2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Even looking back at like the last 15 NBA finals MVP's highlights how bigs are kind of being phased out. 

Over the last 15 years the Finals MVP has been: LeBron James (4x), Kawhi Leonard (2x), Kevin Durant (2x), Kobe Bryant (2x), Dwayne Wade (1x), Andre Iguodala (1x), Paul Pierce (1x), Dirk Nowitzki (1x), Tony Parker (1x). 

So over that span a big, athletic wing has been finals MVP 13 times, a smaller PG has won it once, and a stretch forward has won it once. Interesting. 

• Like 1

i dont get why people saying the warriors should have taken ball at 2 last season.  thats such hindsight.  wiseman was considered the better prospect of the 2, and him going to the warriors was a perfect fit since they had a huge need at center.  plus last time i checked ball plays PG and the warriors have a guy named steph curry playing the same position. 

Edited by Texansfan713

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

i dont get why people saying the warriors should have taken ball at 2 last season.  thats such hindsight.  wiseman was considered the better prospect of the 2, and him going to the warriors was a perfect fit since they had a huge need at center.  plus last time i checked ball plays PG and the warriors have a guy named steph curry playing the same position. 

Curry can do this crazy thing called "playing off ball". Check it out. It's wild.

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Curry can do this crazy thing called "playing off ball". Check it out. It's wild.

Wiseman over Ball at the time was a good decision.  Still took early to give up on Wiseman too. When you have 2 legit guards when healthy, you can afford to take a gamble on a big man who has upside.  Thats exactly what the Warriors did. 

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Wiseman over Ball at the time was a good decision.  Still took early to give up on Wiseman too. When you have 2 legit guards when healthy, you can afford to take a gamble on a big man who has upside.  Thats exactly what the Warriors did. 

I agree with this.  Myself and many were extremely skeptical of Lamelo and honestly I still am.  He is fun to watch but not a good defender and still not significantly impactful to winning.  I still like Wiseman and think he will be solid, just like Ayton took some time to find his roll.  I also think Ball would be less valuable to the Warriors than a team like Charlotte.  Last year was a tough year for all rookies having no summer league, no time between the draft and pre-season, and Wiseman missing a year of basketball before that.  He will be fine in the long run. 

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I agree with this. I preferred Wiseman and thought he was the smarter pick at the time (and obviously still has plenty of time to prove he was the smarter pick). I was simply commenting on your point that they didn't need to draft Ball because they have Curry. Curry is the most dangerous off-ball player in the NBA. Ball playmaking with Curry and Klay running off-ball action would be deadly.

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree with this.  Myself and many were extremely skeptical of Lamelo and honestly I still am.  He is fun to watch but not a good defender and still not significantly impactful to winning.  I still like Wiseman and think he will be solid, just like Ayton took some time to find his roll.  I also think Ball would be less valuable to the Warriors than a team like Charlotte.  Last year was a tough year for all rookies having no summer league, no time between the draft and pre-season, and Wiseman missing a year of basketball before that.  He will be fine in the long run. 

LaMelo Ball isn't impactful to winning?

As someone who had Wiseman as my second prospect this is the worst take in a while. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Wiesman had played like 1 game in a year and when have the Warriors ever really played a traditional 5 for extended minutes under Kerr? LaMelo would've been like a super charged Livingston. 

7 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I agree with this. I preferred Wiseman and thought he was the smarter pick at the time (and obviously still has plenty of time to prove he was the smarter pick). 

Was it really a smarter pick to take a guy who hadn't played in a year? And who you've only seen play against HS competition? 

59 minutes ago, Supersuavesky said:

As someone who had Wiseman as my second prospect this is the worst take in a while. 

LaMelo made the Hornets must watch TV last season. 

7 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

He was fun to watch, but they had a better win percentage when he was not playing.   Yes I know there are other factors but they seemed at their best once Bridges took over.  Ball is still a terrible defender, not a great shooter, although better than I expected, and his PER is just above league average.  Not to say he won't improve and help them win more in the future but he really didn't this year.  He just added some excitement. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Was it really a smarter pick to take a guy who hadn't played in a year? And who you've only seen play against HS competition? 

lets not act like people were that high on LaMelo coming out of high school compared to James Wiseman.