Best Team: Packers, Bills or Browns

mdonnelly21

Best Team   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Best Team Right Now

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

That’s fine.

You could improve your point differential by 40 and you’d still be below every team that’s currently holding a playoff spot in the AFC, as well as the Ravens.

And you’d still be over 20 points behind the playoff team that has the worst point differential.

And that’s having played a very easy schedule.

I’ll be extremely happy for you guys if you end up making noise in the playoffs and prove me wrong. I don’t think any other fan base has in the NFL has earned it more. But I certainly wouldn’t bet any money on y’all to win a playoff game.

No one cares about point differential, especially without seeing how it actually took place. I'm sure the Browns point differential after the 3rd quarter is in the positive, they just play a lot of prevent because they had a lot of leads and work the clock more than trying to attack on offense.

14 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

No one cares about point differential, especially without seeing how it actually took place. I'm sure the Browns point differential after the 3rd quarter is in the positive, they just play a lot of prevent because they had a lot of leads and work the clock more than trying to attack on offense.

Actually a lot of people care about point differential, that’s why they track the stat on multiple different sites.

And like I said, you could increase the Browns point differential by 40 and it would still be the worst of all the playoff teams in the AFC by a fair bit.

Edited by Archimedes

16 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Actually a lot of people care about point differential, that’s why they track the stat on multiple different sites.

And like I said, you could increase the Browns point differential by 40 and it would still be the worst of all the playoff teams in the AFC by a fair bit.

Well the Browns have a better point differential over the last 6 weeks than the Chiefs, how does that make you feel?

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well the Browns have a better point differential over the last 6 weeks than the Chiefs, how does that make you feel?

It makes me feel like you had to cherry-pick an incredibly specific timeframe to arrive there. Why didn’t you go one more week to the last 7? I’m sure I know the answer.

It makes me feel like you had to cherry-pick an incredibly specific timeframe to arrive there. Why didn’t you go one more week to the last 7? I’m sure I know the answer.

Because the Chiefs have won 6 games in a row by one score, that's why. Their point differential in that time isn't good so that means...? They aren't that good? The Browns even have a loss in their last 6 games and have a better point differential. Don't you wish you could change places with the Browns and be 5-1 over your last 6 with a better point differential?

Yeah I don't think you would. Just like as a Browns fan I wouldn't switch places with the 4-10 Falcons just because they have a positive point differential. Find me anyone who thinks the Falcons are better than the Browns and I'll consider your point differential actually meaning something.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Because the Chiefs have won 6 games in a row by one score, that's why. Their point differential in that time isn't good so that means...? They aren't that good? The Browns even have a loss in their last 6 games and have a better point differential. Don't you wish you could change places with the Browns and be 5-1 over your last 6 with a better point differential?

Like I said, you cherry-picking a specific timeframe to try to negate a stat means nothing to me. Why don’t we extend your cherry-picked timeframe to 7 games? Or, even, gasp, how about the whole season. I know, truly a novel concept.

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I don't think you would. Just like as a Browns fan I wouldn't switch places with the 4-10 Falcons just because they have a positive point differential. Find me anyone who thinks the Falcons are better than the Browns and I'll consider your point differential actually meaning something.

Cool. So clearly the Browns are one of the best teams in the NFL because they’ve won 10 games. Why don’t you back that up by predicting them to make the AFCCG. After all, they’ve beaten the Titans, who beat the Bills, and they’ve also beaten the 10 win Colts. 

Your inability to correctly use point differential is your problem, not mine.

1 minute ago, Archimedes said:

Like I said, you cherry-picking a specific timeframe to try to negate a stat means nothing to me. Why don’t we extend your cherry-picked timeframe to 7 games? Or, even, gasp, how about the whole season. I know, truly a novel concept.

I used it because the Chiefs have 6 straight one score wins. If point differential matters you must be concerned about your Chiefs, correct?

3 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Cool. So clearly the Browns are one of the best teams in the NFL because they’ve won 10 games. Why don’t you back that up by predicting them to make the AFCCG. After all, they’ve beaten the Titans, who beat the Bills, and they’ve also beaten the 10 win Colts. 

Your inability to correctly use point differential is your problem, not mine.

I never said the Browns were going to make the AFCCG, not sure why you are going there. If you had watched the Browns games and saw how they didn't have a big point differential in games they easily won then you would be better able to use the point differential stat for them. You obviously haven't. Even if you did, it still doesn't matter. Well, if you are betting on games it matters but as long as you secure the W if you give up 24 4th quarter points playing prevent and aren't ever in doubt of winning I don't really care.

I'm not saying the Browns have been great all year... Or even that they are great now. But to discount them because of point differential is ridiculous.

Why are you cherry picking point differential? Why not choose some other stat like points scored. Hey look, the Titans are the best team in the NFL. Or defensive points scored? The Dolphins are the best.

It's silly to discount a team because of point differential especially without context.

