2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

Kuminga the most overrated dude out of the lottery prospects. Shot 37% in the g league and seems not that smart. No thanks.

I think Scottie Barnes is going to Orlando at 5 so I guess I want Moses Moody at 6 for OKC.

It's a 13 game sample size in a bubble on a team of primarily HS kids that played against fringe NBA players.

Kuminga has one of, if not the, most impressive physical profiles in the draft. In terms of his size, length, and athleticism he reminds me a lot of Kawhi Leonard. 

Kawhi Leonard, Jaylen Brown, Pascal Siakam, the list goes on of athletic forwards that struggled as shooters coming into the league and have developed into All-Stars. I'd take a swing on his upside over someone look Moody 100/100 times. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

Why has Suggs fallen in the past few weeks in people’s minds? Just curious he seems like he’s going from a consensus top 4 player who was maybe the 2nd or 3rd overall pick to someone you maybe pass on at 4? What is the general thinking? It seems this happened awful quickly. I’m still rating him behind Green and Mobley but I would be very happy with any of those three at four. 

Why not take a chance on Kuminga? What @NYRaiderhas been saying seem to echo my thoughts. If he falls to you in the 5-8 range are you taking the safe pick just because who can maybe become a solid starter instead of swinging for the fences? 

6 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Why has Suggs fallen in the past few weeks in people’s minds? Just curious he seems like he’s going from a consensus top 4 player who was maybe the 2nd or 3rd overall pick to someone you maybe pass on at 4? What is the general thinking? It seems this happened awful quickly. I’m still rating him behind Green and Mobley but I would be very happy with any of those three at four. 

Why not take a chance on Kuminga? What @NYRaiderhas been saying seem to echo my thoughts. If he falls to you in the 5-8 range are you taking the safe pick just because who can maybe become a solid starter instead of swinging for the fences? 

I just think he's more Tyrese Haliburton / Lonzo Ball then a superstar or transcendent talent. Still a good player to have on your team just not necessarily someone you're going to build around, think he'll be a plus role player. Love his fit with the Raptors as a team that already has 2 proven scorers in FVV/Siakam. But I don't like his fit in Houston or Cleveland. 

Agreed. And for a team like OKC is Moody that much better than a wing you can land at #16? I don't think there's a huge gap between Moody and someone like Chris Duarte. While there's a huge gap between someone like Kuminga and Trey Murphy. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Wagner and Kuminga aren't even close as prospects. 

I was referring to where he said Kuminga is the most overrated prospect out of all the guys who supposed to go in the lottery.  I think Wagner is. 

Edited by Texansfan713

I've cooled a little bit on Davion Mitchell the more I've watched him. Think he's Terry Rozier in the league, which is fine, just not sure it's worth a top 10 pick. It's also kind of concerning when a guy has been meh for 3 years in college and then makes a leap as an upperclassman playing against much younger players. 

Also a little concerned with his shooting. Coming into this season he was a career 31% 3P shooter and shot 45% from 3 this season. Which looks great at face value but he had like 7 unreal shooting games where he was 33/49 (67%) from beyond the arc and in their other 23 games he was 30/92 (32%) from 3. 

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

I was referring to where he said Kuminga is the most overrated prospect out of all the guys who supposed to go in the lottery.  I think Wagner is. 

I don't think Kuminga is overrated, he's like 5/6 on most big boards, which is fair. He's raw but  his upside is high because of his physical tools/age. After Kuminga there's a huge drop off.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I've cooled a little bit on Davion Mitchell the more I've watched him. Think he's Terry Rozier in the league, which is fine, just not sure it's worth a top 10 pick. It's also kind of concerning when a guy has been meh for 3 years in college and then makes a leap as an upperclassman playing against much younger players. 

Also a little concerned with his shooting. Coming into this season he was a career 31% 3P shooter and shot 45% from 3 this season. Which looks great at face value but he had like 7 unreal shooting games where he was 33/49 (67%) from beyond the arc and in their other 23 games he was 30/92 (32%) from 3. 

Charlotte's version of Terry Rozier is a top 10 pick. 

1 minute ago, Texansfan713 said:

Charlotte's version of Terry Rozier is a top 10 pick. 

Took Rozier like 6 years to figure it out and he's still a career 11 ppg guy on 40% FG.

Mitchell will be a 23 year old rookie while Rozier was 23 in his third year in the league. 

Edited by NYRaider

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mitchell will be older as a rookie then Collin Sexton, Luka Doncic, and Trae Young who will be going into their 4th years. 

And? If he figures it out you get a great player who can run the offense in a pinch.

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

And? If he figures it out you get a great player who can run the offense in a pinch.

There's a reason teams typically stray away from older players with only one season of high level play. He was older than pretty much everyone he played against, if you put Sexton/Young in college this year, how well do you think they would've played? His shooting is suspect and he's more of a small 2 guard then a true PG.

3 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

He'd be an even better version with his defense. That's a great player.

Just have to hope he can be an instant impact player as a 23 year old rookie. Also have to hope his shooting translates because as I mentioned above he really had 7 unreal shooting games and was mediocre shooting from deep in their other 23 games. As he was in his other 2 years playing in college. Do you trust a 7 game sample size as a 67% 3P shooter more than an 87 game sample size as a 32% 3P shooter?