2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

IF the Warriors stand pat and don't trade their picks, who are the best fits for them? The team desperately needs another shot creator and someone that can get to the paint and then another shooter would be nice. Best options at #7 and #14? 

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

IF the Warriors stand pat and don't trade their picks, who are the best fits for them? The team desperately needs another shot creator and someone that can get to the paint and then another shooter would be nice. Best options at #7 and #14? 

Something like Keon at 7 and Giddey at 14 would be nice. 

They could also go total win now with Davion Mitchell and Corey Kispert or Duerte. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Something like Keon at 7 and Giddey at 14 would be nice. 

They could also go total win now with Davion Mitchell and Corey Kispert or Duerte. 

I started watching some of Johnson last week and he seems like his game will fit the NBA better than college. I'd like my guard to be a better shooter but there's a lot to like there and maybe he can develop into a Ja Morant type of player. 

Giddey? I haven't seen any of his game but see he's like a stretch four? Kispert would be awesome and he would get tons of open looks off the Steph/Dray pick and roll. 

Good stuff! This is what I was looking for! 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I started watching some of Johnson last week and he seems like his game will fit the NBA better than college. I'd like my guard to be a better shooter but there's a lot to like there and maybe he can develop into a Ja Morant type of player. 

Giddey? I haven't seen any of his game but see he's like a stretch four? Kispert would be awesome and he would get tons of open looks off the Steph/Dray pick and roll. 

Good stuff! This is what I was looking for! 

Giddey is a 6'8'' point guard. I think you can play him pretty much anywhere. He has a lot of the same criticisms as LaMelo Ball did last year as they were both super tall PGs in the NBL with bad shooting/scoring numbers but crazy rebounding and assist numbers. Definitely a gifted passer. Hes not as fluid and creative as LaMelo or as quick off the bounce which is why hes being mocked later. But I think its odd someone so tall with his passing and handle is getting more top10 love. 

I think in the NBA today which is all about versatility and team play a guy who can play and guard multiple positions and pass at a high level will stick around. Hes not a shooter right now though which is the biggest holdup. 

4 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Giddey is a 6'8'' point guard. I think you can play him pretty much anywhere. He has a lot of the same criticisms as LaMelo Ball did last year as they were both super tall PGs in the NBL with bad shooting/scoring numbers but crazy rebounding and assist numbers. Definitely a gifted passer. Hes not as fluid and creative as LaMelo or as quick off the bounce which is why hes being mocked later. But I think its odd someone so tall with his passing and handle is getting more top10 love. 

I think in the NBA today which is all about versatility and team play a guy who can play and guard multiple positions and pass at a high level will stick around. Hes not a shooter right now though which is the biggest holdup. 

Oh got it, I like that then. I was a big fan of Lamelo and I think these 19 year old prospects can definitely improve on their jump shot so that's not a huge thing for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a prospect that already has a good jump shot but I'm not going to be against taking someone who at the age of 18 or 19 does not have one yet. 

One thing this team needs is more athleticism though. Really lacked it and were exposed when facing young athletic teams like the Grizzlies. Johnson definitely fits that and I wonder if he's not the guy the team is looking for at #7 if they don't make a trade for someone like Siakam? 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Davion Mitchell at 7 and Jalen Johnson at 14 would be perfect.

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Warriors are probably better off trading the picks to try and capitalize on their window while they can, not a great draft after the first few guys are off the board. But if they do keep the picks I think the best possible outcome would be Moses Moody and Josh Giddey. 

Moody's not a sexy pick and his upside isn't as high as some other guys but I think he has a pretty high floor. He's 6'6" 205 with a 7'1" wingspan and is probably one of, if not the, best shooters in the draft. He probably won't ever offer a ton in terms of self creation or playmaking but he fits the 3&D mold to a tee. I think the best case scenario for him is a Khris Middleton type player, but either way he's a guy that will be able to play from day one and with his size/length he fits the Warriors style of play. 

Josh Giddey is a 6'8" point guard from Australia that would negate passing up on LaMelo last year. He's not a great shooter or scorer right now but he's an excellent playmaker. He'd essentially be able to fill the role that Shaun Livingston used to have off the bench. 

With both guys you'd be getting big wings that can switch on defense and play with your big 3. 

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Oh now I get the Kuminga defense mechanism that's sprung up in Bo. He was expected to go to Duke. It makes so much sense now. 

Over the last 5 draft cycles there have been 20 bigs selected in the top 10. If we could go back in time, how many of those teams do you think would pick that big again? 

2015 - KAT, Okafor, Porzingis, WCS, Kaminsky

2016 - Bender, Chriss, Poeltl, Maker 

2017 - Markkanen, Collins

2018 - Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, Bamba, Carter Jr

2019 - Hayes

2020 - Wiseman, Okongwu, Smith 

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Oh now I get the Kuminga defense mechanism that's sprung up in Bo. He was expected to go to Duke. It makes so much sense now. 

UNC is becoming a mid-major program sadly, I remember the myth that UNC produced pros and Duke didn't. Now Harrison Barnes is the best pro of the few who are still even in the league...

They should do a Duke vs UNC game for charity. 

Duke's starting 5: Kyrie Irving - RJ Barrett - Brandon Ingram - Jayson Tatum - Zion Williamson

UNC's starting 5: Cole Anthony - Coby White - Danny Green - Harrison Barnes - Tony Bradley

Who you got @beekay414

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They should do a Duke vs UNC game for charity. 

Duke's starting 5: Kyrie Irving - RJ Barrett - Brandon Ingram - Jayson Tatum - Zion Williamson

UNC's starting 5: Cole Anthony - Coby White - Danny Green - Harrison Barnes - Tony Bradley

Who you got @beekay414

is there anyway that Duke squad doesnt win by 30+?

The thing about going Mobley early is that it'll need to be a team that's in full rebuild mode for it to work. We saw this year with Wiseman in GS, they were worse on both ends of the floor when he was playing because he had such a big learning curve. And as soon as he got hurt they started winning and put themselves in playoff contention. But for Kerr he's in a weird spot because he's going to more or less have to keep Wiseman in the rotation going forward because the front office just used the #2 pick to draft him.

We saw the same thing with Rudy Gobert in the Clippers series. He was getting torched defensively and couldn't punish the Clippers small lineup on offense to make up for it. But Quinn Snyder's hand was kind of forced because the front office just gave him a max deal so benching him really wasn't an option.