We're way too far off of the topic of this thread. Packers and Bills are still ahead of the Browns. If the Browns win the AFCN this question becomes more interesting. Until then I'll give it to the division winners.

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:
34 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

I used it because the Chiefs have 6 straight one score wins. If point differential matters you must be concerned about your Chiefs, correct?

You used it because by cherry-picking that specific timeframe you imagine you’re making some kind of point. brought up point differential for the season. You’re the one bringing up the last 6 weeks. The onus is not on me to make sense out your point that I didn’t make.

18 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

the Browns were going to make the AFCCG, not sure why you are going there. If you had watched the Browns games and saw how they didn't have a big point differential in games they easily won then you would be better able to use the point differential stat for them. You obviously haven't. Even if you did, it still doesn't matter. Well, if you are betting on games it matters but as long as you secure the W if you give up 24 4th quarter points playing prevent and aren't ever in doubt of winning I don't really care.

I'm not saying the Browns have been great all year... Or even that they are great now. But to discount them because of point differential is ridiculous.

Why are you cherry picking point differential? Why not choose some other stat like points scored. Hey look, the Titans are the best team in the NFL. Or defensive points scored? The Dolphins are the best.

It's silly to discount a team because of point differential especially without context.

We're way too far off of the topic of this thread. Packers and Bills are still ahead of the Browns. If the Browns win the AFCN this question becomes more interesting. Until then I'll give it to the division winners.

My point was rather clear. The Browns are nowhere near as good as the Packers or Bills, and I think they’re the weakest playoff team in the AFC. And I used their weak point differential as evidence of that. I didn’t use points scored because I don’t evaluate teams solely off points scored. You’re free to do that if you want, but I certainly don’t. I do however, use point differential, as one tool in evaluating teams. And I’m far from the only person who does that.

Also, you keep conveniently omitting that I also pointed out that their point differential has come against a very weak schedule. So yes, I absolutely do discount them as things currently stand. 

You used it because by cherry-picking that specific timeframe you imagine you’re making some kind of point. brought up point differential for the season. You’re the one bringing up the last 6 weeks. The onus is not on me to make sense out your point that I didn’t make.

My point was rather clear. The Browns are nowhere near as good as the Packers or Bills, and I think they’re the weakest playoff team in the AFC. And I used their weak point differential as evidence of that. I didn’t use points scored because I don’t evaluate teams solely off points scored. You’re free to do that if you want, but I certainly don’t. I do however, use point differential, as one tool in evaluating teams. And I’m far from the only person who does that.

Also, you keep conveniently omitting that I also pointed out that their point differential has come against a very weak schedule. So yes, I absolutely do discount them as things currently stand. 

Weak schedule, sure. However the Packers have beat what? 1 winning team. When does their schedule get evaluated by you?

You have the Browns behind the Titans and Colts, two teams that they easily handled. You also have them behind the Steelers, a team they most likely will beat in two weeks if the trends stay the same. The Packers scored with 2:30 left to put away the Eagles as they were only up 7 at the time. The Browns were up 12 on the Eagles when the Eagles scored a TD with 30 seconds left. Just because the Browns put the Eagles away sooner and let a garbage time TD happen GB gets credited with being better?

Point differential is fun to look at, but you can't use it alone to determine anything.

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Funny how handing out a collective 11 losses to your opponents deceases their winning % lol

#maths

Checking the math again and the answer is Packers still have beaten one team with a winning record...

That’s the same amount as the Jets!

Edited by buno67

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Weak schedule, sure. However the Packers have beat what? 1 winning team. When does their schedule get evaluated by you?

I’m sorry that you’re having difficulty keeping up.

Packers = Good point differential with easy schedule.

Browns = Negative point differential with easy schedule.

Did you get all that?

You have the Browns behind the Titans and Colts, two teams that they easily handled. You also have them behind the Steelers, a team they most likely will beat in two weeks if the trends stay the same.

And there it is. I already knew you were going to go here, so I’ll reiterate the point I made earlier. Since the Browns beat the Titans “easily”, and the Titans handled the Bills easily, why don’t you just say the Browns are the second best team in the AFC, and predict them to make the AFCCG? I also like how the Steelers blowing out the Browns suddenly doesn’t matter, and you’re counting victories for them that haven’t even gotten yet.

Point differential is fun to look at, but you can't use it alone to determine anything.

Well gee, it’s almost like I also pointed out how weak their schedule was as well. I’d give the Browns a pass for their negative point differential if they had one of the hardest schedules in the NFL, an elite QB, an elite coach, a prior proven track record in the playoffs, or an elite defense. The coach is an unknown, so it’s possible he’s elite, but they have none of the other things.

The Browns have a lot to prove before I’m ready to consider them with the top teams of the AFC.

7 hours ago, Archimedes said:

indeed.
I came across one stat-head who suggested its a great predictor of NFL success - better than most other metrics

• Like 1