2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

24 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Well yeah, because I was not a believer in Ball.

Agreed.  And Wiseman did play three games which is a super small sample size but showed enough that he belonged.  Not to mention with the offseason workouts and combine they are able to get a good look at him.  

Ball was a career chucker that shot below 30% from 3 from high school through his stints overseas.  He was a huge risk that has played better than most expected.  But there was good reason to draft Wiseman. 

10 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Agreed.  And Wiseman did play three games which is a super small sample size but showed enough that he belonged.  Not to mention with the offseason workouts and combine they are able to get a good look at him.  

Ball was a career chucker that shot below 30% from 3 from high school through his stints overseas.  He was a huge risk that has played better than most expected.  But there was good reason to draft Wiseman. 

Yeah, the fact the Ball could shoot and defend decently as a pro despite showing no evidence being able to do so beforehand was kind of a gamechanger. Those were two of his three biggest red flags. I don't see why Wiseman can't be Capela with a jumper if he keeps his head on straight and works hard.

Is Cade Cunningham a lock to go No. 1?

Jonathan Givony: Cunningham is not any kind of lock at No. 1 from everything I've gathered. Detroit is continuing to conduct due diligence on a group that also includes Jalen Green and especially Evan Mobley, while also exploring several trade opportunities that have emerged.

Teams including Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans and Oklahoma City are among those making overtures to evaluate what it would take to move up to the No. 1 slot, sources say, but those talks are at an early stage, and any trade is unlikely to be consummated until much closer to the draft, if at all. From all accounts, Detroit is comfortable standing pat at No. 1 and taking Cunningham but will be active in exploring the possibility of trading down and obtaining additional assets, with Mobley a potential target if something gets done.

Edited by Texansfan713

I will be super sad if we trade out of 1 and end up with Mobley.  I want Green or Cade.  I dont care if it is at 1 or 2, but I dont really want to risk moving down further and missing on those 2.  Even if we got Sexton and 3 I wouldn't be excited about it. 

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

He was fun to watch, but they had a better win percentage when he was not playing.   Yes I know there are other factors but they seemed at their best once Bridges took over.  Ball is still a terrible defender, not a great shooter, although better than I expected, and his PER is just above league average.  Not to say he won't improve and help them win more in the future but he really didn't this year.  He just added some excitement. 

Except your wrong. LaMelo was a great shooter.. PRE INJURY.

He was shooting well over 40% from deep and over 45% from the field. His wrist never fully healed and so his shooting percentages dropped.

Defense? Yes, that part is fair. But his PER(Which shouldn't be used anyway) was much better before.

To say LaMelo didn't greatly impact winning is just plain wrong. He was having on the statistically best rookie seasons in years before his injury and forced himself back to try and make the playoffs.

The gap between him and Edwards was massive in terms of voting for a reason. He was just the plain better player. 

4 hours ago, Supersuavesky said:

Except your wrong. LaMelo was a great shooter.. PRE INJURY.

He was shooting well over 40% from deep and over 45% from the field. His wrist never fully healed and so his shooting percentages dropped.

Defense? Yes, that part is fair. But his PER(Which shouldn't be used anyway) was much better before.

To say LaMelo didn't greatly impact winning is just plain wrong. He was having on the statistically best rookie seasons in years before his injury and forced himself back to try and make the playoffs.

The gap between him and Edwards was massive in terms of voting for a reason. He was just the plain better player. 

He put up numbers, similar to Edwards later in the year but it didn't lead to winning.  It might in the future, but the key stat is the team did better without him playing this year.  His stats were fun to watch.  He is fun to watch and awards are rarely based on defense aside from DPOY. But he needs to be better as an all around player to help them win.  If he improves on his 2/1 Assist to TO and plays better defense, it likely will lead to winning.  It was his first year and I expect him to get better, but how much is the question. Either way he will be fun to watch.  

19 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

lets not act like people were that high on LaMelo coming out of high school compared to James Wiseman. 

At the end of the day scouts had film on LaMelo and none on Wiseman he played like 2 games at Memphis.

19 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Well yeah, because I was not a believer in Ball.

Regardless of if you love or hate LaMelo it has nothing to do with Wiseman. Wiseman as a prospect was such a huge wild card after sitting out for a year.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Regardless of if you love or hate LaMelo it has nothing to do with Wiseman. Wiseman as a prospect was such a huge wild card after sitting out for a year.

And Lamelo was a wild card as well.  As are most prospects.  Taking either of the guys from the G League is a wild card this year.  Drafting Euro players is a wild card.  The draft in general is a wild card and Wiseman was a top prospect and fit a huge need.  It made sense.  There was not a draft rankings or analyst that had Wiseman outside of the top 3.  It made sense and if you had concerns about Ball, the only other top 3 prospect available on everyone's board, then Wiseman was the correct choice.  It may not work out but there was enough there and enough scouts that agreed that his talent level was worthy of the pick, regardless of not having tape on him.  

18 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

And Lamelo was a wild card as well.  As are most prospects.  Taking either of the guys from the G League is a wild card this year.  Drafting Euro players is a wild card.  The draft in general is a wild card and Wiseman was a top prospect and fit a huge need.  It made sense.  There was not a draft rankings or analyst that had Wiseman outside of the top 3.  It made sense and if you had concerns about Ball, the only other top 3 prospect available on everyone's board, then Wiseman was the correct choice.  It may not work out but there was enough there and enough scouts that agreed that his talent level was worthy of the pick, regardless of not having tape on him.  

You had about 70 minutes of Wiseman film over a year period to evaluate him.

31 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You had about 70 minutes of Wiseman film over a year period to evaluate him.

And they had individual workouts, and combine and high school film against other top prospects.  Its no different than the old days when they drafted HS kids directly. Not much different than drafting Kyrie Irving #1 overall. Not much different than drafting Luka with film against far inferior competition.  Every prospect is risky.  If it was an exact science then guys like Jokic wouldnt make it to the second round.  Obviously it was a risk but he has the talent to be the pick per everyone in the scouting world. Any different opinion now is hindsight and figuring he won't progress in the future.