NBA GDT | '20-'21 | KD returns to GS tonight!

11sanchez11

2 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Apparently we gave Poku the same type of draft promise, but we still had to give up Ricky Rubio, Danny Green, and two late 1sts to make sure we got him.That says a lot about what they think about this potential.

For good reason, if he pans out he's going to be special. It's so rare to find guys that are his size with his movement ability and skill set. Assuming Poku pans out and SGA continues to improve you guys are in a good spot to contend in the West in a couple of years with all of that draft capital you've acquired. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, he's not a skilled big man, he's legit like a 7'1" guard/forward. He'll need to get stronger but that should come with time. IMO he has the highest upside of any player from the draft, he can be unreal if he hits ceiling. 

In Poku I see Dunvan Robinson at the 4 and occasionally as a modern day 5 with a little growth physically and more experience down low.

2 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I really like the three picks in the middle at 14-15-17 this year in Aaron Nesmith, Cole Anthony, and Aleksei Pokusevski. Although I think Poku was a missed opportunity for a lot of NBA teams.

If Poku hits his ceiling teams will look back and be kicking themselves like they do with Giannis. Not saying Poku will be Giannis level (MVP, top 5 player) but he has a chance to be special with his size and skill set. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

For good reason, if he pans out he's going to be special. It's so rare to find guys that are his size with his movement ability and skill set. Assuming Poku pans out and SGA continues to improve you guys are in a good spot to contend in the West in a couple of years with all of that draft capital you've acquired. 

Not sure what to think about teams like OKC that have an endless stockpile of these high-risk prospects. Sometimes we assume that kids like Bazely and Dort who showed promise in a few playoff games are going to trend upwards but then they flatline or flameout. Terrance Ferguson ended up being a huge disappointment. Now you add Poku and Maledon to the equation? Unlike the Spurs and Nuggets they don't have a a great deal of veteran leadership or player dev reputation.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

20 hours ago, Kirill said:

This is what blows my mind about Lonzo and LaMelo going in the top 3. They're good passers and thats literally it. Never seen dudes go in the top 3 for that reason alone. LiAngelo is probably better than these bums. I know Theo Maledon is a better PG than LaMelo and OKC got him in the 2nd round.

Maybe Magic (at the time) and Jordan being in charge of their teams has something to do with them getting overdrafted. Usually being that elite of a player doesn't correspond to being a good talent evaluator.

Tall guys who can handle and have great court vision are all the rage. LaMelo is really bad rn tho.

20 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

It HAS to be some combo of optics and potential. I mean, even us layman's can tell these kids have some talent. They played at a high level at multiple levels. They just can't get by on pure talent in the NBA. It isn't freaking possible. So franchises see the name value as butts in seats and eyes on the screen. They also see the raw talent and hope they can mold it into something. However, the kicker is these kids grew up full of themselves. Their father and then the media pumped them full of more hot air than naturally exists on planet Earth. They NEVER developed their skills because they believed so wholeheartedly in their pure talent they have the hubris to think they dont need to. Then they get to the NBA and they show flashes because talent will do that but they can't be consistent because they never developed their skills. 

I buy this description for LaMelo, but Lonzo strikes me as an unselfish and skilled player. He's just a poor athlete at his position.

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Not sure what to think about teams like OKC that have an endless stockpile of these high-risk prospects. Sometimes we assume that kids like Bazely and Dort who showed promise in a few playoff games are going to trend upwards but then they flatline or flameout. Terrance Ferguson ended up being a huge disappointment. Now you add Poku and Maledon to the equation? Unlike the Spurs and Nuggets they don't have a a great deal of veteran leadership or player dev reputation.

They didn't develop Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, and Steven Adams? 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

They didn't develop Kevin Durant, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, and Steven Adams? 

All those guys with the exception of Ibaka were lottery picks. Yeah I’m splitting hairs slightly, but these guys were much surer prospects that were developed two coaching staffs ago.

I’m not saying OKC has a bad reputation or anything.

Edited by redsoxsuck05

13 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

All those guys with the exception of Ibaka were lottery picks. Yeah I’m splitting hairs slightly, but these guys were much surer prospects that were developed two coaching staffs ago.

I’m not saying OKC has a bad reputation or anything.

OKC wasn't going to compete for a championship with the roster they had so they decided to rebuild. SGA was a lottery pick and took a major jump in year two. We'll have to see what they do with all of their draft capital but they're in a pretty decent spot heading into the 1st year of a major rebuild after making the playoffs in 10 of the 11 previous seasons. 

Edited by NYRaider

18 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

George Hill has been the player coach so far. He said in his first interview here his job is to lead and mentor these guys and you can see him coaching guys on the sidelines. Horford is also a good veteran presence but more so in terms of his skillset. Good floor spacer and a good passer who will provide plenty of scoring opportunities for our young guards.

I feel like Presti tells these guys if they just chill and are a good lockerroom presence he'll help send them where they want to go in when a trade materializes. Thats what he did with Chris Paul. We also got Ariza but he's not with the team, not sure what his deal is.

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Excited for this season for the Warriors. I think a 4th seed is not out of the question for this team. 

Hopefully Kerr throws Wiseman into the fire and starts him tonight. No Draymond but tbh no surprise. 

I can't wait either! Without Draymond, the first two games may be a little ugly but they should be fine once he returns. So much unknown with Wiseman since he hardly played last year and didn't play in preseason. But yeah, you start him and let him have his growing pains. I can't imagine him getting more than 15-20 minutes today though. 

Super interested in seeing if the Nets can have a top 12-15 defense this season. Their offense is going to be insane and if they can have an average to above average defense, this team is going to be scary good. If they get in the top 10 defensively? It's a wrap as long as they stay healthy. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Super interested in seeing if the Nets can have a top 12-15 defense this season. Their offense is going to be insane and if they can have an average to above average defense, this team is going to be scary good. If they get in the top 10 defensively? It's a wrap as long as they stay healthy. 

I feel like it's much more likely they finish in the bottom 5 than top 15.