock. And I think Green probably has a promise from Houston at this point as well because he was planning to workout during the draft combine but then declined too at the last minute and has been posting Rocket's stuff on social media. 

The draft really starts at pick #3, imo. Does Cleveland go Mobley #3 then look to S&T Allen or do they go Suggs at #3 then look to trade Sexton.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Cavs need to just draft Mobley or Green.

Don’t trade the pick.

Which do you prefer? And I could see a scenario where you take Mobley #3, move Sexton on draft night, try to play Mobley/Allen together and then move Allen later on if it doesn't work. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which do you prefer? And I could see a scenario where you take Mobley #3, move Sexton on draft night, try to play Mobley/Allen together and then move Allen later on if it doesn't work. 

Honestly, Mobley because bigs like him are very important and hard to find. I know it’s a wing heavy league. 

Making an NFL comp, there’s a lot of super stud WRs being drafted every year, but fewer quality offensive linemen.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Honestly, Mobley because bigs like him are very important and hard to find. I know it’s a wing heavy league. 

Making an NFL comp, there’s a lot of super stud WRs being drafted every year, but fewer quality offensive linemen.

That's true but then do you move on from both Sexton and Allen?

20 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

SGA is definitely a better prospect than Mobley but depending on who Cleveland picks they'll likely trade one of Allen/Sexton for other young pieces/assets. I really can't see them moving the #3 pick unless they're getting a young proven player they really like. And based on the reports that they're shopping Sexton, I expect that they'll go with Suggs/Green at #3. If Mobley is on the board at #4 I could see Toronto being open to moving down if they believe in Chris Boucher at the center spot like one of their fans here suggested. 

Don't get me wrong, I get it from Cleveland's side very easily. I don't get it from OKC's side is what I'm saying.

SGA is a star in the making. He's what you tank for/trade to get, not as a piece in a trade for a different young but unproven player.

4 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Who will be Cade’s sidekick?

Jerami Grant unless they trade him. Detroit has some solid young talent on their roster, Bey/Stewart were both All-NBA Rookies and Killian Hayes was hurt but was the #7 pick last season and flashed when he was healthy. Hayes is only 19, needs to get stronger, but if he does I think he can be a pretty similar player to D'Angelo Russell. Detroit's best bet would probably be to sell Grant's stock now while it's high, roll with the young guys, take another swing in the lottery next year, and fire Casey so they can get Weavers guy in there. 

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Don't get me wrong, I get it from Cleveland's side very easily. I don't get it from OKC's side is what I'm saying.

SGA is a star in the making. He's what you tank for/trade to get, not as a piece in a trade for a different young but unproven player.

Yeah I think SGA is definitely untouchable for the Thunder. Just don't really see Cleveland passing up on the opportunity to draft Mobley/Suggs/Green for a couple of mid firsts this year or future draft assets. Because the player they'll get at #6 isn't in the same tier as any of those guys. I think Cade/Green/Mobley/Suggs are the top 4 the Kuminga/Barnes the next 2 but after that it's a crap shoot as to who will go where.