2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Ziarie WIlliams is the perfect example, he came into the year as a guy projected as a top 10 pick. He had an up and down season on a bad Stanford team but their team was also forced to live out of a hotel due to covid restrictions and he had two deaths in his family during his freshman season. 

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

draft express did a 2nd mock.  he has the rockets taking green at 2, tre mann at 23 and ziare williams at 24.  man oh man that would be a perfect haul. 

Agreed. That'd be an amazing draft. I doubt either player drops to #23 though.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He has Moses Moody falling all the way to #18, I don't think he gets out of the lottery. And if he does can't see anyway that Memphis passes on him at #17, especially for another big. @seminoles1

I keep seeing people mock big men to Memphis. With Valanciunas, JJJ, Clarke, and Tillman I just don't see why we would unless it's an amazing value pick...but I don't think that's a possibility.

It has to be a wing or combo guard. Multiple good options.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I did like the video you showed. You think his stock has risen that high to be taken 17th?

I wouldn't hate it, but would like to trade down and get him if possible if Bouknight is gone.

This draft is weird because scouts really didn't get to see a lot of these guys play in person a ton, if at all, this year. After the first 5 or 6 prospects it gets murky and will really come down to team need/preference. I think during a normal draft cycle front office guys, scouts, etc are around each other more during the season discussing prospects, how they view them, and then that information gets leaked out to the mock draft guys. But this year we really didn't get any of that due to covid. I think we're going to see a lot of guys go a lot higher or a lot lower than they're being mocked, at least more so then we would during a normal draft cycle. 

I'm high on him, the more I've watched, the more I like him. He's only 19 with a great physical profile for a 2 guard  at 6'5" 215 with a 6'9" wingspan and plus athleticism. He's a monster in transition and flashed his ability to score at all 3 levels off of the bounce. Like Bouknight he's strictly a scorer at this stage that will need to get better as a playmaker and more consistent in catch and shoot situations. I think he has way more potential as a defender than Bouknight because of his frame, length, and athleticism, he should be able to switch 1-4 and flashed good instincts. IIRC he averaged almost 2 steals per game last year. 

It's hard to judge him because we really only got a 15 game sample size during the covid year. For a young team like Memphis I'd feel more comfortable rolling the dice on a 2 guard like Christopher than someone like Mann or Thomas. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Weaknesses

- Shot creation

- Ball handling

- Finishing

- Offensive assertiveness 

- Explosiveness 

#Top10Pick

I don't get the appeal of Wagner at all. He's a fine defender but he's just not great at anything. I don't think I'd even have him in my top 20 to 25 right now. I'm 100% taking someone intriguing like Trey Murphy, Bones Hyland or Josh Christopher over Wagner.

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't get the appeal of Wagner at all. He's a fine defender but he's just not great at anything. I don't think I'd even have him in my top 20 to 25 right now. I'm 100% taking someone intriguing like Trey Murphy, Bones Hyland or Josh Christopher over Wagner.

If you're looking for a role player I guess but he's just so limited offensively, not sure why he's being mocked in the top 10.