Warner Bros. to release ENTIRE 2021 Slate on HBOmax and Theaters

August4th

I agree that the movie theater experience is impossible to replicate at home for big blockbusters (outside of legit home theaters that super rich people have).

However, that's only true for actual blockbusters. Family movies? Comedies? Dramas? Thrillers? I don't need IMAX for that. 99% of moviegoers don't need IMAX to enjoy those. That's a huge chunk of the box office that movie theaters rely on where the general population likely won't return to give up that much money.

9 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I agree that the movie theater experience is impossible to replicate at home for big blockbusters (outside of legit home theaters that super rich people have).

However, that's only true for actual blockbusters. Family movies? Comedies? Dramas? Thrillers? I don't need IMAX for that. 99% of moviegoers don't need IMAX to enjoy those. That's a huge chunk of the box office that movie theaters rely on where the general population likely won't return to give up that much money.

This.

I for one relish the idea of having the option to see a crap comedy movie that has an actor I like at home for likely less cash than getting my but to the theater.

I am also down for theaters to become more of a boutique operation and less of a fit for the masses situation. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 6:32 AM, Outpost31 said:

I've told you all this is coming.  This was coming before COVID.  Covid just finalized it.

You don't do what Netflix does and not try to tap into that subscription market. 

The future of film isn't quality, but content. 

It's a really interesting time for film right now because there are so many things that could come from this.  It could go literally in ten thousand different ways.  This is probably one of the most interesting times in film history since I'd say the late 60's, early 70's and the film school generation of film. 

Gone are the eye candy family draw movies, teenage draw movies.  We're not getting those the way we used to pre-COVID.  I frankly wouldn't be surprised if the MCU either started to die or the movies started to look drastically different.  Thankfully for Disney, they had already started plans for television shows.  That might be the way they go forward and only make movies for the team ups. 

You're just not getting the 200 million dollar budgets anymore.  Not for a very long time, not until studios feel they've recuperated most of the 2020 box office losses, if ever. 

So you're either going to have highly talented filmmakers making more personal movies, more quality storytelling, or you're going to get flooded with micro budget movies just to pump out content for the sake of content. 

Each streaming service will probably have its own niche market. 

Disney will obviously be geared towards kids.  It will be really interesting to see what happens once they start releasing more adult films.  Will they have a separate streaming service?  Add an adult channel to Disney+ with a kids option like Netflix has? 

Amazon Prime will probably be the indie equivalent. 

HBO will survive.  They had the right idea at their inception.  Home Box Office.  They just didn't take advantage of streaming early enough or other people's content.  If they had, Netflix wouldn't exist. 

A while back I said network television is too far dead in the streaming wars race. 

I think that's true still.  I hope that's true still.  Making television based on ad revenue rarely if ever generates quality television.  Appealing to mass audiences while also appeasing to companies advertising on your channel is just a recipe for Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, mindless drivel.  

I think the only thing that will keep CBS/NBC/Fox afloat over the next decade or two is live sports, but even those are starting to go to the highest streaming bidders. 

I could ramble on and on for hours about the outlook of film, but I hate rambling and not having my thoughts together enough.  Bottom line is that right production companies in Hollywood are feeling exactly like Blockbuster video stores felt right before that whole thing happened.  Like, "Oh, ****, we should have started work on our own streaming service."

Or maybe I should say that's movie theaters. 

If I had to guess, I would guess movie theaters will never get back to 80% of their pre-COVID revenue.  There might be a couple major releases that make major money since people jsut want to see a new ****ing movie, but now that HBO is about to see their subscription boosts, same with Disney, same with Netflix who will be buying a bunch of these movies...

I'm just super content.  My theater room is completely finished.  There's nothing like watching movies alone without the possibility of some snot-nosed child crying or some dumb idiot asking some other dumb idiot about plot points or hearing a got damn wrapper crinkle.

I'm a fan of film's current direction. 

That's the key point. I need to build a theater room to get over theaters dying.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

next Nolan film might not be with WB, he's mad as hell about this. I wonder what studio will be willing the fund his next big budget original project. Sony?

I’m sure he’ll find another home easily enough. I’m not sure what kind of deal he has with WB. Does he owe them any films?  He’s mad as hell but he's the one who pushed WB to release Tenet which bombed bcuz of Covid. The studio is the one who took the biggest hit and lost hundreds of millions of dollars.  Nolan is extremely talented and makes excellent films but he’s in denial about a few things.  

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

He’s mad as hell but he's the one who pushed WB to release Tenet which bombed bcuz of Covid. The studio is the one who took the biggest hit and lost hundreds of millions of dollars.  Nolan is extremely talented and makes excellent films but he’s in denial about a few things.  

This x 1000.